Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree we've not been good enough but Martinez tactics and team selections don't seem good enough either. The Spurs game for one were we had Barkley and Eto'o wondering aimlessly springs to mind instantly. If their not doing what he's asked of them they should get the hook but if he's happy to watch that sort of thing it's concerning.

I haven't seen today's game but it sounds similar, his mojo is missing and the players are feeling it to. We need a spark and rehashing formations that haven't worked isn't going to provided that.

You cant just drop 2 of ur best players mate, not Both them. Even the keeper has let the boss down too much....its not like we are in a position to drop 5 or 6 players.

Its frustrating, and yes things could be done different, but its all good and well saying that now. Hardly anyone suggested all these changes before the games....

The strongest aspects of our squad are as follows: top class attacking full backs; Barkley's drive in the middle of the park; Lukaku's ability to latch onto through balls and score. Add to that the fairly well organised defence over the past few years. Martinez has found a system that manages to eliminate each of these things.

17 games in the league and we've been a varying degree of poor in pretty much all of them. The front four today - and on many other occasions this season - show no coherence and don't appear to be getting very much direction. Movement is poor, players are attempting to do too much on the ball, and there's a weird reluctance to go wide - the latter a real issue as we don't seem to have the finesse to open up a decent defence. It's the opposite of thoughtful, intelligent football.

I still think Martinez can get things right, but he needs to get his head together soon. The starting eleven today was never going to work - he's tried it before and it's perfectly clear to everyone it's not a forward line that compliment each other. Mind-numbingly frustrating that he refused to change it, almost perverse.

Agree team selections have been too much at times, but that team he put out should be enough to win that game, eto was poor, his touch was off, barry was bad, distin was terrible, yes he picked them, but they let the boss down.
You seem to be releasing Martinez from any blame

Walter played players out of position,so did moyes and I don't remember those fellas being free from blame

Teams now sit and let us have the ball and hit us fast on the break,we move the ball so slowly it's painful,the tactics stink and that's all Roberto's

Mate we have played all 5 of those teams only only beat one of them, three of the games at home, shows how bad we are.

Very True! That is dreadful isn't it. We can improve though, not sure they can.

We will finish mid table, but that's still awful. It wouldn't surprise me if something has happened behind the scenes, we are unrecognisable from last season

You cant just drop 2 of ur best players mate, not Both them. Even the keeper has let the boss down too much....its not like we are in a position to drop 5 or 6 players.

Its frustrating, and yes things could be done different, but its all good and well saying that now. Hardly anyone suggested all these changes before the games....

No I agree, I'm saying why make the changes he made today from the game on Monday when he's got closer like for like changes. I'm not even bothered so much about the personal he picked it's more the system he choose, putting square pegs in round holes.

But when it's obviously not working and you've got options to change it why not do it? Seens very strange unless our bench was full of half fit players who only just made it?

No I agree, I'm saying why make the changes he made today from the game on Monday when he's got closer like for like changes. I'm not even bothered so much about the personal he picked it's more the system he choose, putting square pegs in round holes.

But when it's obviously not working and you've got options to change it why not do it? Seens very strange unless our bench was full of half fit players who only just made it?
I think he defined himself today, with a reasonably full squad other than JMac and Kev

You seem to be releasing Martinez from any blame

Walter played players out of position,so did moyes and I don't remember those fellas being free from blame

Teams now sit and let us have the ball and hit us fast on the break,we move the ball so slowly it's painful,the tactics stink and that's all Roberto's

Im giving him the benefit of the doubt mate, i think he deserves that.

@davek i like you but i'm finding this 'loyalty' stance youre trying to portray and pissing myself laughing at the hypocrisy of it.

This is coming from the guy who was fervently demanding moyes leave for about four years.

i don't want martinez gone, and i'll still give him a chance if we are way, way away from relegation zone in a few weeks. But if we're not i don't mind us binning him off for the benefit of the club.

I think he did get a lot of luck last season and it luckily 'clicked' because it was new and different for what we had been playing for 11 years.

But he doesn't know how to improve that, which was a moyes weakness.

He's too scared to drop players, his tactics a toddler could defend against.

If any other manager bought one of the worlds best young strikers, for a club record fee and then absolutely refused to play to his strengths, they'd be absolutely laughed at.

i don't think he's tactically all that.

That's not true. I wasn't calling for his head at ANY point other than the end when he was dragging out his contract. I wanted him to grow a pair and demand cash from the board. He was a dullard manager though and so i wasn't arsed that he left. Did a job for us but was limited.

That's it really on Moyes. So no contradiction from me on that score.

Look, let's guve Martinez more than a few months to prove he cant push on shall we? It's appalling the level of entitlement on here:

"Booo hooo, he's not pushed on from the record points total of last season; booo-hooo we're not in a Champions League place; booo-hooo he bought a player that hasn't worked out"

FFS, I'm gonna use the K-word: it's Kopite behaviour.

I think he defined himself today, with a reasonably full squad other than JMac and Kev

I think it's maybe due to the fact we've also got a lot of players coming back from injury like Stones, Kone etc etc

We've not had a settled run and at times they've been dropping like flies and I think he's learnt his lesson from not putting half fit players straight back in.

But today with the game gone I think a competitive run out for Kone, Pienaar and Stones wouldn't have made things any worse, seems a strange choice not to give them some time.

Also I think you've slightly underestimated how important both Mirallas and especially McCarthy can be between us playing well and not playing well.

I think you answered your own question mate.

I dont have the answers, but i blame the players, and side with giving the manager the benefit of the doubt. He has earned thta, with giving me the best and most proud season in over a decade .

Status
Not open for further replies.