Leaking Goals

Status
Not open for further replies.
His comments show he's fully aware of the situation, you have good times and bad times in any professional capacity - it's how you react and manage the bad times that determines your strengths as a Manager which he's done enough times before.

Sure, but the thread was looking for reasons why we are leaking goals. The reasons are that we have lost 2 top defenders and not really replaced them when we had the chance to.

He dithered over Lescott believing that he would win, when it was obvious to everyone that he wouldn't.

He felt Lescott was ok to play, even though it was reported that he had a training ground snub from Lescott prior to the Arsenal game, and then admitted that he shouldn't have picked him.

If were looking for the root of the problem this season, then there it is.

Sure, but the thread was looking for reasons why we are leaking goals. The reasons are that we have lost 2 top defenders and not really replaced them when we had the chance to.

He dithered over Lescott believing that he would win, when it was obvious to everyone that he wouldn't.

He felt Lescott was ok to play, even though it was reported that he had a training ground snub from Lescott prior to the Arsenal game, and then admitted that he shouldn't have picked him.

If were looking for the root of the problem this season, then there it is.

Lescott is gone. How can anyone use that as an excuse? They're highly paid professionals, they shouldn't let one guy leaving get to them like that.

Should they?:oops:

Very subjective. The root of the problem this season is the extrordinairy injury list including most of our best/influencial players.

The Lescott scenario didn't help but only because it meant we were left with a massive hole in a previously settled defence due to the massive shithouse leaving when the season had started. And the subsequent late rush to buy players and replace him adequately.

But if Lescott is a 20m plus player then I'll eat my own arse. Moyes played a good game driving the figure up but it just seems things have conspired against us this year, its a shame.

Lescott is gone. How can anyone use that as an excuse? They're highly paid professionals, they shouldn't let one guy leaving get to them like that.

Should they?:oops:

Well we haven't replaced him, so yeah it's a good enough reason for me as to why we are conceding goals.

Who has been our best 2 defenders in the past 2 years? So that is why we are leaking goals. The players who turn out need to take responsibility for sure, but ultimately we haven't replaced the players on long term injuries and the one we sold.

Very subjective. The root of the problem this season is the extrordinairy injury list including most of our best/influencial players.

The Lescott scenario didn't help but only because it meant we were left with a massive hole in a previously settled defence due to the massive shithouse leaving when the season had started. And the subsequent late rush to buy players and replace him adequately.

But if Lescott is a 20m plus player then I'll eat my own arse. Moyes played a good game driving the figure up but it just seems things have conspired against us this year, its a shame.

He's not a 20m player, but he was good enough for Fabio Capello to pick him - so he is an International player, regardless of what we think of him due to sodding off at the wrong time.

But he still wasn't replaced, so losing 2 players who were your centre back partnership - and not replacing them is now showing at a ground near you.

Attacking wise I think we have been good, creating chances, passing it well when we have the ball. The problems are stemming from defence and the tactical inadequacies of players like Yobo and Hibbert who find it tough to pass to a player 5 yards away.

Well we haven't replaced him, so yeah it's a good enough reason for me as to why we are conceding goals.

Who has been our best 2 defenders in the past 2 years? So that is why we are leaking goals. The players who turn out need to take responsibility for sure, but ultimately we haven't replaced the players on long term injuries and the one we sold.

TBF, we did replace him, we got Distin.

I'll be frank, he's nowhere near as good, but you cant claim that we didn't replace him, because we did.

We really miss Jagielka at the moment though. He's a fabulous defender, and a leader at the back which we don't have at the moment.

And for me, Yobo's been atrocious. "Oh look, i'm in miles of space with several options around me. I know! I'll hoof it."

It pisses me right off.

TBF, we did replace him, we got Distin.

I'll be frank, he's nowhere near as good, but you cant claim that we didn't replace him, because we did.

We really miss Jagielka at the moment though. He's a fabulous defender, and a leader at the back which we don't have at the moment.

And for me, Yobo's been atrocious. "Oh look, i'm in miles of space with several options around me. I know! I'll hoof it."

It pisses me right off.

Exactly, no composure.

I remember when I was desperate for us to sign Yobo, but to be fair he's been average this season, very average.

"You can't hide the fact if you keep losing games you will be relegated," said Moyes. "You have to stop it and get in a position when that will happen.

"You want your players to play well, you want to show the work you are doing.

"There is a saying that after you do all your work in the week that, win or lose, it shouldn't really matter as a coach because if you have done your preparation well it is then down to the players."

"You can't hide the fact if you keep losing games you will be relegated," said Moyes. "You have to stop it and get in a position when that will happen.

"You want your players to play well, you want to show the work you are doing.

"There is a saying that after you do all your work in the week that, win or lose, it shouldn't really matter as a coach because if you have done your preparation well it is then down to the players."

That there really pisses me off, if that's not passing the buck I don't know what is. He has the power to change things during a game, he can tweak his tactics, move players from one side to the other, tell them to go deep, tell them to stop hoofing it aimlessly.

I'm with Ghost here, Yobo has been poor recently. The season as a whole so far you have to look at how many times we've been forced into playing strange combinations in defence (and in midfield meaning less ball retention) but now we have to look at the form of these experienced players like Yobo and Hibbert and to a lesser extent Neill, because he's not played much, and Distin, because he's had unsettled lineups and Yobo as a partner.

Yobo is lucky we need Heitinga as a midfield option at the moment or I'm sure Moyes would have reacted by now and benched him.

I'd go for trying to sort the defence first by putting Heitinger in and then patch up a midfield which has been patched up all the while anyway.
Probably drop Yobo.

Neill will become a fixture this season and Baines needs to get back on his game.
It will also be good to see Bily and Pienaar on the flanks regularly. Get the Baines Pienaar combo going again and create a new one with Bily and Neill ;)

..................Howard...............
Neill...Heitinger......Distin..Baines
Bily.......Cahill.....Fellaini...Pienaar
.......Yakubu.......Saha..............

I would include Rodwell if fit in centre midfield, start with Tim.

Subs: Nash, Hibbert, Yobo, Gosling, Rodwell/Fellaini, Jo, Aggard

I'd go for trying to sort the defence first by putting Heitinger in and then patch up a midfield which has been patched up all the while anyway.
Probably drop Yobo.

Neill will become a fixture this season and Baines needs to get back on his game.
It will also be good to see Bily and Pienaar on the flanks regularly. Get the Baines Pienaar combo going again and create a new one with Bily and Neill ;)

..................Howard...............
Neill...Heitinger......Distin..Baines
Bily.......Cahill.....Fellaini...Pienaar
.......Yakubu.......Saha..............

I would include Rodwell if fit in centre midfield, start with Tim.

Subs: Nash, Hibbert, Yobo, Gosling, Rodwell/Fellaini, Jo, Aggard

That centre mid would get torn apart.

Problem being with the current available players, all our midfields are getting torn apart, regardless of personel.

Add to that a slow reacting centre halves offering Tim Howard little/no protection.
Until Phil, Arteta and Jags are back, we simply can not improve it a great deal.
Unless we buy in January.

I just think Heitinger would add to the back 4 under current circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.