Mirror Football's coverage of Everton - a conversation with a top Mirror journo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mirrorfootball are claiming Christian astu is going to Sunderland,

which means he will be coming to Everton.
Well we will just have to wait and see how right Lipton gets that one. He also says the deal is just Shy of £25 M + add ons taking it to £28 M

Tbf to Lipton he was actually right about the 30m price tag and there probably was some late stubbornness on the part of Chelski about us paying it
No he wasn't. We'd have to get into the CL for them to get the full fee. The guaranteed fee is a chunk less than £28m

In Lipton's case as like all hacks, throw enough brown stuff around and at some point some of it has to stick!

Last edited:
If you believe anything in the papers, you deserve what you get! This just illustrates it!

It's all good having a pop now, but how many of us have been glued to the tranfer thread all summer and creaming ourselves over the very bogey links we're now hypocritically having a pop at!

This post was brought to you by the letters: I R N and E!

If you believe anything in the papers, you deserve what you get! This just illustrates it!

It's all good having a pop now, but how many of us have been glued to the tranfer thread all summer and creaming ourselves over the very bogey links we're now hypocritically having a pop at!

This post was brought to you by the letters: I R N and E!
Past experience's have taught me never believe it till you see them holding a shirt up at a press conference or walking on the pitch at half time:cheers:

I don't need to boycott any paper - everyone already does anyway.

I genuinely don't know anyone who actually buys one anymore.

Enjoy the scrap heap when your dying media finally dies the death it deserves.

Is right; in many places around the world, print is a deadman walking, the Brit trash just haven't twigged it yet. Their golden rivers of money are going, going. go...
When was the last time you looked for a Job, Motor, House or other to buy an other item in the newspaper

Having now seen the back of the newspaper I actually find it deeply offensive.

Last night was the biggest statement made by my club in the Premier League era, and that rag has a headline 'rotten luk'. Pathetic.

I would advice anyone with any love for Everton, or indeed the game in general who is fed up with the money clubs having all their own way to boycott this newspaper.

I haven't purchased a newspaper since the Mirror printed the hoax Iraq abuse pictures in '04. Anyway, that's a pathetic back page by a horrible rag.

Well you know what they say about newspapers.....
Yesterdays news is todays chip wrappers.
If only that were still true would have something to read after I've finished me fish n' chip supper tonight!!

I find this sort of stuff interesting. I am a journo over here in Australia and cover AFL (our elite football competition). It's amazing the difference between the media there and here.

Very few journos put their heads on the line and write about rumours when it comes to player movement. Generally when these sorts of stories pop up it is almost 80-90% likely to happen.

This may change in the coming seasons as free agency is just in its infancy over here, but the Australian public is very quick to shoot down any journo that parades information as "true".

Thing is that Trinity Mirror own the Echo (and have had a few people from this end rise up through their ranks) and as a consequence of the anti-Sun sentiment in this part of the world the Mirror is very strongly supported here, along with the fact it's the most left-leaning mainstream tabloid and Liverpool/Merseyside is synonymous with left voting, I just can't understand their anti-Everton stance. I understand they pander to Liverpool and have a fair few Liverpool supporting journos, which is fair enough, but Liverpool fans, while they do revel in our misery to a point, care far more about positivity of their own club so the need to also be so anti-Everton is unnecessary, especially to the extent they go.

I would understand if it was a Mail, Express or the Star, again given the right leaning nature of those papers and the fact Liverpool FC are too much of a supported brand throughout the country to attack, we'd be the easier target if it was about the general intention and old school ties to areas.

The only thing I can think of is the Mirror do genuinely have a poor relationship with the club, for whatever reason, and their constant putting down of us is a way of trying to forge more connections within the club.

As to whether we're paranoid about this Mirror not giving us fair representation and seeing everything through blue tinted specs, I've had a fair few lads in work, Leeds/Norwich/Leicester/Man U/Liverpool fans all rip in to me about the Mirror specifically selling our players and writing us down without me every mentioning it or planting the seed. So it is also something fans of other clubs who keep an eye out for Everton news have noted.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.