Leon Osman

Useful squad player ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
My motm last night.

Never stopped all game, confused me with his positions alot, but tireless, put in ALOT of great challenges and worked hard all game. Capped it off with a goal and his celebrations after the match with our fans was boss!

All the players were clapping and he was going wild!

Steady on lads. Ossie had a very good game but I remember Bilyaletdinov and Jo having good games.

He's had far more games in the past 2 seasons where he's stunk the place out than games like last night.

My motm last night.

Never stopped all game, confused me with his positions alot, but tireless, put in ALOT of great challenges and worked hard all game. Capped it off with a goal and his celebrations after the match with our fans was boss!

All the players were clapping and he was going wild!

That's because he's one of US mate. It's quite embarrassing the abuse he gets on here.

It's really, really simple.

As a CM he is no good. As a week in, week out starter he is also not good.

HOWEVER:

As an attacking midfielder, rotated regularly so that he doesn't run out of gas halfway through the season, he's boss.

Steady on lads. Ossie had a very good game but I remember Bilyaletdinov and Jo having good games.

He's had far more games in the past 2 seasons where he's stunk the place out than games like last night.

Nah, my opinion is that if Ossie is not one of our better players, then he gets singled out as having "stunk the place out"

He's a footballers footballer. So much of his work goes unnoticed. If he collects the ball in a deep position, makes a quick turn and moves the ball on, nobody says a word. Somebody else does that in or around the penalty area and it's "ooooh, great play."

Nah, my opinion is that if Ossie is not one of our better players, then he gets singled out as having "stunk the place out"

He's a footballers footballer. So much of his work goes unnoticed. If he collects the ball in a deep position, makes a quick turn and moves the ball on, nobody says a word. Somebody else does that in or around the penalty area and it's "ooooh, great play."

I was a champion of Osman a few seasons ago. I was crying for him to be played ahead of Cahill behind the striker. I know full well what Osman does well. The vaults will show this.

But through his own poor form I've changed my mind completely. He is still a great squad player to have but there are so many games where he is outmuscled and crowded out, and even games where he becomes a huge liability (I'll trot out that 'most dribbled past player in the league' stat again). There seems to be a contrived binary polarisation of Osman -- he must be either completely gash or the hidden gem in our team. I think he's neither; he's a player with a lot of flaws but also some good strengths, that we need to use appropriately.

I was a champion of Osman a few seasons ago. I was crying for him to be played ahead of Cahill behind the striker. I know full well what Osman does well. The vaults will show this.

But through his own poor form I've changed my mind completely. He is still a great squad player to have but there are so many games where he is outmuscled and crowded out, and even games where he becomes a huge liability (I'll trot out that 'most dribbled past player in the league' stat again). There seems to be a contrived binary polarisation of Osman -- he must be either completely gash or the hidden gem in our team. I think he's neither; he's a player with a lot of flaws but also some good strengths, that we need to use appropriately.

Agree to an extent. In that playing him in a deep role alongside Neville last season was not a good idea. But Leon Osman has many fantastic attributes. One of those attributes was not being Phil Neville's 'legs' though.

Agree to an extent. In that playing him in a deep role alongside Neville last season was not a good idea. But Leon Osman has many fantastic attributes. One of those attributes was not being Phil Neville's 'legs' though.

Gah, don't remind me. I forgot what a Phil Neville was.

391 games for a team that has only once finished outside the top half of one of the best leagues in the world.

You're right mate, he's clearly awful. Might as well get a Sunday League player in.

Was Phil Neville a good player mate

Not as technically good as Ossie, but before his legs went, he was good in a certain capacity. He was certainly a decent right back for a good few years.

Must have been a great player though

263 app for Utd
242 for Everton

Utd hardly finish outside the top 3 so Neville must have been one outstanding player

263 app for Utd
242 for Everton

Utd hardly finish outside the top 3 so Neville must have been one outstanding player
Neville was a quality full back, hence his appearances for United and England, he was also a great captain for us.
None of which has jack to do with Osman.

263 app for Utd
242 for Everton

Not sure how that means, he was an "awful" player. You're using my argument to defend Osman being accused of being awful, by turning it around and saying Neville must have been great then....

Laughable.

Status
Not open for further replies.