Everton fanbase - how to make a positive contribution to the team's success

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with the OP and from what I can see he's not 'blaming' the fans but questioning what positive difference can the fans make?

We've all seen it in a game, all it takes is for one hard tackle to go in or a forward sprinting around to close the ball down and it sparks the crowd into action... When that happens it seems to give the players added impetus and can completely turn a performance round.

Everyone understands the current total apathy and frustration that seems to cloud home games from the very start, but I completely understand the OP's intelligent and well thought out post. It's just almost impossible these days to make fans do anything until they're entertained, despite it leading to a vicious circle of toxicity.

Been saying this for yonks. I can understand fans getting frustrated and angry, especially when they see men who earn more each week than the fan does in a year not trying, but I entirely agree we consistently see a confidence issue.

Look at Vardy - the marginal difference between a player working away in the conference, and a top scorer in a championship winning team IS confidence and belief.

Fans who play must surely understand the effect confidence has on their own game. Just a simple word of encouragement from the sidelines can get an extra yard of pace and determination from a player. Being told you're [Poor language removed] by 30000 people and you're going to start believing it. You become hesitant and scared, you second guess yourself and hold back. Sound familiar?

As a coach at school footie I would sub off or drop any player who started to be negative about another's performance (or cheat/dive/argue) I coached the team to encourage one another. Players know when they've made a mistake, they really do. My players said things like "never mind mate, just make sure it doesn't happen next time". The captain was under orders to praise even if they had to lie through their teeth! Parents cottoned on and did the same. I had a lot of very successful teams made of well drilled, disciplined, ordinary but confident players.

As I say, I don't blame people getting angry and booing. I want to do the same, but really we need to be a bit smarter as fans, grit our teeth and encourage. Put the support back into supporter ffs.

I agree with this to a certain extent. Pundits have described Goodison in previous years as a Bear Pit and a tough ground to play at - are we guilty of making it a Bear Pit for our own players?
That said, I want to see 100% effort and commitment from anyone wearing an Everton shirt - fighting for every ball, every second ball etc which has been sadly lacking of late

It seems that we are in an endless cycle of hire and fire. We hire a manager, expectations are high, inevitably they go through a rough patch (i.e. hovering around mid table) and quickly face uproar and cries for the axe

Expectations are higher than they used to be. Moyes wouldn't have achieved what he did in later years without being given time early on to find his feet. Yes, the money is now there, but the Premier League is tough and it's very difficult to deliver top 6 instantly. Also, it's hard for us to attract a top, top manager. There needs to come a point where we back someone through the peaks and troughs, to incrementally strengthen our position. Perhaps then, in time, we will be able to attract world class

Re the Everton fanbase - there seems to be a somewhat toxic culture. 'Fans' like to go along to games, sit back with no accountability themselves and then happily rip into any perceived shortcomings of the team on the pitch, often with no real thought the the big picture, what's really going on and whether 'carrot' or 'stick' will be most effective

Player psychology is a massive part of football and hugely important. Whether players play with confidence or fear makes the world of difference. Unrealistic fan expectations / trigger happy approach to criticism has the potential to instill fear into the manager and team

I believe the focus needs to be turned on to the fans themselves. The team are training incredibly hard every day in a professional way, driving for 1% gains. But it seems there is massive potential for efficiency gains in the way fans contribute to Everton's success - at least a 50% gain. Fans contribution to positive player psychology could be the difference between an upward spiral and a downward spiral - intelligent support could really have some effect on results, giving players that bit extra when playing at Goodison

I'm not sure exactly how this should be executed, but the Everton fanbase leaders should really consider it. Whoever runs this forum can see all the negative threads on here and the patterns over time of slagging off these expensive and previously successful international players who have been brought to the club. But none of this has any positive effect on results. If fans put more thought into how every action they take can contribute to positive player psychology and in turn results, as the manager and players are doing, this can only help. In this age of social media, the fanbase leaders should be able to reach out more widely to build a strategic and educated approach amongst the fans at large

This would be pioneering as I'm not sure how many other teams are trying to optimise fan contribution at the moment or looking at the correlation between fanbase culture and success. You can certainly see it in international football - where at times smaller nations with great team spirit and lower expectations play with much more confidence and positivity...

Now that Everton has greater resources, an intelligent army of fans behind the team could help unlock the potential...
Was this taken from Pravda or Isvestia?...one means truth, the other means (losely) news
*spoken in cod russian accent* There is old russian proverb about Pravda & Istvetia, that says...there no 'news' in the 'truth' and no 'truth' in the 'news'
Pure EFC partyline stuff this

Theres got to be a team for the fans to get behind or even a player like when we had Ferguson.

But a lot of fans wont wait till a team is built.

It seems that we are in an endless cycle of hire and fire. We hire a manager, expectations are high, inevitably they go through a rough patch (i.e. hovering around mid table) and quickly face uproar and cries for the axe

Expectations are higher than they used to be. Moyes wouldn't have achieved what he did in later years without being given time early on to find his feet. Yes, the money is now there, but the Premier League is tough and it's very difficult to deliver top 6 instantly. Also, it's hard for us to attract a top, top manager. There needs to come a point where we back someone through the peaks and troughs, to incrementally strengthen our position. Perhaps then, in time, we will be able to attract world class

Re the Everton fanbase - there seems to be a somewhat toxic culture. 'Fans' like to go along to games, sit back with no accountability themselves and then happily rip into any perceived shortcomings of the team on the pitch, often with no real thought the the big picture, what's really going on and whether 'carrot' or 'stick' will be most effective

Player psychology is a massive part of football and hugely important. Whether players play with confidence or fear makes the world of difference. Unrealistic fan expectations / trigger happy approach to criticism has the potential to instill fear into the manager and team

I believe the focus needs to be turned on to the fans themselves. The team are training incredibly hard every day in a professional way, driving for 1% gains. But it seems there is massive potential for efficiency gains in the way fans contribute to Everton's success - at least a 50% gain. Fans contribution to positive player psychology could be the difference between an upward spiral and a downward spiral - intelligent support could really have some effect on results, giving players that bit extra when playing at Goodison

I'm not sure exactly how this should be executed, but the Everton fanbase leaders should really consider it. Whoever runs this forum can see all the negative threads on here and the patterns over time of slagging off these expensive and previously successful international players who have been brought to the club. But none of this has any positive effect on results. If fans put more thought into how every action they take can contribute to positive player psychology and in turn results, as the manager and players are doing, this can only help. In this age of social media, the fanbase leaders should be able to reach out more widely to build a strategic and educated approach amongst the fans at large

This would be pioneering as I'm not sure how many other teams are trying to optimise fan contribution at the moment or looking at the correlation between fanbase culture and success. You can certainly see it in international football - where at times smaller nations with great team spirit and lower expectations play with much more confidence and positivity...

Now that Everton has greater resources, an intelligent army of fans behind the team could help unlock the potential...
Still blaming the fans and think fans are 'accountable.' Your posts continue to astound.

The team is a bunch of broken pieces right now being held up by a foundation of tissue paper. Any little shake and it tears the foundation to shreads. The team doesn’t need anymore reason to rock the boat but the “fans” are definitely giving it to them.

Let’s let a foundation grow for a change and see what happens. As I see it something is better than nothing and if we let that something grow it could turn out to be truly spectacular

Still blaming the fans and think fans are 'accountable.' Your posts continue to astound.
How have the supporters (home and away) done the team/club any justice lately?

I remember on this forum when we went to play Bournemouth the mockery we were making of their fan base for being mouse quiet during games and barely knowing they’ve shown up.

That’s aged well. Especially when our home fanbase can be outshone by any given teams U17 support group.

When I think of a team and how a fan base can affect them I think of the 2014 Brazil WC squad. Every national anthem for Brazil gave me chills and inspired the team to their very best on every occasion until the Germany game. When Germany went up 1 goal the stadium fell to a whisper and the team noticeably grew anxious. Then Germany scored their second and the uproar immediately ensued with whistling and jeering at the team and they went into full on melt down.

Of course they went on to lose 7-1 but it is THE best example anyone will need when saying fans have no part in the game on the pitch and that they aren’t accountable for playing a part in the teams form.

The team plays well...get behind the team.
The team plays like crap...get behind the team.

Support the players, all the players, until they aren’t our players anymore. Then support the players that replace them.
Support the manager until he gets the sack. Which will happen, sooner or later, and hope like hell the next one is competent.

We’ve had a lot players. Some better than others. Same goes for the managers.
All wore/wear royal blue.

I follow Everton, good or bad. That doesn’t mean I forfeit my right to praise or criticize. If they stink the joint up. I’ll tell anybody who’ll listen what I think. But I am an Evertonian, and that will never change.

COYB

Goodison is packed out every game.We have great away support.Since 1987, we have only won 1 trophy, an FA Cup win from 24 years ago.Yet people seem to think the fans are the problem.I just don't get it.The fans and the football in the community department, are the only things, this club has going for it at the moment.

Goodison is packed out every game.We have great away support.Since 1987, we have only won 1 trophy, an FA Cup win from 24 years ago.Yet people seem to think the fans are the problem.I just don't get it.The fans and the football in the community department, are the only things, this club has going for it at the moment.

No they don’t. Saying our fans are the reason we’re crap and merely stating our fans are terrible are completely different things.

Incredible this, the manager is absolutely clueless and staggeringly out of his depth. The vast majority of the players don't look like they care one single jot about the club, our owners seem completely bewildered by it all and have not the slightest clue what to do about it and the club is in serious long term danger of things getting even worse.

Should we talk about all that? Nah, there's more important things to discuss! let's moan about the fans not singing enough instead! Unreal!

why go to the game just to boo?

Does anyone do this? So when we score they stand there booing while others clap?

Once again, another fabrication of the truth; that the fan blamers love to use.

The truth is, when the fans put the effort and desire in that is expected of a professional sportsman; the fans react. When they don’t, the fans don’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.