January 2015 transfer window ( No GIFs allowed )(Nor fish puns ffs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the priority should be getting a left sided/central attacking player. Don't care who it is just as long as they're either better than what we currently have or someone with the potential to be.

I think the priority should be getting a left sided/central attacking player. Don't care who it is just as long as they're either better than what we currently have or someone with the potential to be.

This. Central isn't particularly an issue as we have 4 players (Osman, Naismith, Barkley, Eto'o) who can all play there. But we do need a left winger.

The views on this page are taken from the local and national media and do not necessarily reflect the views of Everton.
As well as reaction to Saturday's win over West Ham United, speculation grows as to who Everton boss Roberto Martinez could target in January in today's papers.

The Daily Star Sunday and Sunday Mirror both suggest the Blues are interested in Slovenia international Kevin Kampl, a midfielder who currently plays for Red Bull Salzburg in Austria.

Arsenal, Liverpool and Southampton are also tipped as potential suitors, with Saints boss Ronald Koeman rumoured to be particularly keen on the German-born 24-year-old.

Elsewhere, the Sunday People say Martinez has joined the race to capture Barcelona right-back Martin Montoya on loan, while another tabloid believes Basel's £10million-rated Cameroon-born Swiss international Breel Embolo is on the Toffees' radar.

The Daily Mail claim Chelsea could be considering a £20million summer bid for Blues right-back Seamus Coleman.

Coverage of Saturday's 2-1 win over Sam Allardyce's Hammers centres around Leon Osman, with many of the papers pointing to the midfielder marking his 400th Everton appearance with the winning goal.

Across a number of editions, Martinez hails the 33-year-old and also says it was his side's most satisfying victory of the campaign.

The Liverpool Echo likewise quote the Spaniard, who praises referee Mark Clattenburg for allowing a key advantage in the build-up to Osman's winner.

@EdwardMoore

wickham good god no, he's very bad. haven't seen enough of ings, to comment yet, looks decent from what i've seen though. it's always a massive step up for players like that - when they're the main man, the only goalscorer so to speak then coming to a team like us where the goals are shared and they're not so much the focal point anymore.

same with someone like sturridge, he's the only man liverpool will look to score goals for them so he'll get more than some of the better strikers at city and united etc.

NO NO NO

WTF. Sturridge to Ings? No disrespect to him but we defo bhave aspirations higher than this.

I think either of them, Ings more so would be a decent option as third choice striker when Kone retires, both would be more or less free signings in the summer which would allow us to spend our cash on a winger and a CB, having said that if RM thinks Chris Long or one of the other lads is good enough then I'd rather see them given a chance.

Ings won't be leaving in January, he's staying to the end of the season to see if he can keep Burnley up, and at the end of the season will decide whether to move on or stay as his contract ends.
From what I understand, Burnley weighed up selling him in the summer, but decided that the money from staying up in the Premier League was worth more than his market value, and that by keeping him as a proven goalscorer they had a better chance of avoiding relegation.
As it stands anyway as he is u24, as long as Burnley offer him a new contract with improved terms they stand to make money via compensation from the tribunal should he move on from them as a free agent.

Over the last few years, Everton have typically done the vast majority of their transfer business in the Summer, and not done anywhere near as much business in January. You can kind of understand this, as a decent net spend twice a year would most likely result in accounting losses etc. On the whole, this strategy has served us well.

But the truth is that the next tranche of TV money will be coming our way this Summer, along with the extra money from the Europa League campaign. Unless the money is put towards a new stadium project, we can expect a similar level of investment as we did last Summer.

But if a key player is available in January, it makes sense to buy him now rather than lose out on him, just in order to adhere to a summer only trading strategy. But the fans would need to accept that investment in January, would mean less investment in the Summer. I could certainly live with that.

Ideally, I would want someone like Cabaye. People will say we are covered in central midfield, but there is just nowhere near enough creativity going on. Osman showed how important and advantageous a bit of incisive, forward passing creativity can be yesterday, and Cabaye is literally 10 times better than Osman. Signing him may be unlikely for a number of reasons, but I have no doubt that a player like him would lift us right up the league. The winger issue can be sorted out by another loan.

Have Atsu and Eto'o had a kid?
main.php

Status
Not open for further replies.