WE REMEMBER ALAN BALL

Status
Not open for further replies.
well before my time, but have heard and seen enough to go some way to understanding the very high regard

never forgotten Bally x

I've been playing for Pukekohe AFC, a small town club in New Zealand, for the last 20 years. Only a few months before he died, we had the great pleasure and privilege to have the great man speak at our clubs Sportsman's dinner. I took my dad, a red, but a big fan of Bally since 66. He reckons he won the World Cup for us nearly single handed. I got the DVD of the 66 WC Final and played it to the lads from the footy club the night before, as some only knew Alan Ball as ex-manager of City etc. My dad was right. He covered every inch of that Wembley turf, many times over. Think James McArthy on steroids!

Alan spoke for about two hours covering his childhood, a lot about his dad, Blackpool, England and the WC and loads about Everton including his first derby when he scored twice (even the reds on our table were in awe). His love for Everton was obvious. He also went on to talk about Arsenal, Saints, City, Pompey, etc. When he'd finished he stuck around for another hour chatting to anybody who wanted a word, posed for photos, helped us raffle off England and Everton shirts, signed autographs, etc.

Throughout it all he was an absolute gentleman, no swears, inspirational, funny, respectful to all (even the reds ;). So much so my dad said ".. we should of brought your mum!"

Alan Ball. Great player, Great Blue. Great man. RIP

That's a great story, mate. I was a bit young to appreciate just how good Bally was when he was at Everton, as I was only 9 when he was sold to Arsenal, but even at that age he just stood out for me and was my hero. I also loved the fact he wore white boots at a time when every other footballer wore black.

He was never quite the same player after he left us. Still a great player, but not the world class player who played for us. It's been said by some that Catterick knew he was past his best and sold him at the right time, but he was only 26, so should have been approaching his prime. In my opinion, leaving Everton was almost like a bereavement for him, and he never had the same passion or desire to play for other teams that he had when he played for the Blues.

Today the 24th April, the world lost one of the greatest footballers that played the game of football the way it should be played. Everton fans worldwide will always remember the genius that was loved by all.
Today is the 7th anniversary of his death.
I was in contact with his youngest daughter yesterday who will be present at St Mary's on Saturday cheering on the mighty blues with her two boys.
Let us take time today to reflect on s football legend. RIP Bally you were the greatest

alan%20ball.gif

Any idea if their is anything scheduled to honour him in the Saturday game mate, given his history and status at both us and Southampton?

whose the greatest of them all? Little curly Alan Ball. Not ashamed to admit I cried when Bally was sold. The best player I ever saw in the royal blue jersey and my god I have seen some great players since I first went to Goodison in 1963
RIP Alan. watched you through the sixties. nobody has ever matched what you had since, you summed up what Once a blue always a blue really ment

Like many on here, Ball for me was the best player in a blue shirt ( apologies to the god like Alex Young) that I ever watched and the only one who still brings tears to my eyes when I think about him. He may be gone but his reputation will last forever...

I was 11 when I first saw Ball/Harvey/Kendall at Goodison and I idolised Alan Ball. Not just for his ability, flair and talent, but for all his other attributes. There was no "team huddle" for the cameras...Bally could inspire with a look - he wore his heart on his sleeve and demanded 100% and then some from his teammates and he wasn't even the captain. His arrogance complemented his skill and was accepted as he was the real deal...white boots - the squat on the ball etc etc. He personified Nil Satis Nisi Optimum...and class.

Status
Not open for further replies.