Kevin Mirallas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greg O'Keefe reckons 5-6 weeks. That's not all that bad. It'd be recovered by late Oct / early Nov then he's got to get fit, so mix November. Maybe back for the West Ham home game or Spurs away end of November.

If that's the case it's not too bad. He'd miss 5-6 Premier League games and 3-4 Europa games.

I reckon it will be a lot longer than that though. I think Christmas time, anything earlier than that is a huge bonus as he's vital.

the sprinter John Regis always slams the way footballers stretch. he say's they do it completely wrong

Makes you wonder. Don't hear of too many athletes tearing hamstrings or any muscles to be honest. You don't in many other sports than football. Surely questions have to be asked...

the sprinter John Regis always slams the way footballers stretch. he say's they do it completely wrong
He's a sprinter though. Different kind of sport entirely in my opinion completely. Football is an intermittent sport consisting of short periods of high intensity sprints requiring sharp changes in angles and direction and long periods of lower intensity running, jogging or walking. Sprinting is one anaerobic event that requires only acceleration and speed with no required change in directions and aerobic exercise. Completely different physiological requirements for both sports and as such different stretching requirements.

Of course. But as with any injury it comes from excessive strains and forces being placed on the body. That's why you see hamstrings often ping while sprinting as they are experiencing such powerful loads and forces. Injuries can happen at any time really, no matter how much work you put in to injury prevention, you can't cut them out completely. All you can do is strengthen and restrengthen the muscles in order to reduce recurrence of injuries and hopefully prevent the cascade to injury proneness and overall loss of function.

Yeah you're right. Just seems to be more in football than any other sport. Think Mirallas, Ramsey both did it in one day. How many athletes rugby players or sprinters tear theirs? Obviously some do for the reasons you have stated but no where near as many as footballers...

Makes you wonder. Don't hear of too many athletes tearing hamstrings or any muscles to be honest. You don't in many other sports than football. Surely questions have to be asked...
That's because in football if someone gets injured, it gets plastered all over national news. If a rugby or hockey or cricket or sprinter injures themselves no-one is really arsed about reporting it.

He's a sprinter though. Different kind of sport entirely in my opinion completely. Football is an intermittent sport consisting of short periods of high intensity sprints requiring sharp changes in angles and direction and long periods of lower intensity running, jogging or walking. Sprinting is one anaerobic event that requires only acceleration and speed with no required change in directions and aerobic exercise. Completely different physiological requirements for both sports and as such different stretching requirements.

Rugby? No where near as many do in that sport compared to football and if anything theyd have more reason to tear there's with the force and pressure on their leg muscles...

That's because in football if someone gets injured, it gets plastered all over national news. If a rugby or hockey or cricket or sprinter injures themselves no-one is really arsed about reporting it.

That might be a fair point. I just meant when I watch other sports live it never seems to happen as much. So odd.

Rugby? No where near as many do in that sport compared to football and if anything theyd have more reason to tear there's with the force and pressure on their leg muscles...
Believe me, as a physio I see plenty of hamstring injuries from Rugby players. Football has lots of sprints as opposed to rugby which is why the little discrepancies in the two sports are seen.

Yeah you're right. Just seems to be more in football than any other sport. Think Mirallas, Ramsey both did it in one day. How many athletes rugby players or sprinters tear theirs? Obviously some do for the reasons you have stated but no where near as many as footballers...

...I think you'd be surprised, Hammy's are a curse for most Sportsmen/women. Heard Brian Moore (the ex-Rugby player) on radio yesterday talking about how he suffered and he's hardly a speed merchant. As noted earlier, football is intermittent with sprints coming from standing start. Also, you only witness athletes for short period on the track but many of their problems occur in training. Our gold medal long jumper (is it Rutherford) said he lost a whole season with persistent hamstring trouble.

Once they start they are difficult to shake off.

even if only 6 games its a big miss for us, we lack so much creativity at the moment and without mirallas its going to be a bit tough, we seem very predictable so far and teams seem to be able to stop us playing in the final third. were looking a bit laboured at times, maybe were just to obvious in
our build up play and were not suprising teams like we did last season, pienaar returning will help as will coleman, need barkley back asap. maybe atsu will get a chance to show what he can do

Injuries are just mega lame in general. Kone and Oviedo are out for three years, then they come back and Barks, Pienaar and now Mirallas are injured. We need Besic to immediately become the best player in the world, otherwise we're relying on McGeady luck/skill and Atsu realising he's now an adult.

I cant remember if its hamstrings or not but i know (besides concussions) there is an injury that if you sustain it once it makes you more susceptible to re-injuring it again and again and again. It sounds plausible that hamstrings are one of such things.

Greg O'Keefe reckons 5-6 weeks. That's not all that bad. It'd be recovered by late Oct / early Nov then he's got to get fit, so mix November. Maybe back for the West Ham home game or Spurs away end of November.

If that's the case it's not too bad. He'd miss 5-6 Premier League games and 3-4 Europa games.

I reckon it will be a lot longer than that though. I think Christmas time, anything earlier than that is a huge bonus as he's vital.
Don't want him rushed back at all. Torn hamstrings can be career enders especially for players that depend on pace like Mirallas does.

I kind of like that. For the longer term injuries, the vagueness means he doesn't get hassled by people saying "Oh, but you said Ross was due back at 15:00 on the 18th Oct and now he isn't".

For the shorter term stuff, it keeps the opposition management guessing. If we don't know if Coleman is fit, neither do they, so they have to rely on a guessing game as to what tactics / formation they want to play against us.

As a fan, it's frustrating not knowing, but I can see why Bobby regularly talks bollox about these kind of things.

Good points mate and your actually right. Would be nice if he just sent me a personal text though to keep me in the loop ;)

I think you're right blue girl, they won't take any chances with him given his history :(

Status
Not open for further replies.