Homepage Update: Scouse or English?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you need to define it more, because I'm scouse from the north of town, but scouse means I'm counted as the same from those from South Liverpool, and they're weird down there. Having said that, there's areas in North Liverpool that aren't hard, so it's Walton scouse. But then our estate was harder than the others, and in our estate our road was harder than the next road, and we used to beat them at footy, so I don't want to be associated with those gimps.
So it really is our road that's the best, mind you next door didn't always give us our ball back, so it really is our house. Of course we don't want grown ups or girls to win, so it was our bedroom. But I'm better than my brother at subutteo, so top bunk is ultimately where my loyalty lies.

I was born at Oxford St and grew up in Hunts Cross so I guess that makes me neither Scouse or British then.:D

To be honest really we're British but not English. Outside of Liverpool most of England treats us like dirt, so I've never been inclined to support them. Never supported England ever really, tried to understand why, whether because my parents are Serbian, but then found many Scousers don't support England either. I can't explain why, whether it's the Irish influence, or people treating us like thieves and benefit scroungers, I'll never consider myself English or support England. I've never supported Serbia either, so maybe I'm just not into nationalism of any kind. If I visit Bosnia, Croatia, or Serbia I tell them I consider myself British rather than Serbian, some accept it, some don't. Strangely almost everyone in Germany identifies with their parents homeland, whether Turkey, Poland, Italy, Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia, Albania or Kurdistan, you don't tend to get that in Britain. I've always found it strange when you see the children of gasterbeiters going round Croatia, Bosnia, or Serbia lecturing people on the war, when they weren't even there at the time. I remember having an argument with a German of Serbian heritage, who was lecturing me on how I was a traitor to define myself as British, and how Britain had damaged Serbia, he then boasted about all the Turkish girls he'd dated and his love of Turkish culture, like the Turks didn't colonise us for centuries, idiot. Personally I don't care about all that nationalist politics, I hate David Vujanic even though he's a Serb, because he's an ethnic Serb from Croatia, raised in London who supports Liverpool. I love Britain and British people, but Scousers more than anybody else, nobody has the welcoming nature than Scousers do.

I can understand the conflict of family history at play here. Such as as those with irish backgrounds and the likes of @JelavicBrate2
What I am not having is the kopite behaviour which then starts supporting anyone but England, not for some affilation to another country but because they think its gives them extra points as a club fan. Its highlights people as cult members over football fans.
The rest of the country doesn't hate people from Liverpool, any more than they hate Brummies, Geordies, Cockneys. Politics from 80s is ancient history, the city centre is benefiting from investment all over. Its Kopite victim syndrome that keeps that myth going.
I think its great that every couple of years, the vast majority of the the country can't drop the club affiliation and support the national team. Its like christmas for me. The fact that the reds of Liverpool and Manchester are incapable of doing that makes them look like brain dead idiots

The rest of the country doesn't hate people from Liverpool, any more than they hate Brummies, Geordies, Cockneys

Obviously you’re entitled to your opinion, I don’t agree with it though! But one thing I would question is that quote above. I’m a contractor and worked all over the country for the last 25 years. In my experience, scousers are defo not looked on favourably by most. I have to say though, judging by some of the other scousers I’ve come across in that time, I can’t blame them. Some Scousers seem to have play up to the stereotype all the time.

Lots of really good responses and interesting viewpoints on here. From my perspective they are all welcome and I'l glad people are reflecting on how they create an identity. Thats what it's always been for me. Very quickly I crafted an identity as an Evertonian and basically hated the rest of the country. I never quite got around coming together. We are all different though.

Here's another interesting question, if there was a merseyside football team (a national team akin to say Catalunya) would you support them? As well as England? Instead of? How do you reckon they would do?

1986 world cup team selections destroyed my interest in England. I have and will never be interested in them, and haven't seen anything over the time in between to change my opinion on them. Although right now I can see that Southgate is trying to change it. Good luck to him.

Never hear Manc not English or Geordie not English, but the Kopites come put with scouse not English becuase they think everything evolves around them

Lots of really good responses and interesting viewpoints on here. From my perspective they are all welcome and I'l glad people are reflecting on how they create an identity. Thats what it's always been for me. Very quickly I crafted an identity as an Evertonian and basically hated the rest of the country. I never quite got around coming together. We are all different though.

Here's another interesting question, if there was a merseyside football team (a national team akin to say Catalunya) would you support them? As well as England? Instead of? How do you reckon they would do?
Who would play for them? Judas? Davies? Gerrard out of retirement?

Never hear Manc not English or Geordie not English, but the Kopites come put with scouse not English becuase they think everything evolves around them
The way i class myself is someone who was born in fazak hosy,lived in the city my whole life,been brought up an Evertonian (THANK GOD) and always will be,and our city is in England.So im a scouse Evertonian who is English.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.