Luke Garbutt

Try to keep him, or let him leave ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
FC Bayern did exactly that thing with even better player. Now Lahm is one of the best players in the world while playing another position. They even did a similar thing with Alaba. Why not Bainesy, when our gaffer already mentioned it?

Because Baines isn't Lahm, and we aren't Bayern, we don't have that depth of world class quality.

Ok then we need to start playing Oviedo or Garbutt on another position. Otherwise no way we can give both BO and LG enough game time.

Maybe, maybe not. If players aren't happy with their game time, and we need cover elsewhere, then players may leave the club. The manager runs Everton not the players like.

Have him in the team for his corners alone!!!2 perfect corners, great pace and height on them. Bainsey get out on the training pitch witrh the lad and get soem pointers.

Because Baines isn't Lahm, and we aren't Bayern, we don't have that depth of world class quality.

not that i want baines moved to midfield or anything but that comment makes no sense. a team with more world class talent would have less need to move their players about.

not that i want baines moved to midfield or anything but that comment makes no sense. a team with more world class talent would have less need to move their players about.

Err no, a team with world class talent can have the luxury of moving players about and trying things out, we don't have a left back as good as Baines, Bayern clearly had the depth to move him.

Such a pointless debate this really, who in their right mind wants to move Leighton?

Err no, a team with world class talent can have the luxury of moving players about and trying things out, we don't have a left back as good as Baines, Bayern clearly had the depth to move him.

Such a pointless debate this really, who in their right mind wants to move Leighton?

"I've always thought Leighton can develop into Philipp Lahm's role, it is in his make-up," the Everton manager said. "Not this season but in seasons to come he is someone who can play in that central role. I wanted him to watch Philipp Lahm in a live game because when it's on TV you only see the player when he's on the ball. It was good for Leighton to watch a player I feel he can be as good as or even better.

"Like Lahm, Leighton doesn't give the ball away, he's got a very low centre of gravity and technically he is as good as it gets. When you have that control of the ball and have been such a good defender, and as a left-back you have to be very good on one-v-one situations, it is very important to have that defensive mindset in those midfield areas. That is important for defensive balance. As a player Leighton has been through so many different experiences and has always found a way to rise to new challenges in his career. I am convinced he can step up to a new challenge. You need to look at the physicality and he is a naturally fit boy so can easily go into the role. He can be more expansive in central midfield than in his left back role. That's why I wanted him to see it first hand."

Martínez admitted Baines had no say in his extracurricular activity on Tuesday – "He was told he was going to the game and that was it," he said – and has used the exercise before. "I took the whole Swansea team to watch Barcelona a couple of times in 2007, one was against Celtic in the Champions League," he added. "It was very powerful in terms of understanding what we were trying to do. I'm not saying that was how we were going to play but, in terms of specific aspects of a game, when you see it live it is very powerful. It was the season we won the League One title. The specific aspect was how they kept possession. It helped the penny drop."

Such a pointless debate this really, who in their right mind wants to move Leighton?[/QUO

Its not a simple as that though, its about using the squad to get the best combinations.
Hypothetically, if you have 2 world class players in one position, and utter dross in another position, it sometimes makes sense to try one of the class players out of position. Especially as the skills needed between positions are tangible.
At the end of the day, Baines is a technically gifted, intelligent footballer who would probably play CDM as well as anyone in our squad.

The Lahm to CDM move by Bayern is weird IMO. They have Alonso now, and with Schweinsteiger already there, there wasn't much need to move Lahm there, especially seeing as that Rafinha at RB is utter gash and looks out of place in that Bayern side.

"I've always thought Leighton can develop into Philipp Lahm's role, it is in his make-up," the Everton manager said. "Not this season but in seasons to come he is someone who can play in that central role. I wanted him to watch Philipp Lahm in a live game because when it's on TV you only see the player when he's on the ball. It was good for Leighton to watch a player I feel he can be as good as or even better.

"Like Lahm, Leighton doesn't give the ball away, he's got a very low centre of gravity and technically he is as good as it gets. When you have that control of the ball and have been such a good defender, and as a left-back you have to be very good on one-v-one situations, it is very important to have that defensive mindset in those midfield areas. That is important for defensive balance. As a player Leighton has been through so many different experiences and has always found a way to rise to new challenges in his career. I am convinced he can step up to a new challenge. You need to look at the physicality and he is a naturally fit boy so can easily go into the role. He can be more expansive in central midfield than in his left back role. That's why I wanted him to see it first hand."

Martínez admitted Baines had no say in his extracurricular activity on Tuesday – "He was told he was going to the game and that was it," he said – and has used the exercise before. "I took the whole Swansea team to watch Barcelona a couple of times in 2007, one was against Celtic in the Champions League," he added. "It was very powerful in terms of understanding what we were trying to do. I'm not saying that was how we were going to play but, in terms of specific aspects of a game, when you see it live it is very powerful. It was the season we won the League One title. The specific aspect was how they kept possession. It helped the penny drop."

Martinez also said that Titus Bramble deserved an England call up whilst he was manager of Wigan.

Back to Luke .... I thought his positional play was very, very good - he managed to get into all the right places to get a head or a toe on a cross. He also looked calm and composed on the ball, but was to prepared to cover a lot of grass. Seems to read the game well and have a good footballing brain. More so than many current England footballers. Unlucky for him that he's behind one very special player in the left back slot. Lucky that he can learn from the best in the business and has years ahead of him.

Ok then we need to start playing Oviedo or Garbutt on another position. Otherwise no way we can give both BO and LG enough game time.

.....square pegs in round holes is a risk. You can't have too many good players and RM will be delighted he has tough choices to make and strength in depth. Bottom line is that there are only 11 players in a team. A strong bench is a reflection of how far we've come, those on the fringe will get an opportunity, it's up to them to grab that chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.