Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also mate, i dont want to sound confrontational, but I totally disagree with this. Evra is well and truly spent as a force. It would take 10 games and Baines would be their number one Left Back.

Moyes spent £27m on Fellaini and has recently chosen to play such world class superstars as Cleverly and Anderson ahead of him.

Wouldn't say he's the weakest by any stretch. Could have been lack of options but agree that his delivery was off. Under Martinez he will learn to come back if it isn't on though and that will help his game hopefully.

His games's pretty "improved" already mate. He's 29 in December, like. He's been the finished article for quite some time. He was instructed to go forward as much as possible because England needed the win. Him being up there got us the break-through.

I think he's well aware of when he needs to be forward/back. Did you not see him on Hazard against Chelsea?

Or rather, did you see much of Hazard against Everton?

Imagine how homesick Leighton will get holed up in Rio for three weeks or more.

(i've just read that back......oh dear....) lol

Unfortunately, that kind of sh*t is why the relationship between the media and football is as bland, boring and pointless as could possibly be. If players, managers, in short everyone connected with the game in a professional capacity are open to having their thoughts and words scrutinised so aggressively then why ever say anything that might be used against you once an uproar starts? And by say anything that might cause an uproar, I pretty much mean say any opinion at all.

It's why I begrudingly respect Joey Barton. Yes, he's a nauseating self-important bellend but at least he gives an actual opinion on something when asked. See what kind of nutcase it takes to have an opinion and be proud of it in football? If his reputation wasn't atrocious to begin with the media would be having a field day ripping him a new one for his outspokenness.

And you have down-to-Earth heart-of-gold Bainesy giving an honest answer most of us could relate to - I wouldn't like to spend 3, 4 weeks away (under Capello practically sequestered) from my family, friends and home. That grain of relateable truth was suddenly given this ridiculous amount of weight in Capello's decision to just boot him off last minute (the real reason was that Capello is a [Poor language removed]) and you had journos, pundits and esteemed members of this very forum lining up to have a pop. Bellends.

Last edited:

Play Leighton against the really top teams who have done their homework and England would be regularly hit on the counter. Poland showed this on numerous acassions, and a better team than Poland would turn fast counter attacks into goals. England were most vulnerable when England were taking a corner, or Baines was deep in the Polish half! Defensively, Cole might still be the best option against top teams, but Roy has to be aware that the point in Coles career when he starts to drift way beyond his peak is very close. Baines will get game time in Brazil, either on form, tactically, or because Cole fades quickly.

Last edited:

Play Leighton against the really top teams who have done their homework and England would be regularly hit on the counter. Poland showed this on numerous acassions, and a better team than Poland would turn fast counter attacks into goals. England were most vulnerable when England were taking a corner, or Baines was deep in the Polish half! Defensively, Cole might still be the best option against top teams, but Roy has to be aware that the point in Coles career when he starts to drift way beyond his peak is very close. Baines will get game time in Brazil, either on form, tactically, or because Cole fades quickly.

Sounds like you are saying that England will be vunerable with Baines attacking prowess but wouldn't be with Coles lack of attacking prowess. Surely managers and players are aware that an attacking back needs to be covered when at an advanced position hence being less vunerable. I remember when Baines was playing his first few games for England and Gerrards positional ineptness had England in heaps of trouble when Baines was advanced. This has now been rectified to an extent now and we look more dangerous going forward than we have in recent times. Baines forward play against Poland also kept the right winger (who was classed as one of there most dangerous players pre-match) too busy to cause us too many problems. If need be we can plop Baines in his own half and ask him to stay there in case of counters but this takes away the strength of Baines attacking play leaving us more blunt going forward. Baines strength is going forward at the right time exploiting the space and providing crosses that Cole or any other England player are not as expert as.

They needn't be world class superstars to be better than Fellaini

So true. Why the hate for Cleverley? Didn't he just contribute towards a title winning campaign. He's not the flashiest player but he does the basics properly: tracking runners, creating space in midfield, playing through balls, being positionally correct, distracting attention away from better players like Carrick. Fellaini is all flash and none of these things which is why when he played DM for us we got ran through by sides like Leeds. One minute he's bringing a balld own well on his chest with a little flick off, the next he's let another man go from a corner to cost us the game (funny how no one likes to bring up how he got outjumped by Carrol for the semi-final winner)

The simple question is have we missed Fellaini; the answer is no. For the first time in a long time we have a midfield that moves the ball at pace, all know their positions, all have passing ranges, and can take people on - basically all the attributes good midfielders should have but Fellaini didn't.

Moyes spent £27m on Fellaini and has recently chosen to play such world class superstars as Cleverly and Anderson ahead of him.

........?

Sorry mate, I dont understand this point...

I think what your saying is that just because he has a better player, he may not choose to use him.

Which is fine, its a point - but what has that got to do with the fact that Evra is a an aged full back, Baines is the best full back in the league, and after 10 games or so any manager in the league/europe would pick LB over PE.

Its not as if Fellaini is that much better than Cleverly or Anderson at the job hes being asked to do by Moyes ie alongside Carrick as a box to box midfielder.

I may have got your point totally wrong though, I am rather tired today.

Status
Not open for further replies.