When did we cease to be the blues........

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember going to Vienna for the Euros back in 2008. I had an Everton top on on the day Austria were playing Germany. My shirt got lots of passing comments from the locals and they said "the toffees". I was sitting in a restaurant and a guy walked past the door, came back and give me the thumbs up and shouted "the toffees". I wonder if foreign commentators use nicknames a lot.

I've always wondered why we never got called the mints haha

Its the same here in the States. I've been here for 6 years and when I first came here, upon hearing my accent, it was assumed I was a Liverpool fan. A few times incredibly, people didnt know Everton was in Liverpool. It was surprising to people that I was an Evertonian.

"Chelsea took the spoils after a nine-goal thriller against Everton ended with the Blues eventually winning 6-3 at Goodison Park."

This comment and similar in all the national papers really wound me up.

It's been happening for a couple of years now, but to see a picture of Everton in Blue and Chelsea in Yellow with a caption going on about the Blues ( of Chelsea) really got to me........

Who started it......

To be honest, we were never really referred to as "The Blues" in newspaper headlines nor indeed in media references.

We are The Toffees.

The only time I ever saw us referred to as the Blues in a newspaper headline was in the old Pink Echo of blessed memory.

Chelsea have a horrible nickname, The a Pensioners, so a sub editor is always going to look for a handier, zippier shorthand way or fitting them into a headline.

Local media always call us the Blues, like the echo or radio city, Juice etc.

I suppose its just a basic nickname isnt it. Sometimes see united being called "the reds" even tho round here thats obviously liverpools name.

Liverpool are more famous and have won more?

Truth hurts like...

Spot on mate

We have won nothing and our fans expect us to be held in higher esteem than teams who constantly win trophies and rightly earn their place in the pecking order, instead of moaning about how the media perceive's us, we should be moaning at the managers and players for not winning anything for god dam decades

Last edited:
Spot on mate

We have won nothing and our fans expect us to be held in higher esteem than teams who constantly win trophies and rightly earn their place in the pecking order, instead of moaning about how the media perceive's us, we should be moaning at the managers and players for not winning anything for god dam decades

I feel goddamn lucky then that I saw us win a couple of League Titles and FA Cups !! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.