This Saturday Everton remember the Championship winning side of 1962/63 at Goodison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was it right the bribe he took at Sheff Wed was a tenner? I know its a long time ago but a fxxxxxng tenner

I think the 'real' story went something like this...?

Layne or Swan, ' we never get anything at Ipswich '

Swan or Layne, one of whom I think, had family connections to bookmakers... Give us 50 quid and I'll get it on Ipswich at least we'll get something out of it, you in Tony?
Yeah wtf ' ( or similar ).

Sheff Wed did lose, Kay was man of the match.

It then got murky, when another ex player (?) Gauld, in trouble with the law decided to get some cred back by offering the 3 up to help his own situation
'Secret' recordings via the then ( later sunday ) people news paper.
It all grew legs and the fa had to make an example etc etc blah blah
Court proceedings, using the new as then taped evidence.

One of the side results was that Kay was given an offer he couldn't refuse and was invited to london to give the newly nicked Kray bros the full SP on taped evidence.

I saw him last in the roger hunt testimonial, he hadn't played for 7yrs? and was joint MotM. 3 players gave it heaps in the game Jerry - just coz you are too old and have a dodgey shoulder no reason not to give it 110% - byrne
New kid on the block Kevin Keegan

and Tony Kay, head and shoulders above everyone

A true blue 'kin legend.

Last edited:
This was my first season going to the match, I was 10, seems like yesterday. They were a very good outfit, Vernon and young were an unbelievable combination. As mentioned by a previous poster Tony Kaye was the real deal, talk about hard men, Tony Kaye and Johnny Morrisey were as hard as anybody and both had tremendous ability. Although only on the fringe of the 63 championship team Moggsy went on to be one of the stars of the team that (for me) was the greatest of all time, the 69-70 championship team. Happy days

always remember the fulham game as i was stuck in bed with measles and me mam wouldnt let me go, annoying thing was id been to nearly every game that season, music to my ears to hear eamon andrews open sports report on the radio with everton are champions.

always remember the fulham game as i was stuck in bed with measles and me mam wouldnt let me go, annoying thing was id been to nearly every game that season, music to my ears to hear eamon andrews open sports report on the radio with everton are champions.
brilliant, am going to have a tenner on 4 ,1 saturday mate for the sake of it

I have seen all of the players in the picture play:

Back row: left to right not sure on the fella n the tie, Kay,Meagan,Scott, Labone,Temple, West , fella on the end,

Front Row: Catterick, Gabriel,Parker, Moores, Stevens ,Dunlop, Vernon and Young.

Anyone know who the 2 I couldn't name are? of if any of theses are wrong?

I got to see Young, Gabriel,Scott, labone West some team that, remember my Mum got a pic sitting on Scott's lap in the metal box club in Speke

This was my first season going to the match, I was 10, seems like yesterday. They were a very good outfit, Vernon and young were an unbelievable combination. As mentioned by a previous poster Tony Kaye was the real deal, talk about hard men, Tony Kaye and Johnny Morrisey were as hard as anybody and both had tremendous ability. Although only on the fringe of the 63 championship team Moggsy went on to be one of the stars of the team that (for me) was the greatest of all time, the 69-70 championship team. Happy days

My first season too aged 6 years old what support we had then better standing & the boys pen singing like a choir!

....I am fortunate enough to just about recall the day. I was nearly 8 years old at the time. Love for you younger guys to see a bit of the Blue glory I have witnessed, you all deserve it so much.

I agree Eggs, I wouldn't mind witnessing some more glory for ourselves as well mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.