Everton U18s 2 – 2 Huddersfield U18s Full Report

If you want to keep on top of the young lads coming through, you´ll find a comprehensive report of today´s game from forum contributor alan ball


Everton were hoping to continue their good form after their last win over Sheffield Wednesday seven days ago against another Yorkshire team Huddersfield Town who coached by Graham Mitchell have had 3 previous defeats, the last being last Saturday against Manchester City and getting a 6-0 hiding.

The major problem this morning that loomed over Finch Farm was the heavy wind knowing it was going to cause havoc.

Everton kicked off playing a 4-1-3-2 formation attacking the Finch Lane and from the kick off the home side had the ball in the net on their first attack created by Adam Thomas down the left who sent a ball pinpoint to Daniel O’Brien who stabbed home from close range only for Ian Woodward the match official to blow up for offside. Within 60 seconds of Everton having one disallowed Huddersfield attacked down the left through Charlton who crossed the ball only to cause confusion in the Everton defence and Touray should have done better but Matt Crooks was to near goal to miss and giving Fitzgibbon no chance and put his side ahead.

Everton tried to respond with their next attack as Forrester picks up the ball and carries it forward but when he felt comfortable to shoot his effort was weak and Wilczynski gathers safely. The early period was all Huddersfield as they attacked Everton down both flanks, Charlton for the visitors made a strong run but Pennington was equal to it and managed to put the ball out for a visitors throw in.

Huddersfield were guilty of giving away needless free kicks and Joe Wright the visitors centre half was penalised for a push on Hallam Hope and Molineux ‘s free kick managed to find Forrester who was strong to hold off his marker and with pace and disposed of him then let fly but missed the target.

The visitors were still looking the better of the two sides and Charlton was giving Touray problems and Daniel O’Brien did very well considering the conditions to help in defence and keep Huddersfield from increasing their lead.

Everton tried in vain to find a way of breaking down the Huddersfield defence who had conceded 6 goals a week earlier down the east lancs at Manchester City but failed miserably as Everton’s balls into the box were lapped up well and cleared.

The wind was blowing in Huddersfield’s favour and Sinnott was gifted with a poor clearance from Heneghan but his shot went over the bar.

Captain Adam Field gave the home side a free kick on 25 minutes which Molineux played to O’Brien whose neat pass found full back Pennington who teased his marker before finding Forrester who was in the 6 yard box to stab home the equaliser and sending Wilczynski the wrong way. Everton were pleased too get back on level terms and again through Thomas on the left his ball found Hope who was unlucky and narrowly missed the target

On the half hour mark a good interception by Pennington broke down a misplaced pass found his team mate O’Brien whose shot stung the hands of the goalkeeper who managed to pick up the ball at the second attempt after failing to hold onto the shot.

As Everton were finding their feet the inevitable happened when the visitors went back in front and unfortunately Everton’s defence were guilty as Pennington failed to deal with a ball and Max Leonard was in a position where he could not miss and didn’t as he prodded the ball in from close range on 33 minutes.

35 minutes in Hallam Hope played a very teasing cross towards the on rushing O’Brien but Wilczynski did very well to catch the ball despite the conditions.

Minutes before the break Everton pushed their opposition as O’Brien again twisted Pearson the full back inside out but was fouled and Thomas took Everton’s free kick whose cross found Pennington’s head whose header was blocked on the line then cleared away only to Touray a good way out and his shot rattled the cross bar.

Everton won another free kick after asserting pressure and Field was booked for fouling Thomas just outside the box. Thomas took the free kick whose shot flew straight into the right hand side of the goal to level the scores yet again and that effort would have been a contender for any goal of the month competition.

Everton pressed to get their noses in front before the break as Hope and Pennington combined but Pennington’s centre was cleared by the visitors defence. The last chance of the half fell in to another Thomas free kick but Wilczynski was wise to his delivery this time.

Half Time

Everton U18’s 2 Huddersfield U 18’s 2

Both teams took their places in the second half and the same 22 players started the second half as did the first.

Hope received a delightful ball from Thomas who went to the line but Hope’s cross was wasted as any of his team mates failed to read it then Leonard the Huddersfield goalscorer hit a snap shot outside the box that failed to inflict any damage to Everton.

Everton were playing some nice football in the early stages of the second half, Thomas and O’Brien exchanges passes on the left and Hope was played through but the ref witnessed a foul and gave Huddersfield the free kick.

Wright the visitors number 5 gave Everton a free kick and again Thomas was the victim but Thomas’s free kick was played into the direction of Pennington but the keeper was the quicker to the ball to catch yet again.

On the hour Everton were looking the better of the sides but being honest to the both sides chances were few and far between as the two sides just tried to catch each other out and maybe snatch a goal.

Hope won another free kick which Molineux took and when his ball was released a shout for hand ball was heard only for the appeals to fall on deaf ears as Mr Woodward indicated to his shoulder and wave play on.

1 minute later Everton’s untidy play gave Huddersfield possession and Leonard on the left nearly caught out Fitzgibbon and caused a scare as his effort managed to land on top of Fitzgibbons net.

Everton’s pressure was sure to lead to a goal and Touray and Hope both tried runs down the left but failed to cause any concerns to their opposition and time was running out.

James Fitzgibbon for the first time in the game made a save of real importance by pushing away a two handed save as the visitors rarely attacked as they did in the first half but Sheedy and Irvine the academy coaches must have been concerned at their sides display which was well below par.

The last twenty minutes of the game had a 2-2 draw written all over it and Huddersfield would have been more pleased with the outcome than the home side. Chances were rare as Sinnott’s effort was easily saved by Fitzgibbon.

Hope and Forrester combined on the right which made Huddersfield concede the corner but Molineux’s ball was well headed clear by Joe Wright.

Everton made three changes as the seconds ticked away, Chris Long replaced O’Brien, Barrow replaced Jones in midfield and in the last ten minutes Ryan Higgins came on for Tom Molineux to try and revive a desperate Everton performance.

The last real chance of the game fell to Thomas who read a misunderstanding between Wilczynski and a defender but Thomas’s snap shot failed to find a goal and a lead for Everton. The draw was probably about right and Everton must be annoyed to have thrown away 2 points at home but taking nothing away from the visitors they were worthy of the draw and giving Everton few opportunities.

A few good contenders for Man of the match, Pennington., Thomas, Heneghan, Dier,Forrester, But Anton Forrester gets the award this week

Full Time

Everton U18’s 2 Huddersfield Town U18’s 2

Everton Line Up: Fitzgibbon, Pennington. Touray, Heneghan, Dier ( C), Molineux (Higgins 80), O’Brien( Long 65), Jones (Barrow 80), Hope, Forrester, Thomas. Unused Subs Roberts(GK) and Goulding

Huddersfield Town Line up: Wilczynski, Johnson, Pearson, Field ( c )Wright, Morton , Sinnott , Crooks, Conway, Leonard, Charlton. Unused Subs. Burke, Porter (GK), Blakey, Windass, Holmes

Match Official Ref Mr Ian Woodward

Everton Mishmash
The History of Everton Football Club In One Image