Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

….bit surprised there’s been no John Lundstrum links given he’s out of contract with Rangers, is looking for a return to England and was once of this parish.

30 years old, can be a bit of ‘dog’ and moves like an old boat.

Last edited:
No sale will ever compare to Rooney leaving for me. Maybe it's because I'm older but Rooney was one of us. A boy genius who felt destined to become a great. He brought genuine excitement.

Branthwaite is a very good player. He could become a great player but he's no Wayne Rooney.
100%! When he burst into the limelight, he was undisputedly the star of his generation. Branthwaite is going to be class, but even allowing for the fact that defenders never pull the same attention as strikers (except for the blessed saint Virgil of course) he isn’t in the same category as Wayne as. Having said that having to sell both is gutting,

They'll sack him if he wins 1-2 in his first 10 games. Leeds won't mess around this time giving managers longer than they should.

They appointed him purely to get them straight back up so all bets off regarding his long term future given his poor record with Norwich once in the premier league.
There is massive finance behind us now. If Farke is allowed to exploit the market for about 4 or 5 decent players we might be mid table and consolidate. The team is young.

Disagree. I think if Branthwaite was here when Rooney was here OR Rooney was here now...

...we'd be seeing two potentially world class players move. I also think Branthwaite will stay at the very top (when he arrives there) for longer than Rooney.

Equal feeling for me if Branthwaite were to move. Not only for the player leaving but also with us being so close to the new stadium.
Rooney won't have any complaints about his career, I'm sure. His time at the top made him United's and England's (briefly) record scorer and he won stacks of trophies. Whilst I rate Branthwaite, he'll need a hell of a career to get close to Rooney's.

But that's not really the question. Rooney was local. He was an Evertonian. He got you off your seat. How many defenders get you off your seat? Michael Keane but for all the wrong reasons. Defenders can never bring the level of excitement that an attacking player can.

But as I said in the original post, being older probably has a lot to do with it too. I have a number of real life priorities that are far more important than a footballer changing teams.

You like him then ?

…ha, ha. He can be a dog (scored an own goal & was sent off in the recent Old Firm), he’s immobile and moves like an old boat. On the plus side he’s ok in possession, tends to pass the ball to his teammate.

I wouldn’t want him, I just thought he’d be an easy rumour for the press given our financial state and his previous links to Everton.

….bit surprised there’s been no John Lundstrum links given he’s out of contract with Rangers, is looking for a return to England and was once of this parish.

30 years old, can be a bit of ‘dog’ and moves like an old boat.
He's too bad even to be linked with us Might go to Tranmere if he wants to come back to the area.

Rooney won't have any complaints about his career, I'm sure. His time at the top made him United's and England's (briefly) record scorer and he won stacks of trophies. Whilst I rate Branthwaite, he'll need a hell of a career to get close to Rooney's.

But that's not really the question. Rooney was local. He was an Evertonian. He got you off your seat. How many defenders get you off your seat? Michael Keane but for all the wrong reasons. Defenders can never bring the level of excitement that an attacking player can.

But as I said in the original post, being older probably has a lot to do with it too. I have a number of real life priorities that are far more important than a footballer changing teams.

….the skill set for a striker is so much higher for obvious reasons and it’s why they tend to go for big bucks.

Rooney is a generational talent, it’s fantastic we were also able to unearth two defensive diamonds in Stones and Branthwaite.

RB Salzburg have a few youngsters contracts coming to an end next season:
Oumar Solet (CB) linked last summer I recall
Luka Sucic (CM/CAM) 21 year old already playing for Croatia

Gourna Douath expires in 2026 but he is a phenomenal player (DM) would be a perfect Onana replacement and cheaper than a more tried and tested option ie Luis or Thuram

RB Salzburg have a few youngsters contracts coming to an end next season:
Oumar Solet (CB) linked last summer I recall
Luka Sucic (CM/CAM) 21 year old already playing for Croatia

Gourna Douath expires in 2026 but he is a phenomenal player (DM) would be a perfect Onana replacement and cheaper than a more tried and tested option ie Luis or Thuram

His injury history is terrible that's why he's still there.