Pienaar in the middle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that Barkley will play there again against City. He's a better option at CDM than Pienaar or Osman.

Pienaar is done as a LW for us - Bobby doesn't ask his wide midfielders to cover for the fullbacks, McCarthy and Barry do that. Pienaar doesn't fit the blueprint for a wide midfielder in Bobby's system, so he's going to have to rotate at 10 or ship out.
tbh pienaar has never fit the winger profile. He always been a CAM player playing wide.

No, seen him try it before in a central role. Too small, shoved off the ball constantly. Does his best work in wide areas cutting in and finding the spaces between the left back, centre half and midfield.

People are writing him off too early too. He's a good squad option and was worth re-signing; when he's fit again it'll allow us to revert back to Lukaku up top, Pienaar left, Mirallas/Deulofeu right with McGeady the impact sub, but at least we now have a very viable Plan B with Naismith as a false nine with Lukaku playing the wide forward.

Backup for Barkley in the next season as AM, he is not a winger in Bobby's system. The question is what will happen with Naismith then. I think Naismith or Pienaar could be sold tbh, but I would like to keep both of them, they are good squad players at least.

Pienaar for me as someone that should come on for the last 20 minutes - he seems to be very slow at times and can make more of an impact coming on as a sub (eg like he did against Hull City).

Backup for Barkley in the next season as AM, he is not a winger in Bobby's system. The question is what will happen with Naismith then. I think Naismith or Pienaar could be sold tbh, but I would like to keep both of them, they are good squad players at least.

Naismith staking claims to be more than a squad player , can't leave him out at the minute as for the midfield debate what about Jon stones in a advanced role lad is so composed in the ball him and McCarthy infront of the back 4 #realoptions

I have a strong suspicion that Pienaar would, at the very least, be better in that holding midfielder role than Osman. Not that either is ideally suited for the role mind you.

I'm just thinking for the City game who is going to play alongside McCarthy. I would say Barkley, but that was a disaster against Palace.
I think it was only a disaster because McCarthy didn't get the start. It will suit Barkley better to have McCarthy next to him. My mids for City would be

McGeady Naismith Mirallas
Barkley McCarthy

No, seen him try it before in a central role. Too small, shoved off the ball constantly. Does his best work in wide areas cutting in and finding the spaces between the left back, centre half and midfield.

People are writing him off too early too. He's a good squad option and was worth re-signing; when he's fit again it'll allow us to revert back to Lukaku up top, Pienaar left, Mirallas/Deulofeu right with McGeady the impact sub, but at least we now have a very viable Plan B with Naismith as a false nine with Lukaku playing the wide forward.

This. All day long. This.

Here's Steven Pienaar in the 03-04 Ajax Team
1247512127.png

spot anyone you recognise ?

and also in the squad pic.....

2004.jpg

squad listed here http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/afc-ajax/historische-kader/verein_610_2003.html

Status
Not open for further replies.