Putting another tier on the Park End

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is often suggested as part of a solution to our stadium woes. Whilst it most likely wouldn't really address our main issues, it's something that should have been done a long time ago. The original plans for the Park End were for it to be a two tier stand, until Peter Johnson nixed the idea and went with the cheaper option. A two tier Park End would at least boost capacity by a few thousand, and probably even more crucially increase our executive box facilties (double or tripling our revenue in that area, at least), something the club is crying out for.

Anyway, I bring this up after visiting Wolves yesterday, and basically seeing for myself what they have done - adding another tier on to their own version of the Park End. These are two photos of the same stand, one from March 2010 when we played them, and one from yesterday:

24cgsq0.jpg

8zo7wn.jpg

There wasn't much space taken up behind the stand either, by construction. There was a small construction area, but nothing major. The ticket offices had been moved to the side, in temporary portacabins. As you can see, the lower tier was already open, with the top tier opening in August. The new stand is costing Wolves £18m to build, and includes new museum, supporters bar and megastore. Capacity is being boosted from 27000 to 31000.

Just thought this was interesting. Obviously there's no new stadium on the horizon. So rather than continue to do nothing, which is effectively what the current board is doing, and us continuing to follow the model of selling one star each summer to keep the banks sweet, and rely on Moyes' managerial abilities to keep us in the top half, I think doing something like this would be of far greater benefit in the long run. I'm sure most people would rather we have a super duper new stadium, but if we can't have that, we should be settling for the next best thing in stadium redevelopment - which is possible (as shown above, being done by other clubs), no matter what Elstone says.

Unlike others, I think you have put together a very good thread with a good case for expanding Goodison.
As you have said, sitting around on our arses is getting the club nowhere! Even a bad idea is better than no idea so well done for putting this forward (not that its a bad idea!)
I think the idea could work, obviously the draw back is if we could raise the money but what we must do if we are to build within the ground is get some corporate boxes! It doesn't matter if we don't raise our attendance by much as we struggle to fill it now, but to get in corporate boxes is the main objective as it is these that bring in the cash.

Thats because they took 30% off the capacity of the bottom tier. If the bottom tier were predominantly retained in seating terms then a boost of 6000 would give Everton around 3-6 million (depending on ticket prices) in extra revenue from league games alone.

That would nip the 6 million loss per season in the bud.

Would there not be an increased cost of running this bigger stand and increased facilities?

Thats because they took 30% off the capacity of the bottom tier. If the bottom tier were predominantly retained in seating terms then a boost of 6000 would give Everton around 3-6 million (depending on ticket prices) in extra revenue from league games alone.

That would nip the 6 million loss per season in the bud.

Very big IF.

But even IF we built an extra 6000 seats, you just know the majority of those would end up being season tickets because it's the best view in the ground and the most modern and well equipped stand. But let us just say for arguments sake that every single ticket sells for the maximum possible price.

The average price to sit in the Park End (even when you take into account the match categories for big games) is just over £37.

Now lets say all 6000 seats were sold for £37 every single game. That gives you a total figure of just over £4.2m. Even with a highly ambitious estimate you're nowhere near £6m per season from seat sales.

Why not stick a Newcastle United style stand behind the goal. A triple tier job.

I think Davek is right though. The board are just treading water until a buyer comes in for the club. They have the long term forward planning of a pissed first year under grad during freshers week.

Nah, that is shoite and nowhere good enough for Goodison. We need a big imposing stand useful enough for 30,000 angry Evertonians venting their spleens at the opposition. Make it happen Kenwrong.
Something like this would be ideal.
Suedtribuene.jpg

The park end could fit that in easily. Make it happen FFS.

someone correct me if i'm wrong here, the original planning permission was granted for a two tiered park end, that planning permission would theoretically still be valid?
i'm all for it, don't wanna leave Goodison

Very big IF.

But even IF we built an extra 6000 seats, you just know the majority of those would end up being season tickets because it's the best view in the ground and the most modern and well equipped stand. But let us just say for arguments sake that every single ticket sells for the maximum possible price.

The average price to sit in the Park End (even when you take into account the match categories for big games) is just over £37.

Now lets say all 6000 seats were sold for £37 every single game. That gives you a total figure of just over £4.2m. Even with a highly ambitious estimate you're nowhere near £6m per season from seat sales.

If you include an increase in corporate and hospitality seating you would be.

Does the sale of pies and pints etc bring in much revenue on a match day? Or would it only add a tiny amount onto extra ticket sales per game?

Does the sale of pies and pints etc bring in much revenue on a match day? Or would it only add a tiny amount onto extra ticket sales per game?

I think weve outsourced it all to sodexo so i dont think we make much apart from a set figure at the start of the season

We struggle to service the debt we already have. Putting another tier on the Park End will just increase our debt.
To fill any increased capacity or attract more corporate nobs we need a successful team - Catch 22.

We struggle to service the debt we already have. Putting another tier on the Park End will just increase our debt.
To fill any increased capacity or attract more corporate nobs we need a successful team - Catch 22.
Pretty sure it's been said before but sooner or later the ground issue is gonna need looking at in a big way. Chicken or the egg mate?

The solution to all Everton's problems is being bought by a billionnaire, we're in deep ****e.

Pretty sure it's been said before but sooner or later the ground issue is gonna need looking at in a big way. Chicken or the egg mate?

The ground will be fine for years and years and years to come. So long that it's crazy to even try and predict what could happen between then and now.

Status
Not open for further replies.