Three at the Back Against City

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's hard to see on tv, but looks like it's been a 3-4-3 for some time, with Barry dropping back into CB
That's TV and I understand the thinking. Much more fluid than that in real life. Let's get a team out at Southampton first anyway.

I think if we hadn't been so good playing 4-4-2 Bobby would've tried the 3-5-2 formation out more during the season.

Can't see him doing it so late in the season, but I don't suppose Pellegrini'll expect him to do it either ;)

Too much of a risk - do not want that to be a reason we play badly.

When we made changes against Palace, by not starting with Barry and McCarthy against Palace cost us a point.

Do not want the same issue with City, as they have better players.

We need to try the 3 at the back in pre-season

Barry's not available for City

Last edited:

Swap out one of those CBs for Stones

Play Barkley at CM, or perhaps Gibson if available.

This was what I was suggesting, sorry if it wasn't clear.

Something like

Jags -- Stones -- Distin
Coleman -- McCarthy -- Baines
Mirallas Barkley
Naismith
Lukaku
Honestly, not very different from today, except for Stones playing Barry's role (but he'd obviously play it more like a CB than a DM, hence where I put him).

Basically, we have to drop Barry and Barkley doesn't really seem ready to fill in back there. So that basically leaves us with the options of a) throwing in Gibson (if he's fit) b) playing Barkley/Osman there and hoping that they figure out how to deal with City's counter c) just playing McCarthy back there and praying he has an earth shattering performance or d) my plan.

Last edited:

This was what I was suggesting, sorry if it wasn't clear.

Something like

Jags -- Stones -- Distin
Coleman -- McCarthy -- Baines
Mirallas Barkley
Naismith
Lukaku
Honestly, not very different from today, except for Stones playing Barry's role (but he'd obviously play it more like a CB than a DM, hence where I put him).

Basically, we have to drop Barry and Barkley doesn't really seem ready to fill in back there. So that basically leaves us with the options of a) throwing in Gibson (if he's fit) b) playing Barkley/Osman there and hoping that they figure out how to deal with City's counter c) just playing McCarthy back there and praying he has an earth shattering performance or d) my plan.

This is very similar to the 4-3-3 we've played several times in this recent winning run, with Stones replacing Barry. I like the formation, but would generally list Baines and coleman as fullbacks and Stones next to McCarthy. In practice, when Coleman and Baines both push up the field, Jags and Distin spread wide to the full back spots and Stones (usually Barry) drops to the centre half roll. Only difference is I would maybe play Osman next to to McCarthy and Stones in midfield, with Barkley Naismith and Lukaku up top. Alternatively Barkley could play in Midfield with McGeady or Deulofeu up top and Osman on the bench.

------------Howard
---Coleman -Jags-Distin-Baines
-----Osman--Stones--McCarthy
-----Naismith--Lukaku--Barkley

This would be our default shape, but as Coleman and Baines push up the pitch it would change into something more similar to what you posted:

--------------Howard
Jags--------Stones------Distin
----------McCarthy
Coleman------Osman------Baines
-----Naismith----Lukaku--Barkley

This is very similar to the 4-3-3 we've played several times in this recent winning run, with Stones replacing Barry. I like the formation, but would generally list Baines and coleman as fullbacks and Stones next to McCarthy. In practice, when Coleman and Baines both push up the field, Jags and Distin spread wide to the full back spots and Stones (usually Barry) drops to the centre half roll. Only difference is I would maybe play Osman next to to McCarthy and Stones in midfield, with Barkley Naismith and Lukaku up top. Alternatively Barkley could play in Midfield with McGeady or Deulofeu up top and Osman on the bench.

------------Howard
---Coleman -Jags-Distin-Baines
-----Osman--Stones--McCarthy
-----Naismith--Lukaku--Barkley

This would be our default shape, but as Coleman and Baines push up the pitch it would change into something more similar to what you posted:

--------------Howard
Jags--------Stones------Distin
----------McCarthy
Coleman------Osman------Baines
-----Naismith----Lukaku--Barkley

Yeah I think we're on the same page, just with the fluidity of our current team it can be a bit hard to figure out where exactly to place everybody on these diagrams.

As the Palace game revealed, we're a bit susceptible on the break without Barry and McCarthy. I'm thinking that our best strategy might be a combo of three of our four center backs (depending on who's healthy) behind McCarthy, with Stones playing a more midfieldish/passing-oriented roll, a la Barry. Anybody agree?

Christ no...did the Yobo, Jagielka fiascos teach you nothing, Stones is a CH FB for a reason

Status
Not open for further replies.