Jags....

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was poor at the start of the season and probably due from a world cup hangover...you know him getting the blame cos he doesn't play for a so called big club 'so it must be his fault' mentality. If he was dropped early in the season then I don't think he could have had any complaints but Martinez has a way of bigging them up and filling them with confidence. The old jags is back along with much meaner defence. He actually looks quite decent on the ball now aswell.

Time for me to eat humble pie I'm afraid,thought he looked finished at this club early doors this season,and to my shame I wanted him dropped,the last 10/12 games he has been nothing short of magnificent,fantastic again tonight,just goes to show how much Martinez knows and how little I know:blush:

No need to apologise for wanting him dropped early doors as he was absolutely dreadful. The WC mentally took its toll on him more than what we probably knew, coming back late pre season didn't help either. Fair play to him though, he's stuck at it and rode the storm and has been immense. 2 blocks tonight were as good as goals and good old fashioned watching a player stick his body on the line. Loved the commentary where they said they were doing the coin toss and it was between red and blue and he said never red always blue supposedly (Carlisle must have been on the pitch like a stalker or something lol )

He was superb tonight. That World Cup did him no favours with the undeserved flak he got but hes bounced back and is at the top of his game and gives us his all.

Form is temp....and all that!!

Looked every bit the england international and everton captain these last couple of months.

Never doubted him tho tbh.

He was never really fit through the summer and the start of the year. He's healthy now, and we can see the difference in his play.
Pace + nous + fearlessness - you have to be fit and confident to make it work, and he's even distributing now. Same for his French partner in crime. They're coming on form while everyone else is picking up a knock, and we are seeing more clean sheets as a result.

The Jags love runs deep at this address. Check my closet for the #6 jersey.

Start of the season he was dreadful but since the derby hes been outstanding.

Seems the world cup took alot outve the players that played in it. And think jags was effected mentally from the unecessary stick he got from the media

Words from the captain;

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-fc-capable-big-things-8189759

Phil Jagielka insists Everton are ready to achieve “big things” in Europe after they won their group with a flourish to ensure progress into the Europa League knockout stages.

The Toffees beat Wolfsburg 2-0 at the Volkswagen Arena courtesy of goals from Romelu Lukaku and Kevin Mirallas as they remained unbeaten in Group H.

And skipper Jagielka is confident they can continue their impressive performances in the competition into the new year.

He said: “We knew it was going to be a tough group from the draw but we’ve done a really professional job from day one. We started with a win and then cemented our place tonight.

He reckons Roberto Martinez has built the strongest squad he has ever been part of during his time on Merseyside.

“It’s funny,” he added. “When we left on Wednesday I think we counted eight players who would be considered big first team players who didn’t even travel.

“Then the manager changed things around as well. So the team we started with, as well as the boys we left back home tells you how strong this squad is.

"Sometimes that can be difficult to manage. It’s up to the manager to keep people sharp, focused and confident but at the moment we’re looking forward to having a few back soon.”

Status
Not open for further replies.