Tim Howard

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the biggest improvements in Tim's game in the last year is when he collects the ball after and opposition attack, he's straight back up off his feet looking to set up a counter by quickly giving it to the likes of Seamus, Kev and Ross etc. That has also been evident in his USA games this World Cup.

There's no such thing as a perfect 'keeper. It goes with the territory. Tim is a high quality keeper and I am happy to have him here.

I had tears in my eyes and the hairs on the back of my neck were standing up.

So proud of him.

What a role model.

One of the biggest improvements in Tim's game in the last year is when he collects the ball after and opposition attack, he's straight back up off his feet looking to set up a counter by quickly giving it to the likes of Seamus, Kev and Ross etc. That has also been evident in his USA games this World Cup.
He talked about how Roberto had really got him to set the pace from the back and developed that aspect of his game somewhere. CBA finding the quotes

You'l find a consistent opinon of mine on Howard stretching right back to when he was on loan.

Yeah fair enough mate, but you will also find plenty of outrage when we signed McCarthy on this forum and you can be sure those later seen that they were completely wrong.

Was Southall a bad keeper? Because it sounds like in your opinion a keeper has to keep a clean sheet to be any good, Southall didn't save everything that was sent at him. There is a generation of blues, maybe two that didn't see big Nev, and Howard is the best keeper they have seen play for the blues, expecting more is a bit unrealistic.

Every keeper lets in goals. Iin football for a team to score the conceding team have to make a mistake otherwise games are a stalemate, and the keeper is the most vunerable. After setting a record for the amount of saves in a World Cup game, beating the likes of Lev Yashin and Gordon Banks it was a bit harsh to mention the goal when Belgium finally got one past him.

tim-howard-yearbook-quote.jpg

Tims High School year book

Yeah fair enough mate, but you will also find plenty of outrage when we signed McCarthy on this forum and you can be sure those later seen that they were completely wrong.

Was Southall a bad keeper? Because it sounds like in your opinion a keeper has to keep a clean sheet to be any good, Southall didn't save everything that was sent at him. There is a generation of blues, maybe two that didn't see big Nev, and Howard is the best keeper they have seen play for the blues, expecting more is a bit unrealistic.

Every keeper lets in goals. Iin football for a team to score the conceding team have to make a mistake otherwise games are a stalemate, and the keeper is the most vunerable. After setting a record for the amount of saves in a World Cup game, beating the likes of Lev Yashin and Gordon Banks it was a bit harsh to mention the goal when Belgium finally got one past him.

I accept that mate, whole heartedly, Big Nev was a brilliant keeper, uniuqe and having grown up watching him its unfair to compare every keeper to him. Its not the stick im measuring Howard of, nor am i measuring him of a good game for the USA, and two very good seasons for Everton that i have mentioned - really its the context of his career and overall id have to say we should have and expect better - thats overall in terms of his career with us.

I dont expect a keeper to perfect, but a guage should be is a goal preventable by the skill of the keeper in making decision making, ability, positioning and overall mentality. Howard is fluxuante for me - he has a high level of talent - as we saw on Weds, but a lot of his goals conceded are preventable for me based on his decision making and mentality.

I know im massively out there on my own in saying that and perfectly happy to admit i may be wrong - just my opinion - ive been p[retty consistent within that.

anyone see the BBC article about how torrettes can help improve a goal keeper? Basically about our tim being so boss.

Love the fact he is getting this praise and attention now after the belgium game. He has improved so much in the past year and its nice to see the world actually take notice of him now as being a top keeper. He isnt world class by any means but very very few are. But have stood by tim for years as our number one and love the praise he is gaining around the world.

And he is in the Nike ad campaign!

Think Martyn was a better keeper, but Howard will go down as a bigger player in our history now. He's had ups and downs with us, but the fact he's just had his best season and I've never considered goal keeper (at least first choice) an issue for us since he's been here says a lot.

His performance the other night for the US was genuinely phenomenal. Not necessarily for an individual saves, a lot were close to his body, but the volume is what's impressive. Both shots that beat him were excellent finishes, but everything else he saved required good positioning, good reflexes and fast thinking. Great performance and I'm so glad he's getting the world wide recognition he is.

Speaks volumes about the man how well he's improved his all round game last season too. Top keeper.

Smart move by the club to get his contract extended before the World cup.

If he keeps putting in performances like he did last season, and he has Distin like levels of fitness, then we don't have to spend big on a replacement for a couple of years.

But if age starts catching up with him then the long contract and his World Cup performances mean we'll probably get a decent transfer fee out of a mls team.

Status
Not open for further replies.