Everton U18s 2 – 4 Manchester City U18s

Taken from the forum, by poster alan ball.

Manchester City took Everton apart in the first half with a 3 goal blitz inside the opening 30 minutes, but a spirited fightback from the Toffees was not quite good enough as City got a fourth on 90 minutes to deservedly seal the points in this 6 goal thriller.

Kevin Sheedy put Higgins on the bench and brought in Browning for the right back berth and Lundstram and Thomas who both played for the reserves against Wigan last Monday replaced Grant and Barrow who were not even in today’s squad.

Today’s opponents Manchester City were knocked off their perch last week being thumped 2-4 at home to new leaders Blackburn Rovers and faced a tricky game at Everton after a good away win in the Potteries last week.

After both teams observed a minutes silence for remembrance day it was the visitors who kicked off with nice blue skies above.

The visitors were the first to show and got in front as early as the 5th minute when Hallam Hope gave away a free kick on the edge of the box which resulted with a free kick which Everton’s defence failed to deal with where the big number 5 Leigh was at hand to give Fitzgibbon no chance and give them the lead.

Everton managed to get their first chance on goal 4 minutes later as Everton took advantage of their opposition on the counter when Hope and Jones worked well together to provide 16 year old Long with an opportunity but flew wide of the goal.

Shortly after,Anton Forrester hit a shot wide also again with some tidy football with Lundstram and Long orchestrating the move from midfield.

Disaster for Everton on 15 minutes as Man City doubled their lead as they attacked down the right, the ball was whipped over to King to put past Fitzgibbon and make Everton with a lot of work to do.

The second goal had given the visitors a lot of confidence as each time they came forward a goal always seemed likely as Everton were restricted to half chances but City’s football was a joy to watch with some crisp one touch passing and good movement.

Chris Long spurned a chance for the home side then a 20 yard run and shot from distance from Gethin Jones forced Halsall in the City goal to make a good save. City nearly got another goal with a low cross that evaded the oncoming player who narrowly could not get a toe to the ball which saved Everton.’s blushes.

Minutes later the game was put to bed as City got a third on 32 minutes with City passing neatly on the edge of the area and lay the ball in the path of Mayifulia to drill past Fitzgibbon.

Chris Long won a free kick for the blues just 7 minutes before the break but Lundstram’s effort was poor which summed up Everton’s 45 minutes.



Coach Kevin Sheedy gave his players a tough talking to at half time but kept faith with the same eleven but Man City took off the scorer of the third goal Mayifulla and brought on Devante Cole a forward in his place.

The early stages of the second half were similar to the first half as Fitzgibbon again had to make a smart save to his left from an Adam Drury shot then 30 seconds later Coulson the City full back tested the keeper who responded with a double handed save.

Ryan Higgins replaced Forrester on the hour and slotted into the midfield then 3 minutes later the Slovakian Rusnak weaved is way through Everton’s defence to keep Fitzgibbon alert with a great shot and a save that was equal to it. Only for Fitzgibbon it could so easily have been 7.

City took off Greg Leigh and in his place brought on Ashley Smith-Brown on 65 minutes and at this point Everton were looking more of a threat as they finally broke their duck courtesy of an own goal by Ellis Plummer on 76 minutes.

Ryan Higgins played a ball into the box but Plummer could only put it past Halsall then 30 seconds later Hope almost reduced the deficit when his effort just went over the bar.

85 minutes, game on as Gethin Jones’s shot was saved by Halsall but Hope was at hand to head past the City keeper to make the scoreline a more respectable one.

In the closing stages Dier had a chance and a penalty appeal was turned down as Everton threw everything at the Mancunians but could not get that important equaliser.

Right into added time it was substitute Devante Cole to despatch from 6 yards after another threatening run down the right hand side and give the visitors the points which they richly deserved and put an end to this thrilling contest.

Everton were not at their best today and as a man of the match contender, Jones, Lundstram, Long and Fitzgibbon but it was Goalkeeper James Fitzgibbon who takes the award for his great work between the sticks.

Kevin Sheedy said “We lost the game in the first half but was pleased with the effort we put in the second half and was like how it should be”



Everton Coach Kevin Sheedy

Man City coach Adam Sadler

Teams, Everton:
Fitzgibbon, Browning, Touray, Heneghan, Dier ( C). Lundstram, Jones, Hope, Long Forrester (Higgins 60), Thomas. Unused Subs: Taudul (GK) Molyneux, Green, Shannon

Manchester City
Halsall, Coulson, Plummer, Meppen-Walters, Leigh (Smith –Brown 65), Clowes ( C), Drury, King, Mayfulla( Cole 46), Rusnak. Henshall. Unused Subs: Sharpe, Glendon

Match Officials Mr M Corlett, Assistants Mr K Johnson, Mr C Willan

Everton Mishmash
The History of Everton Football Club In One Image