Trevor Steven

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one thing that makes me sad is during the Cup Winners Cup final Brian Clough was co commentator ( I think ) and he said something along the lines of "This exciting young Everton side are going to dominate English and European football for many years to come "
Ah well.
Was watching you tube vid of that hame a few weeks ago and I picked up on that comment. What could have been.

I was fortunate enough to have seen four great wingers at Everton, Johhny Morrissey, Dave Thomas, Andrei and Trev. trev was the most skillful by miles, Andrei was the biggest goal threat, Dave Thomas the best crosser of a ball and Morrissey had a little bit of all three mixed with some Pat van den Hauwe too! Jink past one, turbo past another, score a wicked volley then chin the centre half! :)
Moggsy was the most complete winger I have seen, Shankley almost resigned over Liverpools board selling him to us. As you say he was a very tough customer as well, in Jack Charlton's auto biography, he admits that there were only two names in his "little black book", Hutchinson of Chelsea and Morrissey of Everton. Moggsy broke big Jack's ankle and then stood over him and said, " are you ok big,man?"

A truly under rated player, just 1 token England cap in the twilight of his career, don't even Remember if it was full England or a football league 11, for posters old enough to remember them.

Was watching you tube vid of that hame a few weeks ago and I picked up on that comment. What could have been.

Given that the team would have gone on almost certainly to add at least a couple more titles and been favourites to have won a European cup as well, then going into the formation of the premier league the entire landscape of footy and the club would have been changed dramatically.

Almost impossible to imagine Johnson and thus kenwright would have happened, similarly the profile of the club would have been at a peak just as the league went global.

Club should have sued the rs for the financial consequences that lead from their actions.

Tricky and Gary Stevens. What a right hand side. That team would have been good in any era of football.

Physically capable of looking after themselves, skillful, strong mentally and they worked as a team. The last time 'Nil satis nisi optimum' really applied.

Trevor Steven is always slick with sweat in my recollection, with his eyes squinting and his front teeth showing from under his scowling top lip. A player prepared to win, and wouldn't accept being part of an under performing team as per our current form.

I recall when I used to buy Shoot magazine as a teenager, Jimmy Greaves in the letters page questioned his ability and what "he's ever done in his career to justify big moves and big wages".

It had me fuming and Tricky Trev was just starting his second spell at Rangers by then.

Created goals. Scored goals. Tracked back and helped his right back and just glided past players. Put quality balls into the box and was very good in the air (remember his belting header against Southampton in the 6-1 win in 86). Absolute class player, huge loss for us when he went and a genuine Blues legend.

I did think though he underperformed in the FA Cup finals of 85, 86 and 89 though.

Trev was technically excellent he could also take a kicking and give it back infact that whole team in the 80's was a mix of guile and steel
his head did get turned the last couple of seasons of his everton career that fan running on the pitch giving him abuse was the end of it

One of my all time favourite players.

Not underrated on Merseyside (even rs mates of a certain vintage rated him).

However, in true England fashion, in a world where Sammy Lee has more caps than Kendall, Harvey, Morrisey and Dobson combined*, It's no surprise to know that He's not mentioned much by the mainstream media when talking about past legends.

*Let that sink in for a second

Status
Not open for further replies.