Three at the Back Against City

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefisch26

Player Valuation: £500k
As the Palace game revealed, we're a bit susceptible on the break without Barry and McCarthy. I'm thinking that our best strategy might be a combo of three of our four center backs (depending on who's healthy) behind McCarthy, with Stones playing a more midfieldish/passing-oriented roll, a la Barry. Anybody agree?

Not a bad idea. I guess it will depend on how many fit centrebacks we have available though. I don't think Roberto will want to change a winning formula too much unless it was forced on him and City are likely to come at us anyway rather than counter.

Not sure Stones (as good as he is) could perform in a similar role to Barry just yet, doesn't quite have the vision just now. I think Barry has been a revelation this year having previously written him off as a dull footballer.

I think he will play same system as today with Ossie in Barry's place. Lukaku and Barkley will need to play better than they did today, both seemed heavy footed and a little clumsy.

Its handy we employ people to be thinking that far ahead, all my thoughts now are on us beating the Saints and then hope, and surely they have to at some stage, Newcastle get a result.

Then i'l be right up for that there City game, COYB.

I'd go 5-4-1, a la Wigan vs Arsenal a few year ago, have a spare man at the back vs 2 strikers, or follow Dzeko/Aguero/Negredo wide and have 2 v 0 at the back for cover.

Baines - Stones - Jags - Distin - Coleman

Naismith - McCarthy - Barkley - Mirallas

Lukaku

or 3-5-1-1 to avoid putting Barkley out of position, but put Baines in midfield to cover runs from Yayayayayaya

Jags - Stones - Distin
McGeady - Baines - McCarthy - Ossie - Mirallas
Barkley
Lukaku

Too much of a risk - do not want that to be a reason we play badly.

When we made changes against Palace, by not starting with Barry and McCarthy against Palace cost us a point.

Do not want the same issue with City, as they have better players.

We need to try the 3 at the back in pre-season

City are a top goal scoring side, still have to play this one real safe, saying that they have a few players out and seem to be out of steam

Not sure Stones (as good as he is) could perform in a similar role to Barry just yet, doesn't quite have the vision just now. I think Barry has been a revelation this year having previously written him off as a dull footballer.

I think he will play same system as today with Ossie in Barry's place. Lukaku and Barkley will need to play better than they did today, both seemed heavy footed and a little clumsy.
... you can say that again. Both were less than good. Lukaku is a bit of an enigma for me. I am of conclusion that he is NOT worth the numbers being spouted about (25 million?). But that's just my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.