Our academy vs the dark side´s one

Status
Not open for further replies.

argietoffee

Player Valuation: £20m
Saw an amazing stat today in the Guardian that the last graduate from dante sixths circle of hell to make it to the seventh grade was Mick Owen, the stout middle-aged horse breeder.

In that time, while we werent boxing toe to toe with those lot for much of it, I reckon we put out about 10 internationals.......
Ball
Dunne
Osman
Barkley
Jeffers
Rooney
Big Vic
Rodwell
McCann
Duffy

Never mind Tony Hibbert who made a lot of top flight appearences.

So based on this, when we go toe to toe with their scouting system for a young player to join the academy, are we winning more than we lose?

Finally with Roberto at the helm, I think this stat is going to get better and better.

Flanagan Alves?

And anyone who they ever sign was a big boyhood red so they will count that that as going through der ranks.

Including Balotelli. Oh hang on he's Italian isnt he? Chelsea youth then.

Reactions: FTY
Flanagan Alves?

And anyone who they ever sign was a big boyhood red so they will count that that as going through der ranks.

Including Balotelli. Oh hang on he's Italian isnt he? Chelsea youth then.

Had a few shouts of "well in Jonjo ynwa" after Swansea beat the mancs on facebook.

I swear, they'd say "well in Hitler ynwa" if he scored against the mancs for Chelsea.

We're the bitter ones though.

Bet jonjo felt like he'd never walk alone when they were all saying he was crap.

There was a time when their academy was an impressive conveyor belt of talent (particularly strikers) but it's fair to say it's slowed in recent years. We have been pretty steady with our homegrown lids and I'm hopeful that it continues apace with Martinez' focus on der yewf.

Had a few shouts of "well in Jonjo ynwa" after Swansea beat the mancs on facebook.

I swear, they'd say "well in Hitler ynwa" if he scored against the mancs for Chelsea.

We're the bitter ones though.

Bet jonjo felt like he'd never walk alone when they were all saying he was crap.

nost.jpg

Saints are probably the only team whose academy is better than ours in England....

Liverpools is probably somewhere near the bottom of that list these days.... I have a bet with a friend that Rossiter (their best academy prospect by all accounts) will get nowhere near the first team within 2 years and I feel very confident about winning that, I would not however make that bet with Ledson (who is probably our academies best prospect)

Southampton have had a class of '92 thing happen but where's the next batch if their academy is so good? And also, Lallana is 26, Chambers hasn't played for England yet so the notion their academy is better than ours is nonsense. Surely Spurs deserve some credit for Bale btw, as do Arsenal for Ox and Walcott. Before Walcott, who even knew Southampton had an academy?

As for Ryan Ledson, he is the next Barkley in the making talent wise, make no mistake. I would bet with any red Ledson will play for England long before any lad they have coming through will even start a game for Liverpool's first team (in the league). I'd recommend any blue put their mortgage on this happening

Last edited:
Saw an amazing stat today in the Guardian that the last graduate from dante sixths circle of hell to make it to the seventh grade was Mick Owen, the stout middle-aged horse breeder.

In that time, while we werent boxing toe to toe with those lot for much of it, I reckon we put out about 10 internationals.......
Ball
Dunne
Osman
Barkley
Jeffers
Rooney
Big Vic
Rodwell
McCann
Duffy

Never mind Tony Hibbert who made a lot of top flight appearences.

So based on this, when we go toe to toe with their scouting system for a young player to join the academy, are we winning more than we lose?

Finally with Roberto at the helm, I think this stat is going to get better and better.

Lets not get too cocky though. Take Rooney and Barkley out of that list and the others gained one or two England caps. They weren't exactly mainstays of the national team. So in 10 years we've produced two players that have/will become regular England players. Whilst it's better than that lot, it isn't exactly La Masia, is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.