WE REMEMBER ALAN BALL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been playing for Pukekohe AFC, a small town club in New Zealand, for the last 20 years. Only a few months before he died, we had the great pleasure and privilege to have the great man speak at our clubs Sportsman's dinner.

That sounds more than worth the air fare to NZ, wish I'd gone

I've been listening to epicly-aged Evertonians long enough to know that Alan Ball ranks right alongside Dixie Dean and Neville Southall as the three most memorable players the club has ever had.

Best player I've seen in an Everton shirt, I absolutely idolised him as a kid, and was inconsolable when we sold him, that news haunts me to this day.
'Who's the geeatest of them all?'
Indeed
Same here mate I too absolutely idolised him, one of the worst days of my life when we sold him, best Everton player ever R I P Bally

The greatest . . . . . . . end of
It was a pleasure to watch him play.
For those too young to have seen him, think of James McCarthy on speed, multiply that by 10, then add an incredible football brain and the touch of an angel . . . . . . . Now you're close.
Would give anything to have seen Bally play on today's pitches.

I was 6yrs old when Alan Ball was sold so couldn't really understand why my Dad was so upset.
Now I can't help but feel that The Cat (legend tho he is), deprived me of something.

I've had many favourite Everton payers over the years - among others Bob Latchford, Peter Reid, Tim Cahill all of whom I thought were great. But only one player have I truly idolised and worshipped. RIP Bally.

Bally was a world class player - scored 20 goals from midfield in one season the best box to box skilful midfielder you will ever see - Captained the blues in their run in to the title in 1969/70 as Labby was injured - a pure winner, played when the refs gave no protection to players as they do now, but he could look after himself as small as he was. RIP to the best player I have ever seen in a blue shirt he was that brilliant! on todays market what would his value be? he would be sort after by Barcelona etc! Rooney could polish his boots for him!

Even now that walk to school on the morning the news broke was just about the worst feeling ever along with the Monday after the 1971 semi final. That was a match though, Ball going was the sign of the end of an era. An incredible footballer. Met Kendall and Harvey on several occasions but never Ball. Don't think I would ever have dared even speak to him such was the awe in which he was held.

anyone know if there are any plans to honour him at st marys on Saturday considering his links with both clubs?

Status
Not open for further replies.