Best players you have played with who never made it

Status
Not open for further replies.
....many years ago Bobby Charlton apparently mentioned a Liverpool lad called John O’Leary as the best amateur he’d ever seen. Some on here might have seen him. O’Leary must have been 17stone but nobody could get the ball off him, amazing ability. Nice lad, and if I remember rightly a big Evertonian (hope my memory is right) but he was a player.

...think this is one for a different forum (Ale House or World Football). It doesn’t seem appropriate on the Everton Forum.

I played youth football at a professional club for years, so there are plenty. Often a rizzla paper between those who come through and those who don’t, but those who do usually have attitude. Probably as much surprised at one or two who played top flight as a few who didn’t.

Yes it's surprising that some you'd back to hit the heights and didn't and some who you think didn't have much of a chance and finished up playing for England: example watching Liverpool Boys tears ago the two strikers were Bill Kenny and David Johnson, most fans watching would have back Kenny to be one for the future and not many would have gone for Johnson, yet look how it turned out.

....many years ago Bobby Charlton apparently mentioned a Liverpool lad called John O’Leary as the best amateur he’d ever seen. Some on here might have seen him. O’Leary must have been 17stone but nobody could get the ball off him, amazing ability. Nice lad, and if I remember rightly a big Evertonian (hope my memory is right) but he was a player.

Yes John O'Leary a Kirkby lad, very good amateur player, think he had trials for Spurs ( but not sure) yes Eggs he was a
big Everton fan.

Heard of him Eggs,wasn't he a Kirkby lad?

Friend of mine got scouted by Ajax, took him over for a trial. Was just after they won the champions league. Had him over for a week but told him he was to small. Got to have a kick about with a few of the 1st team and got to get his picture taken with them all. He's an insurance broker now said he was too heart broken after being turned down, hardly kicked a ball after it.

I think that happens quite a bit that (getting rejected and then it affecting the player to the point where they lose heart). My brother in laws son played for Stockport County (he must have been 16/17 at the time) and Blackburn (when they were really good) were sniffing round. He stayed at Stockport for whatever reason (can't remember) and they released him and it absolutely destroyed him, just lost all his hunger, desire and confidence....and fitness.

Few of his mates done ok semi pro, whilst he worked for an electrical company delivering tvs for a few years.

..he is, Dario, worked for Otis I think. Played against him a few times and he made you smile he was so skilfull. He might be a GOT member.
Only played Southport and District League football myself Eggs,but played a lot of table tennis around Liverpool and played Otis in the Liverpool Business Houses League many times:)

Played with a lad who played a handful of games for Bristol City, in Div 4 in old money.

Another who (he said) played England Schoolboys at Wembley, but he did end up on Bristol Rovers books till he sunk into non league.

Both a planet better than me mind.

Adam Forshaw was in my year at school so I played with him many times in PE and once for the school team before Everton banned him from playing. Highlight of his Everton career unfortunately was slipping over while running out of the tunnel for his debut against BATE Borisov.

I think that happens quite a bit that (getting rejected and then it affecting the player to the point where they lose heart). My brother in laws son played for Stockport County (he must have been 16/17 at the time) and Blackburn (when they were really good) were sniffing round. He stayed at Stockport for whatever reason (can't remember) and they released him and it absolutely destroyed him, just lost all his hunger, desire and confidence....and fitness.

Few of his mates done ok semi pro, whilst he worked for an electrical company delivering tvs for a few years.

He just give up, he only said years later a few other clubs in England wanted him over but he refused the offers. Guess professional football isn't for everybody.

My nephew, but I never played football alongside him. He was on Everton's books and they let him go and he ended up at Newcastle. Had real potential but got homesick and gave it all up 'cos he missed his mum. Ended up as a postie, then nicked all the xmas cards with money in them and ended up in jail.

Always found it strange watching some players and thinking how's he made it say for instance your average west brom or boro defenders / midfielders but is it right place right time for them or are they a class above anyone we have grew up with or watched . I think a bit of luck and your environment you grow up in matters a lot IE a good family and no drugs or gangs around you .maybe am wrong and them players mentioned are better but I don't think so . I seen quite a lot of good players growing up around Liverpool in 70s/ 80s

Status
Not open for further replies.