Strength in depth

Status
Not open for further replies.

MakinN

Player Valuation: £50k
After watching a 4-0 trashing last night, i have high hopes for our upcoming games agaisnt the like of blackburn, hull and pompey, with the like of us having lots of players coming back from injury to help chip in with goals
the fact that weve got the yak back, saha in good form and jo coming on last nite to get a goal, can only give us confidence for sunday, giving us the chance to get vaughny on loan to try and get some minutes under his belt can help him have a good back end of the season if he stays fit!
maybe if where lucky, no-one else will get a majour injury and then in around 2 months we could line up our strongest team, which would be the first time we could do that in years!

I dont really understand your title as it bears no relation to your topic, however, I have just read an article where Moyes says we have 3 players less than last year so I really dont see that we have any strength in depth at all.

Those players we have for the bench really arent good enough to make a sustained challenge in the league / cups at all.

Amazin, we lose and its Moyes out, the players arent good enough, we win and its League title here we come.

Im not saying Everton fans are fickle, not at all.

I dont know about depth in certain positions but we certainly do look like we've got quality in the squad.

There was £40million worth of talant on the bench against Fulham - I dont think Moyes has ever had that. With Distin and Neil we've got prem experienced players that can play a number of positions. With Heitinga we could have some steel in the middle of the park. And with Bilythekid we've got width with Pienaar.

We still lack that bit of pace though. The centre of midfield is a wee bit unbalanced, it looked good last night, but in the prem it might not work.

Its a heathier squad than last year IMO though. Every 1st team player is good enough to start and add to the team in a way.

Amazin, we lose and its Moyes out, the players arent good enough, we win and its League title here we come.

where not fickle at all, thats a complete pile of crap, just that weve needed a win to boost the confidence and i think now everyones a little bit happier for getting one!

We were a bit of a shambles in the second half last night once Pienaar, Cahill, and Billy were subbed.
Had we played a second half like that against a good side, I feel we may have been hanging on a little, so in that respect, yes, we have a few lads that we can throw on as sub, but we certainly don't have a big enough squad that we can maintain momentum once our key players are lost.

If we lost Pienaar, we certainly don't have another Pienaar ( at least untill Arteta returns ), nor another Baines etc. We can do a makeshift change, but the quality isn't the same.

Hopefully, we can earn a few quid this year, and without losing anyone, add another few players in the next window.

Then we might be able to say we have strength in depth.

Last edited:

We were a bit of a shambles in the second half last night once Pienaar, Cahill, and Billy were subbed.
Had we played a second half like that against a good side, I feel we may have been hanging on a little, so in that respect, yes, we have a few lads that we can throw on as sub, but we certainly don't have a big enough squad that we can maintain momentum once our key players are lost.

If we lost Pienaar, we certainly don't have another Pienaar ( at least untill Arteta returns ), nor another Baines etc. We can do a makeshift change, but the quality isn't the same.

Hopefully, we can earn a few quid this year, and without losing anyone, add another few players in the next window.

Then we might be able to say we have strength in depth.

good point, personally to cover bainsey, i wouldnt mind us bringin in Michael Ball for a season or two, still only around 29 and hes not that bad, good player to have around the club and to push bainsey for his spot

good point, personally to cover bainsey, i wouldnt mind us bringin in Michael Ball for a season or two, still only around 29 and hes not that bad, good player to have around the club and to push bainsey for his spot

Dustbin and Billy can play left back. Neil said he can too.

Left is sorted.

Would love to see some sort of research (one of you lot have time for this) on the tenor of the posts following a match - what % are positive after a win and what % are negative after a loss.

Judging (not scientifically, of course) by what I read, mass hari kari or mob-style pillaging after a loss and CL berth and top 4 finish and mass hugging after a win.

No fickleness here.

With everyone fit, my strongest line up would be:-

................Howard..................

Heitinga...Jagielka..Distin..Baines

..........Fellaini......Arteta...........

Pienaar........Cahill.........Bilyaletdinov

..................Yakubu................

Bench:-

Nash
Yobo
Neville
Neill
Rodwell
Jo
Saha

You`ll agree that it looks strong, but I cant find a place for our captain Phil Neville. Just dont rate him any higher than the players in there. I know its a squad game and they will all get plenty of minutes, I would put Jags as captain!!!!

What do you think????

Status
Not open for further replies.