New CB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who are the favoured left footed centre backs?

I notice a few calls for Holgate, lemos etc but perhaps best to have a left footer?

de Vrij
Lemos
Mawson
Gibson
Diop
Chambers

Literally anyone tbh to make sure Williams and Jags are the reserve pairing.

Only Gibson is left footed isn't he?

Think its important?

Mawsons reputation is increasing hugely and Gibson seems interesting and a typical English defender.

Jagielka, Holgate (?) and Williams aren't good enough. Williams is okay bit nothing more than that.

We desperately need another CB with Mori out, who also isn't the great.

Needed one before this.

Jagielka is finished.
Mori is crap and now out long term
Galloway is loaned out
Pennington is championship standard
Holgate isn't physically ready to play cb in this league yet.
Williams is flawed and slooooow.

Only have one quality cb at the club in Keane.

We as it stands have a -10m or so overall spend, we will almost certainly now bring in another 60m or sales if McCarthy, niasse and Barkley all go.

So even accounting for 50 for sigurdsson and say 30 for giroud we'd be breaking even on money out and in.

Yes showed ambition etc with business concluded early etc. But to not even touch the vast sky money that come in, and other revenue which has increased and go into a season with Williams as a starting cb with jags backup would hardly show we are ambitious.

Our defensive options are a joke. We need at minimum another CB and LB coming in, sort it out Koeman can't be doing with another season of Jags and Mori and Williams looks unfit and Baines is past it.

I actually think Smalling would be a pretty great signing and relatively cheap all things considered. Rumors West Brom are interested and think they can get it done for around 15mil. Be very happy if he was brought in. Do it RonKo.

Yeah agreed. Seems to have gone from overrated to underrated recently. He would be a decent option.

Obviously VVD is more likely to go to the RS. So Gibson is a good shout for me. Him and Keane together. And what about that Ajax player (Riedewald?). Or has he gone to Palace?

We'd just become the new Chelsea, buying good young players then loaning them out, with little hope for them ever making the first team..
Really? Would love to see your evidence for this. Henry Onyekuru is the only one we've bought and immediately loaned out , and that for work permit reasons, and if you believe he has little hope of ever making the first team then you should be advising Steve Walsh about your ability to see the future. Galloway is the only other youngster I can recall that we've bought and who is currently out on loan and he's had first team experience so he hardly meets your criteria of little hope of ever making the first team.

We always did need 2 top class central defenders this window.

Keane was one.

There are lots out there that would improve us as we are starting from a poor benchmark.
Jagielka was once a colossus but age father time has caught up. Williams is solid but lacks a yard that can be crucial.
Holgate is brilliant in a 3 (my preference), but looks exposed in a back 2. Mori is erratic and clumsy (good squad player).
The rest are not up to scratch sadly.

VVD/Koulibaly would be ideal. Mawson looks a very good prospect (would be funny after Sigurdsson to say 'while we are here how much for...)
Gibson could form a potential partnership with Keane, the likes we have not seen since Jags and Lescott at their best.

Certainly a position that needs upgrading.

upload_2017-7-14_10-5-38.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.