Mirror Football's coverage of Everton - a conversation with a top Mirror journo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thing is that Trinity Mirror own the Echo (and have had a few people from this end rise up through their ranks) and as a consequence of the anti-Sun sentiment in this part of the world the Mirror is very strongly supported here, along with the fact it's the most left-leaning mainstream tabloid and Liverpool/Merseyside is synonymous with left voting, I just can't understand their anti-Everton stance. I understand they pander to Liverpool and have a fair few Liverpool supporting journos, which is fair enough, but Liverpool fans, while they do revel in our misery to a point, care far more about positivity of their own club so the need to also be so anti-Everton is unnecessary, especially to the extent they go.

I would understand if it was a Mail, Express or the Star, again given the right leaning nature of those papers and the fact Liverpool FC are too much of a supported brand throughout the country to attack, we'd be the easier target if it was about the general intention and old school ties to areas.

The only thing I can think of is the Mirror do genuinely have a poor relationship with the club, for whatever reason, and their constant putting down of us is a way of trying to forge more connections within the club.

As to whether we're paranoid about this Mirror not giving us fair representation and seeing everything through blue tinted specs, I've had a fair few lads in work, Leeds/Norwich/Leicester/Man U/Liverpool fans all rip in to me about the Mirror specifically selling our players and writing us down without me every mentioning it or planting the seed. So it is also something fans of other clubs who keep an eye out for Everton news have noted.

The anti everton stance is tied in to the pro liverpool don't you think? One equals the other. Sum of readers non Everton out weighs sum of readers pro Everton. If I were journo you would have to prise pro liverpool comments from my dead hand!!! If the whole journo group is generally leaning towards one team or another everyone just goes with flow.

The anti everton stance is tied in to the pro liverpool don't you think? One equals the other. Sum of readers non Everton out weighs sum of readers pro Everton. If I were journo you would have to prise pro liverpool comments from my dead hand!!! If the whole journo group is generally leaning towards one team or another everyone just goes with flow.

For the entirety of last season, they actually had a journo, and I use that term loosely, writing a feature/column every Wednesday dedicated to Liverpool. I kid you not. I've linked it on here in the past, but can't find a link now.

EDIT: I'm not talking about ming Kenny either.

But that's the thing, while I don't disagree Liverpool fans enjoy anti-Everton stories, I don't think positive stories about us would put them off the paper, as long as more positive things were being written about them (like the Echo now for example). If you argue Merseyside is one of the Mirror's strongholds compared to other regions, where's the sense in unnecessarily annoying 50% of the support with your back pages?

I think whatever the issue is, it's with the club, rather than just trying to score extra points with LFC fans. While that's probably an extra perk, I don't buy that's the main reason. I mean, you only have to look at the disdain their non-north west correspondents, e.g. John Cross, talk us down too, which has me thinking it's more an issue with us as a club, rather than an issue with who our rivals are.

I must admit I thought Id become immune to the ramblings of certain journalists towards us over the years. Lipton is one of the biggest irritants going and some may say no change there then. However today he has managed to transform Everton's coup in signing Romelu Lukaku, one of the most audacious and THE most expensive of Everton signings, into an anti-Lukaku agenda over two pages as has been mentioned on here...ROTTEN LUK backpage headline..........."Writing was on the wall for Lukaku...no way back after penalty miss...Mourinho not the first Chelsea boss to question his motivation and ability...et etc . Then adjacent to the inside page article, theres the David Maddock article above which although fair and centred primarily on Everton's spending still has the sub headline..."Thanks to bumper tv deals, even the so-called 'smaller' clubs can now splash cash.
If you think Martin Lipton sounds a moron from what people have posted from twitter on here though, enjoy this from Chelsea TV where hes made to look like one too.

I must admit I thought Id become immune to the ramblings of certain journalists towards us over the years. Lipton is one of the biggest irritants going and some may say no change there then. However today he has managed to transform Everton's coup in signing Romelu Lukaku, one of the most audacious and THE most expensive of Everton signings, into an anti-Lukaku agenda over two pages as has been mentioned on here...ROTTEN LUK backpage headline..........."Writing was on the wall for Lukaku...no way back after penalty miss...Mourinho not the first Chelsea boss to question his motivation and ability...et etc . Then adjacent to the inside page article, theres the David Maddock article above which although fair and centred primarily on Everton's spending still has the sub headline..."Thanks to bumper tv deals, even the so-called 'smaller' clubs can now splash cash.
If you think Martin Lipton sounds a moron from what people have posted from twitter on here though, enjoy this from Chelsea TV where hes made to look like one too.

Hahaha. RATTLED!!!

EDIT: Lipton in that vid, I mean ;)

I've never been a fan of Stubbs, I understand that he's a blue, but he always seemed to rattle a few cages, and try and basically use everton as his leverage pole, so to speak, if he could get more attention, and a better job off the back of him telling 'stories', he'd have no qualms. You don't see Ferguson, Cahill etc.. who the fans loved, who claim to love the club doing it, so why does he?

tool.

They took Mourinho's comments out of context really. From what I heard watching Mourinho's presser he said Romelu wasn't motivated to be 3rd or 4th choice. Which is a shock to some people! I dont blame him, because its quite common for Chelsea to let players rot on the bench ie Shevchenko, Claudio Pizzaro, Marko Marin, Yuri Zhirkov, Paulo Fiererra.

Status
Not open for further replies.