James McCarthy, I was wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah but he's learning all this stuff from Barry. That's why Barry is important to me. Yeah also he puts a shift in, but if we can eek 2 more seasons out of the old spade-head then McCarthy will be 25 and have spent 3 seasons learning off a quality, intelligent player

Then the £13m will look like an absolute bargain (if it doesn't already).

PS : I think it would have been lower than that, but as they were negotiating, Fellaini turned up at old trafford on SSN and old Whelan doubled the price or something!

Last edited:
I must sit in a totally different part of the ground to all of you lot, cos I was totally unaware that there are still people who needed impressing about McCarthy.

Honestly, this thread is a complete surprise to me.

He's incredible. Except on the rare occasion he's not, like the first few games of the season, and then his lack of incredibleness (it's a word now) makes him stick out like a sore thumb.

One of the best midfielders in the league. I can see why people say "unsung hero" and the likes because what he does isn't the glamorous stuff and it's harder to assess, like Lee Carsley for example, but the way he's upped his game in a better team since joining from Wigan has been remarkable.

Well we did technially overpay for him. But it has turned out to be an excellent signing. He's not as good as Fellani in defense (albeit still does a good job) but he makes up for it by not being a dumpster fire against sides we have 60% possession against.

Hes a number 6 David, everybody expecting him to grow into the number 8 role, the number 8 is a dying breed in the modern game, its 2x numbers 6s and a number 10 these days lad.
I dont know Goat. Martinez for one has said he expects McCarthy to show more than he does. He anticipates him transforming into a box-to-box player. I actually doubt he has that potential, tbh. He's young and learning, yeah. But he shows no real aptitude in terms of carrying the ball or finding a killer pass...still less find the net.

We need to buy in that talent, unless Barkley goes deeper and takes up the role. QPR paid £8M for Fer. That would have been money well spent. He's young and he'd fetch that in a later sale.

I dont know Goat. Martinez for one has said he expects McCarthy to show more than he does. He anticipates him transforming into a box-to-box player. I actually doubt he has that potential, tbh. He's young and learning, yeah. But he shows no real aptitude in terms of carrying the ball or finding a killer pass...still less find the net.

We need to buy in that talent, unless Barkley goes deeper and takes up the role. QPR paid £8M for Fer. That would have been money well spent. He's young and he'd fetch that in a later sale.

Besic very much could be that player tho yano.

Besic very much could be that player tho yano.

He likes spraying the ball about, put it on plate with a lovely chipped through ball to Lukaku just after Garrard's goal, too. Will have to wait and see, of course, still seen so little of him thus far.

I've seen him ping some wonderful diagonals, and put in a few lovely through balls, but I agree that is an area he certainly needs to work on. If he adds that and a bit of drive to his game (doesn't need to be much), he'll be one step away from being a world class midfielder.

Status
Not open for further replies.