Everton are small time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Facts are the money we spent is nowhere near enough to bridge a gap of consecutive seasons of much bigger spending across the teams above us. City alone spent over £400M this summer last under Guardiola. Chelsea have spent around £275M over the same period and Man Utd around £300M and all 3 will have dwarfed us in spending in previous seasons as well albeit under different managers.

Bang on.

The trouble with Kenwright, like many ex Merseyside luvvies (Tarbuck, Black and plazzy Liverpudlian Bish....) is that they have this antiquated, parodied view of ‘scousers’ being ‘salt of the earth’ ‘no nonsense’ types, who wear their hearts on their sleeves, have a rolled up copy of the eccccho in their arse pockets and will have a drink with anybody who’s ‘dead sound like’. They have a deep mistrust of anybody from outside the city, especially those that don’t talk to them on their own level ((tories). They luv their togger but have no time for players who don’t put in a shift. Get trounced if you must, but as long as you roll up your sleeves and get stuck in, they’ll luv ya. Hence the misnomers such as ‘plucky little Everton’ and ‘Everton, that’ which the media litters about us in the press.

The point I’m making is that good ol’ Bill has filled Moshiri’s head with this nonsense (wants to be his friend too) hence Moshiri’s puzzling comments on the radio about McCarthy and wanting to reward us with a stadium. Telling us what he thinks we want to hear is merely propaganda to get away with limited investment, for maximum gain. I like Unsworth and I wish him the best, however, in footballing terms, he’s bargain basement working with a group of individuals who were either free (youngsters), existing e.g. Jagielka or cost next to nothing in current footballing terms (the lot in the summer). But as long as everybody is seen to ‘die for the club’, that’s okay, then.

Talk about hoodwinking and condescension: and that’s from our own board!

It’s this about Kenwright that irks.

Bill just sold the dream of Everton to Mr Moshiri...like he has sold the dream to many others...its just that Mr Moshiri was a bigger than usual sell.Nothing at all wrong with that. Its amazing how many Evertonians hold Bill Ks showbusiness background against him when he is extremely successful and respected in his core business. The use of the word 'luvvie' in a derogatory manner is common,but misplaced. Not all theatricals are 'luvvies', and theres nothing wrong with being a successful 'luvvie',in any case.
Its a misconception on the part of many scousers that successful scousers who have moved out of the area are traitors to Scouseland, Tories,or pseudo snobs. That is simply not true, and in my experience,having met a lot of successful scousers,including many in show business, they are virtually all still scousers at heart, whatever their political leanings,sexual preferences(!), or reputation !

I've just read my post back...and its not to far away from your opinion anyway!!

The top managers don't worry about reputation, it's like a money merry-go-round with them, all managers expect to get sacked at some stage, to most it's been more beneficial with pay offs than staying the course, see RM, didn't do him any harm or Moyes after Man u.
Contracts with managers work eitherway with success or failure it seems.
Whether that's the case or not, I'm not sure I really want someone hear if what you say is correct, it makes it sound they are not really bothered about doing there job, it's just the money side they are worried about.

That comes across as let's not try. Let's keep it with just Evertonians with the staff and just young players coming through. Don't go spending money or showing ambition because there's a chance it won't work and the big boys will laugh at us.

Facts are the money we spent is nowhere near enough to bridge a gap of consecutive seasons of much bigger spending across the teams above us. City alone spent over £400M this summer last under Guardiola. Chelsea have spent around £275M over the same period and Man Utd around £300M and all 3 will have dwarfed us in spending in previous seasons as well albeit under different managers.

Spurs are the most obvious exception to this but they still outspend a lot of clubs in this division but spend it very well with an eye on balancing the books. And even they have the odd blip such as Janssen. The RS have cut back on their spending in the last couple of years and it's really beginning to show.

As for big name managers then Koeman simply wasn't one. Success in Holland and a decent finish in the PL with Southampton is not the stuff of stellar reputations. A great player but his managerial reputation has yet to scale any heights.
Yes 3 to 4 hundred million spent would probably help, but I'm a realist and what's works for other teams doesn't usually for Everton, we need to invent our own brand of how we do things. I'm not even sure if I would want us to buy 40/50 million players for every position, it need a balance of experience and using our very good youth system, Unsworth is a different approach and I'm happy going that way, say Ancelotti comes in you can say bye to much chance of our youngsters coming through. The ones that have been playing are the only ones that have been regularly been putting decent performances in.

There is no sentimentalism with my wish to give Unsworth a chance. He is a class manager at U23 and he understands Everton. To me, he is less of a risk than our previous 2 managers. If he doesn't impress, then we as a club can have a word and change the boss and I will accept it was a mistake - and I think he would too. I honestly think he could be the man to push us on; whether that be short or long term, I am not sure.

Yes 3 to 4 hundred million spent would probably help, but I'm a realist and what's works for other teams doesn't usually for Everton, we need to invent our own brand of how we do things. I'm not even sure if I would want us to buy 40/50 million players for every position, it need a balance of experience and using our very good youth system, Unsworth is a different approach and I'm happy going that way, say Ancelotti comes in you can say bye to much chance of our youngsters coming through. The ones that have been playing are the only ones that have been regularly been putting decent performances in.

First of all I'm all in favour of letting Unsworth have a run at it and am not completely sold on the idea of Ancelotti. Personally I reckon he's holding fire anyway and would be more interested in a London based job but that's a different subject. I'd also love to see plenty of academy lads becoming 1st team stars. However....

How do we know that successful methods for other sides don't work for us? We have not been in the position of trying those methods since the PL started and with the huge raise in transfer fees I'm not sure we are there yet. The tried and trusted method has been to spend money on what is needed to strengthen and improve - It's worked for all the league winners with the exception of Leicester which was a freak occurrence and arguably the Utd "Kids" side which was also remarkably unusual to have so many PL ready youngsters come through the academy at the same time. And even after that they still go out and spend more money as youth systems will not likely continually throw up good enough players for top PL teams year after year.

If the right players for the team cost 40/50M and we can afford that then that's what should be done. If the right player is available for less money or even more then that's what I'd like us to be doing. We should look to be getting in excellent players to benefit the young players - if it means they find it harder to get into the side then that's not necessarily a bad thing. It just raises standards.

First of all I'm all in favour of letting Unsworth have a run at it and am not completely sold on the idea of Ancelotti. Personally I reckon he's holding fire anyway and would be more interested in a London based job but that's a different subject. I'd also love to see plenty of academy lads becoming 1st team stars. However....

How do we know that successful methods for other sides don't work for us? We have not been in the position of trying those methods since the PL started and with the huge raise in transfer fees I'm not sure we are there yet. The tried and trusted method has been to spend money on what is needed to strengthen and improve - It's worked for all the league winners with the exception of Leicester which was a freak occurrence and arguably the Utd "Kids" side which was also remarkably unusual to have so many PL ready youngsters come through the academy at the same time. And even after that they still go out and spend more money as youth systems will not likely continually throw up good enough players for top PL teams year after year.

If the right players for the team cost 40/50M and we can afford that then that's what should be done. If the right player is available for less money or even more then that's what I'd like us to be doing. We should look to be getting in excellent players to benefit the young players - if it means they find it harder to get into the side then that's not necessarily a bad thing. It just raises standards.
Some good points there, my worry is though that I don't want us to lose our identity as a decent carding football club, it's well documented we look after retired players well and out gesture to the little Sunderland fan who sadly lost his fight against illness was a truly decent thing for us to do! That's just 2 things there's many more. I still feel that Man Utd and Liverpool have some there identity of old left even though they have sound a lot of money, if we can go that way I'm fine with it. I just feel Chelsea and Man city have lost there identity of old and that's the way I don't really want to see us go. I very much in favour of us so ending lots of money but I just hope it's the right balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.