Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice try at deflection but you still can't refute the point that if your hero made Everton hard to beat (most of the time) he could never make it easy for us to win.

But he did win... loads.
Martinez is my hero now mate, I just back Moyes against your weird mindset that he dragged us down to european places from the dizzy height of relegation battles.

Fair enough. But if his career was defined by big budget buys rather than his hidden gems, I don't think people would call him a market genius.

They weren't terrible buys (other than Bily...who was awful), but they also weren't exactly brilliant business.
Fellaini was outstanding business. He was boss for us for a number of years. Don't care how he's doing at the mancs.

Yak was a good buy. Something went horribly wrong there though...

Johnson was good business, in the sense that Moyes got rid of him at exactly the right time. What's he done since he left? He was good for us in his first eason and good bak up in his second season after we'd bought Yak.

Think it's early days yet. If given time, Moyes will put a great squad together at United.
I agree but not sure he will get the time before the axe is swung, any club like spurs he would have been out long before now.

Moyes has an excellent record in the transfer market but he is very deliberate (or dithering) - he needs lots of data and repeated viewings to decide. It was not exactly a secret either, there have been chapters of books written about it! I've no idea why United didn't just offer Kenwright a handful of cash to buy out Moyes's contract when Fergie decided he would retire or at least buy out the last few weeks after the season ended. Could have had at least 6 extra weeks of settling up his scouting databases and looking at the United team in training.

Classic case of penny wise, pound foolish, it's cost them CL (40m+) this year.

Fair enough. But if his career was defined by big budget buys rather than his hidden gems, I don't think people would call him a market genius.

They weren't terrible buys (other than Bily...who was awful), but they also weren't exactly brilliant business.

They also weren't big budget either.

They also weren't big budget either.
True. That I'll grant.

Big to us.
Fellaini was outstanding business. He was boss for us for a number of years. Don't care how he's doing at the mancs.
Fellaini was definitely the best of the bunch. Fit Moyes' style very well, and then did us a favor by buying him off of for loads at the right time. I liked Fellaini.

I guess Bily just hurts me still...he was...not good.

You can't conclude after a mere 9 month tenure that Martinez is somehow definitively 'better' than Moyes. That's not a sensible timeframe by which to make a meaningful comparison, given that the previous manager was in the hot seat for 11 years. So it's a ridiculous conversation that will be nothing more than subjective opinion based on long held opinions, as opposed to meaningful comparable facts.

Martinez performance has nothing to with Moyes tenure anyway, that's ended. Martinez is now the main man and he should be judged solely on what he does with what he has available to him. He's won most of us over I think, he's positive, charismatic, got us playing some decent football and results have been largely good.

However, he should never be excused from any form of criticism though, and I've noticed that anyone who dares to say anything that could be construed as even vaguely disparaging, is rounded on with "better than Moyes" type comments, which are facile tbh.

I guess Bily just hurts me still...he was...not good.

Those two corners from his debut fooling everyone into thinking he was quality didn't help either.
Shame about his lack of pace and stamina.. and ability, strength, guile, speed of thought, skill, first touch, second touch, willingness to track back....
....headering ability, tackling, reading of the game..

Great shot on him though.

Those two corners from his debut fooling everyone into thinking he was quality didn't help either.
Shame about his lack of pace and stamina.. and ability, strength, guile, speed of thought, skill, first touch, second touch, willingness to track back....
....headering ability, tackling, reading of the game..

Great shot on him though.

Haha, don't you know though, Moyes should have played him in the centre :p

However, he should never be excused from any form of criticism though, and I've noticed that anyone who dares to say anything that could be construed as even vaguely disparaging, is rounded on with "better than Moyes" type comments, which are facile tbh.

The fact we still talk about Moyes is a bit...weird. He was our manager, now he's not. Let's judge Roberto on our current expectations and how he compares to them. I'd say pretty well, I know at the beginning of the season lots of people said top half and a cup run would do for his first season. We should get top half, and our cup run unfortunately hit Arsenal at the Emirates (and tbf, cups contain a fair amount of luck).

Martinez has made some missteps I think. I feel like he sticks with Osman as the starter too often, and I think Ossie is better off the bench. I really wish we'd brought some center mid support in January, because Barry is beginning to look rough. I refuse to have a go at him over Traore, because he injured his other hamstring, that's unlucky. Robles in the cup is questionable, but I support the decision to give a kid a chance to get big game time. Alcaraz looks like a poor decision, but he was pretty cheap. Kone...well you don't get good strikers for under 10 million unless you get lucky on an unknown (Jelavic went for 6-7!).

I am concerned by the number of hamstring injuries we've suffered...I hope that doesn't become a theme, because we don't have the money for a squad to cope with lots of players out for a month at a time.

I agree, maybe in 11 years we can start the "compared with Moyes" shouts.

Martinez should be judged in his tenure alone, at least for the next 5 years.

As ive said, he did everything perfect in 2013, he won the games we expected, won some games not expected, few niggling draws, but not many defeats, also some outstanding work in the transfer market, granted mostly in the loan market, but still, bulked the squad up in the right places and brought in some quality, not to mention giving Barkley a platform to shine.

Sadly I feel his inaction in 2014 has cost us big time, he didnt react to 2 long injuries to 2 very important players squad wise, he didnt react to selling a squad player in the form of Jelavic correctly, granted the signing of TreeA was a gamble, that sadly didnt work out, also to be fair we lost 4 very difficult games, but games in which the margins were so small that im pretty sure the correct signings in the Jan window MIGHT have made a difference, the derby apart, where we just got utterly destroyed, I personally dont even put that defeat on him, yes he played a very high line and we got punished, but we simply got destroyed and it does happen.

So from that point of view he gets an A+ for 2013 and as it stands, hes looking at around an F for 2014, but its not over yet, we still have a chance to get a Europa place, which I feel should have been a secondary goal prior to the season. CL and a shiny cup should have been the main goals, but if we can get a Europa it will at least show progress.

If we finish 7th I wont be calling for his head, but I will feel a little cheated with the lack of Jan action, but im willing to see what we do next season, mainly I will be watching the Summer transfer window like a hawk.

"Just imagine what Moyes could do if he had money". Yeah, he could spend £62 million and take the champions to 7th place :D

I do hope Roberto is half as good at the bargains (and better at the big buys).

I've said it before in this thread, thats my biggest worry over Martinez.

Thus far he's bought in loans which were pretty much no brainers for a club in our financial situation (so not really proof of spotting a quality player for cheap), freebies and cheapo's who have been ok, and £19 million on 2 players. One of whom looks pretty good and should prove to be value for money over the next few years and one who won't.

But even then, £19 million on 2 players for us is huge and he probably needed to have done better with it.

Thus far he's managed to do slightly better than Moyes with the majority of Moyes squad plus those additions, the real test is when he has to replace that squad he inherited whilst selling players and having a negative net spend.

Maybe he will be successful at it, maybe he won't but its too early to tell yet, this Summer should give us a better indication.

Its a fair point on the 19m.

As you say McCarthy will no doubt prove to be worth every penny over the years, but as for Kone, its "similar" to Moyes purchase of Distin, an aging player bought for real money, Distin has been more than worth every penny and we have defo got value for money, whether Kone will is quite doubtful.

I wasnt comparing Moyes and Martinez there, I couldnt think of another example of a club spending 5m on a 30+ player, im happy for other players to be used to compare if anybody can give me 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.