What can Everton do to improve the Commercial aspect of our club?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Say NO to Ginger Managers
So the Annual Accounts have just been released, and basically there are a lot of things to be positive about in them. But the glaringly obvious thing that stood out to me as well as others, is the commercial performance of the club.
According to the official statement from the club, "The Club’s sponsorship, advertising and merchandising revenue also increased from £7.6m in 2013 to £8.4m in 2014, boosted by the long-term support of key partners such as Chang and Kitbag."
In the greatest scheme of things, how does £8.4m stack up when compared to our competitors for the Top 10 and European placings?
As a measure of comparison, I've taken details from this ESPN article around kit deals in the Premier League.
Aston Villa's relative kit deals consist of a total of £9.1m. While parts of this total may be dependent on performances, this is still more than our total commercial income.
Newcastle's shirt sponsor deal with Wonga rests at £6.5m per season, which is more than we get from Chang. While their deal with shirt manufacturer Puma is undisclosed, again it is not unfeasible that their kit deals alone exceed our entire commercial income.
QPR. Premier League newbies, returning from a one season exile in the Championship. Kit deals worth £12m
Spurs. £26m from kit deals. Sponsorship, Corporate Hospitality and Merchandising Revenue in 2012-13 sits at £48m.
Meanwhile Arsenal, United, Chelsea and Liverpool sit at much higher levels of Commercial input, making a comparison to be frank pointless.
Given that clearly we don't stack up well in this area, what can we be doing and should we be doing to raise the level of this currently unacceptable performance in the commercial arena?
Please note that this is not a "abuse the board" thread, I know that this is a frustrating area for
many posters, but there is a thread to talk about the failures and successes of the board. Instead this is more for a constructive discussion around what can and should be done to improve this area of the club we support.

Interestingly, the Chang deal is the longest running shirt deal in the PL at this point.

I gather there might be a loyalty reward running in that deal that ensures they get it relatively cheap. In addition, it's obvious we are gunning for foreign markets, like Thailand obviously and the USA. I have noticed we have an especially strong following in America, especially riding on Tim Howard's excellency in the World Cup, it would seem smart to sign a shirt deal relating to the american market, much like Man Utd's Chevrolet deal.

Bin of kitbag for a start.

Have someone new come in at the executive level who will go out and canvas new deals not sit back and let current partners dictate how much there gonna pay us

You would think that there would be companies out there willing to give us more than Chang do for sponsorship. We've been a top 7 premiership side for 10 years now! Having a chairman with more connections would help I'm sure.

Need to try and break the overseas market too, forget trying to get asia like everyone else, we stand no chance against the likes of utd and the [Poor language removed], but places where we've had a leg up,

We had australias poster boy, didnt do a thing ,
One of africas poster boys, never done a thing,
Had USA's 2 big poster boys havent done a thing,

Now we have besic who seems to be one of the poster boys over in bosnia,

And we have half the bloody irish team on our books, open up a little club shop or outlet in one of the main citys over there, have a freindly or 2 and give the youth free tickets to get in to watch us

Bin of kitbag for a start.

Have someone new come in at the executive level who will go out and canvas new deals not sit back and let current partners dictate how much there gonna pay us
This. Also include a lot of performance related clauses in this persons pay.

Need to try and break the overseas market too, forget trying to get asia like everyone else, we stand no chance against the likes of utd and the [Poor language removed], but places where we've had a leg up,

We had australias poster boy, didnt do a thing ,
One of africas poster boys, never done a thing,
Had USA's 2 big poster boys havent done a thing,

Now we have besic who seems to be one of the poster boys over in bosnia,

And we have half the bloody irish team on our books, open up a little club shop or outlet in one of the main citys over there, have a freindly or 2 and give the youth free tickets to get in to watch us
We only started selling jerseys in the FAI shop in dublin this week sure ffs. First time jerseys available since Puma days of circa 2001/4. joke

I've been through this before on other threads. The potential market here is too small, our population is less than that of London and football, while very popular, takes a back seat to our national sports in quite a few regions, particularly in the west. I really think we should be looking farther across the Atlantic and it's a shame our marketing department didn't seize on Howard's heroics with a little more enthusiasm.

well i live in South Africa, and i have NEVER seen a Everton shirt being sold, all fans have to order online. unless you support the old top 4, and now man city

This. Also include a lot of performance related clauses in this persons pay.

God no, as we have seen from the fun and games in the City this last decade all that guarantees is that the person concerned frames the accounts in such a way that they achieve their bonus.

Also it should be pointed out that QPR's shirt sponsor is an airline owned by Tony Fernandes (ie: their owner), so that figure quoted in the OP isnt really representative of fair market value. Nor is Wonga sponsoring Newcastle, given what it is they do they probably pay a bit of a premium to the club over what a generic, non-vampiric company would.

Status
Not open for further replies.