Everton 2-1 Sporting

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a fairly new poster here, I have to say I am stunned by the response to this game. Yes that was a stupid way to give up a goal.

But Everton dominated that game. Sporting didn't look strong at all--just the occasional combination. The only player who looked good for Sporting was their keeper at the outset. Meanwhile, Cahill looked good, Pienaar looked good, Osman looked good, etc.

And that was still a win. Why is everyone heading for the razor blades?

Everton is just a much stronger side. You guys do root for this team, right?

AS you have not been here long, you will not be used to the way we do things. We are well used to making things difficult or impossible for ourselves. We are also well used to late goals messing up our plans. :(

OK, but doesn't that sound a little defeatest?

The team is on a good run of form. Sure several players weren't brilliant tonight.
But these days, they're winning. And winning is a habit.

The glass is half full.

We were shocking first half, really, really poor. Fortunately we managed to score a good goal that settled us down a bit. Thank **** Leighton is playing well at the moment tho, only player that instigates anything at all.

As a fairly new poster here, I have to say I am stunned by the response to this game. Yes that was a stupid way to give up a goal.

But Everton dominated that game. Sporting didn't look strong at all--just the occasional combination. The only player who looked good for Sporting was their keeper at the outset. Meanwhile, Cahill looked good, Pienaar looked good, Osman looked good, etc.

It's not just winning or losing for me, our performance is very important. At times I can be happier with a promising 1-0 defeat than a scrappy, all over the place, 1-0 win.

I saw things today that keep popping up when we play in Europe, our inability to hold onto the ball and retain possession. We rely far too much on the long, diagonal ball. Sometimes it works, alot of time we surrender possession and it takes us about 5 minutes to win it back.

Our lack of movement off the ball, there wasn't a massive difference between the two sides in terms of technical ability today, but there movement and confidence in each other was clear from the Upper Bullens, where I sat today. It was alot better than ours, and they are the away side, we should be controlling possession at Goodison.

Sporting aren't a good side, far from it, and it's very frustrating to see us mess up a game that could have easily been a comfortable win, we could have killed the game there and then.

Now we are going to there place and it's worrying, they are a better footballing side than we are and we continue to prove that we find it hard to adapt to this style of football. A more intelligent, patient approach.

It's not just winning or losing for me, our performance is very important. At times I can be happier with a promising 1-0 defeat than a scrappy, all over the place, 1-0 win.

I saw things today that keep popping up when we play in Europe, our inability to hold onto the ball and retain possession. We rely far too much on the long, diagonal ball. Sometimes it works, alot of time we surrender possession and it takes us about 5 minutes to win it back.

Our lack of movement off the ball, there wasn't a massive difference between the two sides in terms of technical ability today, but there movement and confidence in each other was clear from the Upper Bullens, where I sat today. It was alot better than ours, and they are the away side, we should be controlling possession at Goodison.

Sporting aren't a good side, far from it, and it's very frustrating to see us mess up a game that could have easily been a comfortable win, we could have killed the game there and then.

Now we are going to there place and it's worrying, they are a better footballing side than we are and we continue to prove that we find it hard to adapt to this style of football. A more intelligent, patient approach.[/QUOTE]

Thats a very big statement to make on tonights showing, ive watched them a lot this season and they have been awfull - when we are in the mood we can and have matched and bettered better footballing sides then Sporting. It was a bad mistake tonight but a mature expierenced performence bar that mistake throughout, bearing in mind we have two games in a week. We will score over there, their defence is woefull, as have their attendences been for the majority of the season and in recent games, there is a feeling of resignation amongst there supporters.

Im not paicking - i get your point and agree to an extent but your going a bit overboard to be honest.

Last edited:
i know it wont happen much but yak and saha looked ok to me!!!

mom's

ossie
saha
bainies
cahill

pip was shoite!

Now we are going to there place and it's worrying, they are a better footballing side than we are and we continue to prove that we find it hard to adapt to this style of football. A more intelligent, patient approach.[/QUOTE]

Thats a very big statement to make on tonights showing, ive watched them a lot this eason and they have been awfull - when we are in the mood we can and have matched and bettered better footballing sides then Sporting. It was a bad mistake tonight but a mature expierenced performence bar that mistake throughout, bearing in mind we have two games in a week. We will score over there their defence is woefull, as have their attendences been for the majority of the season and in recent games, there is a feeling of resignation amongst there supporters.

Im not paicking - i get your point and agree to an extent but your going a bit overboard to be honest.

I disagree mate, I had a good view in the Upper Bullens and I was very unimpressed with alot of our play. And I'm not asking for Barca football, just a bit of movement and composure under pressure.

We had a good 20-25 minute spell when there was no pressure on us, before and after that is was pretty poor. I think Sporting will have gained a bit of confidence from that game, there manager basically said that in his interview. They can create chances against us and have enough ability to retain the ball under pressure.

It's certainly not impossible, we could easily turn it on and win comfortably, but our style in Europe in very worrying in my opinion. It plays into the hands of decent, technically proficient sides. Lucily for us, as you say, there defence is woeful.

Sorry, I am right in saying Everton beat them 2 goals to 1 yes?

God, its still a +1 advantage.

Exactly.

And again, exactly.

OK, but doesn't that sound a little defeatest?

The team is on a good run of form. Sure several players weren't brilliant tonight.
But these days, they're winning. And winning is a habit.

The glass is half full.

On a roll here.

Now we are going to there place and it's worrying, they are a better footballing side than we are and we continue to prove that we find it hard to adapt to this style of football. A more intelligent, patient approach.

Seriously? Go reread what you just wrote there. Three points, a win, I don't care what you want to call it. For me, that's one heck of a lot more important than playing "beautiful football."

By that logic, we could play nice football all year long and find ourselves in the Championship the following year.

I understand where you're coming from in terms of wanting Everton to play free flowing football but sometimes (for us, a lot of the time) it's just not on.

I disagree mate, I had a good view in the Upper Bullens and I was very unimpressed with alot of our play. And I'm not asking for Barca football, just a bit of movement and composure under pressure.

We had a good 20-25 minute spell when there was no pressure on us, before and after that is was pretty poor. I think Sporting will have gained a bit of confidence from that game, there manager basically said that in his interview. They can create chances against us and have enough ability to retain the ball under pressure.

It's certainly not impossible, we could easily turn it on and win comfortably, but our style in Europe in very worrying in my opinion. It plays into the hands of decent, technically proficient sides. Lucily for us, as you say, there defence is woeful.

I know where your coming from mate and i think we were hampred a bit by not having Fellaini, a half match fit mikel etc. Personaly i think it was our game plan and the result of a good scouting trip to play the long diagnols and test their defence. Their back four has lacked quality all season and have been massively lacking in confidence - it needed working and testing as uneasy on the eye as that was. Secondly i have no doubt they have match winners but i think our game plan was to snuff them out as seen in the (Mout being subbed after 66) and take advantage of a cold away day in Feb playing a traditional English style of play and directness i think it was intentional to be honest not pretty but effective- given our injuries, fitness and conditions. It would have worked a treat only for our own defensive frailites and a bad error. Persoanlly i think we have a great chance over there, their gates have been massively low and their fans to an extent have lost hope for the season and confidence in the team which has effected their players. Secondly they have to come at us and we play better against teams who dont sit back and make it difficult for us - City, Chelsea, Arsenal etc. Im confident but their are no definites.

The mistake at the end is unfogiveable though i agree.

Last edited:
I know where your coming from mate and i think we were hampred a bit by not having Fellaini, a half match fit mikel etc. Personaly i think it was our game plan and the result of a good scouting trip to play the long diagnols and test their defence. Their back four has lacked quality all season and have been massively lacking in confidence - it needed working and testing as uneasy on the eye as that was. Secondly i have no doubt they have match winners but i think our game plan was to snuff them out as seen in the (Mout being subbed after 66) and take advantage of a cold away day in Feb playing a traditional English style of play and directness i think it was intentional to be honest not pretty but effective- given our injuries, fitness and conditions. It would have worked a treat only for our own defensive frailites and a bad error. Persoanlly i think we have a great chance over there, their gates have been massively low and their fans to an extent have lost hope for the season and confidence in the team which has effected their players. Secondly they have to come at us and we play better against teams who dont sit back and make it difficult for us - City, Chelsea, Arsenal etc. Im confident but their are no definites.

The mistake at the end is unfogiveable though i agree.

It probably was, and at times it is effective, but we do it far too much. The best way to snuff these teams out is to keep them away from the ball, which means retaining it.

You can't play a high tempo, direct game for 90 minutes in Europe, it doesn't work. You've got to mix it up, and when we mix it up we are a very difficult side to play against. It's about adapting really...

As for us having a great chance, I hope your right, if we play to the level we are capable of playing at then I think we do. But we have too, a performance like that away from home won't get us anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.