Match Thread Everton vs Ruzemberok, Thursday 27th July, 8.05pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
No tempo and we looked like a team of strangers, the Martina/Calvert Lewin combo didn't work, worryingly we appeared to treat it as just a pre season game and not a competitive fixture, we could quite easily have been going over there at 1-1 or even 1-2 down, on the plus side we won, didn't concede and it's another 90 minutes in the can,a lot of work to be done now next thursday,COYB.

Just got back Dario and spot on, very lucky not to be 1-1 or 2-1 down so I'll take that 1-0 win and run.

Another week of hard training will hopefully set us up nicely for next week. That right hand side was bloody hideous tonight though wasn't it lol

I hate pre-season. Looking at the positives; Gueye is immense, and Sandro will be a crowd favourite.
Rooney? He can't be our main striker. He needs to be in that free role across the attack to be effective. We need Siggy and we desperately need a quality striker.
I'm just repeating what everyone already knows, but the optimism of new signings has been replaced with a healthy dose of realism despite it only being pre-season.

Yep......

They were prolly using Reichsmarks or Rubles the last time you were there, Father Time
No, I still have one or two of their notes (I collect notes from all countries I visit...I'm a bit of a numismatist). They are called Koruna's. Mind you, it was 1997 I was last there so they may have changed.
Lovely country and people and very good looking women who are not at all parsimonious with dispensing 'favours' (nudge nudge wink wink!)

We weren't exactly terrible and did at least deserve the win which, with more consistent refereeing might have yielded at least a penalty for an obvious push on Gana. RK does however take the blame for not playing a more forceful game against solid, hard working and physical opponents who mastered Everton for the most part by hard work - only Sandro offered the right kind of threat..

Martina was better than expected and the right choice - but Stek is a nightmare in waiting every time he plays. DCL just hasn't got it yet for a start..even if out of position (which is normal at this stage of a player's career)

Of course with Everton straight out on their first game - at home - against opponents on their 6th of the season made life harder. I expect we'll finish the job with something in hand next week as to lose by 2 goals would be the ultimate "Everton that" moment.

We weren't exactly terrible and did at least deserve the win which, with more consistent refereeing might have yielded at least a penalty for an obvious push on Gana. RK does however take the blame for not playing a more forceful game against solid, hard working and physical opponents who mastered Everton for the most part by hard work - only Sandro offered the right kind of threat..

Martina was better than expected and the right choice - but Stek is a nightmare in waiting every time he plays. DCL just hasn't got it yet for a start..even if out of position (which is normal at this stage of a player's career)

Of course with Everton straight out on their first game - at home - against opponents on their 6th of the season made life harder. I expect we'll finish the job with something in hand next week as to lose by 2 goals would be the ultimate "Everton that" moment.

Good summation...you pretty much nailed it there (twice in fact)

yes, but it's more than just flight time isn't it: it's all the faffing about at the airport, organising passports and travellers cheques etc etc. Also, I think they are in a different time zone so that can play havoc with the body clock. And the climate?...that can discombobulate you as can different pollens and other allergens.
Make no mistake mate, this a tough trip on the body. As I said earlier, park the bus and deny their classy forwards any shots on goal.

I enjoyed a pretty heavy stag do in Bratislava - good for a wkend i'd recommend. Landed late sunday night, in work monday morning. Granted i'm not an athlete or a sportsman, but personally I think it's stretching it a bit to say the knock on effect could be anything drastic.

Thought we missed Barkley tonight. Against a team like that he controls the tempo of the game and often picks out the pass to get a move going. It's imperative we replace both him and Lukaku ASAP

Didn't watch the game but it sounds like a few stiff bodies running around, ie they are getting flogged to death at training and haven't tapered yet. Playing against a match fit team is always going to be difficult. Don't matter who you are.
Good pre season matches, Gent and this.

The Echo:

"Glimpses of a Slicker Better Everton Emerge".

Ha ha ha. An utterly bankrupt bunch of half wits.
agreed mate. The Echo is a rubbish rag. They certainly weren't watching the same game as most of us. "Glimpses of a Slicker Better Everton Emerge" lol...there were much more than mere "glimpses". That was a pretty impressive effort against a continental team that would easily dispense with the likes of your West Ham's, Newcastle's etc etc

Status
Not open for further replies.