Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd probably start him vs Wolfsburg and Tottenham, then rest him for Hull, then start him vs City. I know you should take every game as it comes but I can't see him starting all four.

You could change the lyrics to Ross Barkley and make a good song.

Utd, Real, Munich , Chelsea everybody talk about Ross Barkley
Talk about, Ross Barkley.

Just thought I'd mention it.

I didn't just make the stuff up, just have a quick google search. Even Did Hamann talks about Schweinstiger, and he was told about him when he was at Bayern. Future development is key, hence why they produce great players.

The Naismith thing is a different point, not sure weather you are getting mixed up.

Ross WILL play in the Central midfiled, were James McCarthy & Barry are playing, he is not yet becuase part of his game he needs to improve. To do that he needs to learn the game, and make the mistakes in order to put them right.

He should be played attacking centrally....BUT Naisy has been playing well, so Ross has played left. Not great, but still better than throwing him in the middle, as he can still learn.
I'm not saying you're making it up but the reason players are played out wide isn't just for them but also so the team doesn't suffer while they're learning.

If the competition doesn't exist in their position they would play there.

Which comes back to my point. Barkley is being played out wide because we have no-one on the left and Naismith's form and teamwork.

Given that Eto'o has also been chosen ahead of Barkley we must only assume Martinez doesn't think he has the game yet to play as the No10.

As for playing deeper. I suspect Barkley sees his position as the No8 like Gazza but we don't really play that formation and it sort has gone out of fashion in general. Personally I think he will be best if left as a No10.

Red Huaraches?
10806436_10152389399481277_269249298602519388_n.jpg

Sell him.

I think there's players who coaches don't know their best position who get moved around. Others like Messi and Henry start on the wings initially due to having more senior players ahead of them but I think it's nonsense that players get played out of position to aid their development although I'm sure managers like to deflect and say that's what they're doing.

McCarthy was only 22 and he played every almost game for us last season at CM. Rom was 21 and the only time he got booted out wide was for tactics - something which causes Martinez to keep trying to get Eto'o into the team.

It's a myth it's being done for his development, he's being played out wide to accommodate Naismith and because Martinez doesn't fancy Atsu who is the only player left uninjured and it worked once or twice particularly against City.

Nope.

He is definitely being groomed for a deeper role - Martinez said so himself -

Roberto Martinez dashes Ross Barkley's hopes of playing deeper in Everton's midfield
ROBERTO MARTINEZ has dashed Ross Barkley's dream of becoming a midfield general this season.

By Chris McKenna / Published 22nd November 2014
Ross-Barkley-Everton-411531.jpg

The Everton boss wants Barkley to play over 100 Premier League games before he will drop him into a deeper central role.

Barkley, 20, currently plays as one of three attacking midfield players in Martinez's side.

The England international expressed his desire to play further back when he penned a new long-term deal in the summer.

He has played 51 Premier League games so far for the Blues, but will need to reach a ton before Martinez will give him his preferred position on a regular basis.

The Spaniard is not concerned about how often the young star gives away possession despite England boss Roy Hodgson getting on his case during the Scotland game in the week.

But the Everton chief is still not ready to give Barkley what he wants.

He said: "I think eventually I want Ross to play that position, but 'eventually' is maybe 100 games in the Premier League. That's the thought.

"Ross can play many positions, I just think at the moment you need to let him develop that knowledge about the game, allow him to make good decisions.

"Playing in the deeper role is different. You need to reduce what you do on the ball, put more work off the ball.

"I think the outstanding quality of Ross is the way he brings that transition as soon as he wins the ball, the way he attacks players and drives at space.

“At the moment, it would be a big loss if you restrict Ross in terms of what he gives you naturally as a raw talent”

"I think eventually he will get a little bit more settled with the way he plays.

"But at the moment, it would be a big loss if you restrict Ross in terms of what he gives you naturally as a raw talent."

He knows his best position is a free role, but he isnt going to just play him 100 times in that role and then say "right ok, you're ready now to play deeper." He has to be given more and more responsibility and that comes with playing different positions, including wide where he needs to cover for the fullback.

You may be right but I think theres enough evidence to suggest its more than a 'myth'.

Martinez might have aims for Barkley to play deeper eventually but right now I think he's being played wide to accommodate Naismith.

Eventually I'm not sure, even Toure who's probably the closest player he's like is still most effective played of the striker in the hole. Maybe Barkley will loose his fear in tackling and develop more positional sense but I'm not sure that will ever be his strength.

I wouldn't be surprised if he never develops into that player and I'm not sure either that would be a bad thing especially how we play now under Martinez.

Status
Not open for further replies.