somewhat new to EPL

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgheverton

Player Valuation: £225k
im from america (please dont hold it against me) and ive been paying attention to the EPL for about 5 years now or so. i adopted everton as my favorite team. recently i was 'forced" to purchase the fox (please dont hold this against me) "soccer"channel in my cable tv sports package and i got two channels and its just great. i look forward to saturday/sunday mornings when i can wake up and watch the EPL before my daily dose of american football. they also have serie a and spanish and german leagues too.

right now im watching an FA cup match.ive never played football but i have a hobby of evaluating NFL (american football) talent coming out of the collegiate ranks. ive watched a lot lot of EPL games this year and i must say ive been really shocked by the lack of athleticism of a lot of the players. it seems to me that many of these players have no business being professional athletes. some of them look like the guy you sit next to at work who moonlights as a professional athlete. i know that in sports in america the players are far more athletic than in the EPL.

im not really skilled in the x's and o's of football but it would seem to me that espcially in a game like football that is played in what we who follow the NFL call "space" (maneuvering in the open field) that superior athletes would be even more dominant. i watched everton vs liverpool and although a very exciting game i saw many opportunities where a superior athlete would have helped everton score goals. i saw where there was space for a player but they did not have the athletcism to beat the defender to the ball. which brings me to my point and or question.

when evaluating football players do they take into consideration their speed (40 yd dash time in a merica) athleticism (vertical jump, broad jump) short area qucikness (3 cone drill, short and intermediate shuttle)or strength (bench press, power clean). in evaluating athletes here these are key stats that determine whether or not they have the pedigree to play. in football it seems like this is not really taken into consideration as there aremany substandard athletes even playing for the best teams. also there arent any good american players.

most of the guys who play in the EPL who are american are poor athletes. most youngsters here dont play football but i can assure you that there are guys in this country who have never played football who would burn even the best EPL defenders with ease. i believe that this is an untapped goldmine for any EPL team, ( hopefully everton). imtalking about guys who have the type of speed and athleticism no EPL player could match. the kind of player who will render wayne roohey and didier drogba "slow". many of these players also have incredible leaping ability. players who can rise their head above the hands of a goalkeeper. the kind of ability to where when the ball is crossed in high, no player but them will get a head on it. players with short area quickness unparalleld by any EPL player.

the ability to cut and change direction leaving defenders flailing in their wake as they blow by. defenders who control the the air totally and physically dominate even the best current strikers. goalkeepers with height and massive wingspans who can leap and cover the entire goal. yes even those bending shots to the high corner can be stopped by these guys. im talking guys over 6'6" with 7 ft wingspans. huge long arms.when the ball is in the air in the box, no player has a chance to get a head on it. these athletes exist in this country and many will never see an nfl or nba court or field. most of these athletes are multiple sport stars and could translate that superior athleticism to the pitch as well. once taught the nuances of football, their athleticism will take over the game.

the problem is none of these athletes plays football, preferring american football or basketball. does everton have an evaluation system for this and do they ever consider non-footballers from america. being the state of the EPL where there are only a few teams with all the money just buying the best players would it not suit everton to find another avenue to the top of the epl? it seems every time a great player comes along manu or chelsea or arsenal pick them up eventually even if the second level teams find and develop a player. t

hese guys are bigger faster and more athletic than any of the african players and certainly more than any european player. please forgive any ignorance but i just see a time in future where football is a game played by far superior athletes than it is now and i think the path for everton may lie down this road.

if everton wants to compete they should seriously examine this avenue. the main key is to avoid anyone playing collegiate or MLS "soccer" (i dont even consider it real football) and concentrate more on athletes playing american football especially but also basketball at the collegiate level. these are the best athletes on the planet and they are either being ignored or no one has yet the foresight to tap this goldmine of superior athleticism and replace andy johnson with a guy who can run 40 yd (35 m) in under 4.5 seconds, can vertical jump 38 inches (1 m).

also it seems as though many of the footballers get hurt too much and have frail bodies. football is not much of a contact sport. the stronger bodies of these athletes would also better stand up to the long rigors of the football season and can play every game. they dont have to sit out. call your local newspapers and pressure everton to start examining non-football playing athletic talents in america. these guys are the best no matter what sport they play.

lets turn the beautiful game into the fast and furious game and lets win some EPL titles, some FA cups and some european titles. give me three years with my choice of any of the players i wanted from america (non "soccer" players of course) and i will put that 11 out there and they will beat any team on earth.

ronaldinho, henry, messi gerrard you can have whomever you want. you may as well put a womens team out there as these guys are no match for the athletes over here. everton needs an advantage to compete with the money clubs. i hope to someday visit liverpool and go to goodison park and see the toffees play but i dont want to watch what i saw against liverpool.

just think of beating liverpool every time and how enjoyable that would be and forget any biases you may have heard about american players and lets dominate the EPL for years to come. these arent the clint dempseys or tim howards of the world. these are the elite of the elite athletes on the planet

i love this site already. any enlightenment from those who really know and watch football would be cool. ill be sure to keep any future posts shorter. thanks

i love this site already. any enlightenment from those who really know and watch football would be cool. ill be sure to keep any future posts shorter. thanks

Keep them long, and [Poor language removed] it don't use a fullstop or a comma. If I have to pause for breath during any of your posts then I'm done with this site.

;)

elite athtletes dont play baseball in america these days. the game is mostly dominated by latin americans now. its a game not really dependent on great athleticism. its more of a hand eye coordiation thing rather than pure athleticism unlike american football or basketball. you dont see them evaluating 40 times etc in baseball either youre good at hitting and fielding or you're not

Status
Not open for further replies.