Young Centre Backs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evo2901

Player Valuation: £225k
After the frankly calamitous defensive displays over the past three weeks there have been many questions asked about the partnership between both Phil Jagielka and Sylvain Distin, and honestly I'm beginning to feel that their tenure as our main centre back pairing has come to an end. The understanding that is typically shown between them both just seems to have been lost somewhere, of course we've got to hope that they shape up after the international break.

However looking at the stats towards the latter stages of last season John Stones and Sylvain Distin had formed quite a formidable partnership consisting of 9 games of which we won 8 and only conceded 5 and because of this it's a wonder why Phil Jagielka was able to waltz straight back into the starting XI, of course he's our captain but judging by the past three weeks where we've essentially capitulated defensively questions need to be asked about his leadership qualities, especially when Tim Howard was the player who dealt with the Diego Costa incident on Saturday when, as captain Jags should be taking care of that.

So what I'm getting at is potentially keeping Jags and Distin in the team for the WBA game but if it still doesn't work out then gets Stonesy in for Jags. In addition to this as backup to Sylvain Distin there is two very capable youngsters in the form of Tyias Browning and Brendan Galloway waiting in the wings, whether they're ready to make the step up though is a different matter and is a decision that a Roberto should make at some point this season as it seems increasingly likely that Distin will be retiring after this season.

We will play this season with Jags, Distin, Stones and Alcaraz, no matter what happens with Browning maybe getting a game or two in Europa League or League Cup, so there is a small chance he could impress and get a chance in the league. What is the most interesting thing for me is, who will play for us in the season 2015/16. Stones should be our main centre half IMO and we need to buy a new player next to him. Jagielka should be the backup for Stones then, and the question is if Distin will be able to do another season or Browning or Galloway will be able to step up and fill Alcaraz's role. There is a chance we will need only one centre half, there is a chance we will need two, but I believe one of them will be able to fill that role of 3rd/4th centre half. Anyway that one centre half we need to buy should be left-footed as that should be a new longterm partner of Stones. Any (semi)realistic names to throw there, who would be ok for our style? Kyriakos Papadopoulos, Eder Alvarez Balanta, Samuel Umtiti, Matija Nastasic, Martin Hinteregger, any else?

I think its an over reaction.

The start of the season always throws up mad results and not just with us. Just look around you get strange scores all over Europe.

We wont concede 6 every week or even 2. They have just been on a bad run of form, it wont last.

Stones could do with coming in more i suppose as age is catching up on Jagielka and Distin but they havnt turned to crap just because of a poor run.

John Stones should be the first centre half on the team sheet.

He hasn't been for the first three games and we've conceded 10.

If he starts against West Brom like he should I bet you we'll keep a clean sheet.

IMO opinion he is the best defender at the club. I've said it before and I'll say it again.

The debate for me is whether to play him for Distin or Jagielka and at the moment you'll have a case for both.

If he starts against West Brom like he should I bet you we'll keep a clean sheet.

IMO opinion he is the best defender at the club. I've said it before and I'll say it again.

The debate for me is whether to play him for Distin or Jagielka and at the moment you'll have a case for both.

I disagree he should be first on the team sheet. To be a consistant centre half you need experience on the pitch, yes there's only one way he's going to get it, but playing week in week out isn't the way to do it IMO. There's no reason why jags won't come good again, but maybe stones starting against lesser opposition will give him a kick up the backside.

I'm not 100% convinced he a great defender yet, doesn't seem dominant enough in the air and is caught out of position a bit but hopefully that will improve with experience. His distribution and composure are top class. We also had our best run of form when him and distin were on the team.

Just seen that he is starting for England at right back tonight FFS. What is it with England managers playing our players out of position. Bad enough that jags used to get played right back but stones is a bit of liability whenever he plays right back. It's like hodgson has never seen him play.

stones needs to be gradually brought in to the team and there couldnt possibly be a worse time to try and do this when on back of a poor run, the run continues and bang stones is now the linchpin, couple of mistakes as he’s already shown and confidence out the window! a couple of clean sheets for jags and distin and people will be eating there words!

I don't think it's as simple as saying Jags is playing poorly lets drop him, because he's the captain. It gives Martinez an incredibly tough decision to make, an he'd have to play poorly for at least another 10 games before he'd be forced into changing him.

Distin, although unspectacular has been slightly more reliable this year and his confidence at least doesn't seem entirely shot.

We'll persist with them as they've by turned gash overnight but I'm not sure these two are enjoying themselves at the moment and I doubt they're looking forward to the next game.

Barry and McCarthy haven't been great so far at offering them protection though either, it's a central problem above all else.

Didn't we get some games in with some differing results before we went on a gang-busting run?

Stones is the answer but not quite yet. Your witnessing Sylvan's last season with us and Stones will slot straight in.

Looking forward to a cup or Europa League game where our back 4 will be all English:

Stones - Browning - Galloway - Garbutt

I'm not 100% convinced he a great defender yet, doesn't seem dominant enough in the air and is caught out of position a bit but hopefully that will improve with experience. His distribution and composure are top class. We also had our best run of form when him and distin were on the team.

Just seen that he is starting for England at right back tonight FFS. What is it with England managers playing our players out of position. Bad enough that jags used to get played right back but stones is a bit of liability whenever he plays right back. It's like hodgson has never seen him play.

I think being picked for RB for England is revealing. It shows that outsiders looking in agree with those of us who aren't convinced whether Stones actually is a CB; his positional sense is wayward and at international level he'd be exposed even more than he is in the PL. Mind you, RB isn't his position either. For my money he'd look more at home further up the field in, say, Barry's position. A less aggressive player than Barry but someone suited to taking the ball off the defence.

Unless Galloway or Browning are outstanding, I believe we should be looking at buying in two CBs in the next 12 months. I'd defo go back for Van Dijk - though he'll be CL eligible again by then and I believe we've missed our window of opportunity on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.