Is this the season when Shane Duffy breaks through?

Status
Not open for further replies.

when i score we riot

Player Valuation: £35m
1909229.jpg

If you ever played FM as Everton with the facepack thing installed, you're likely to have seen this picture before. Shane Duffy's lovely mug coupled with those physical stats and big potential. As we have learned of him before, this boy is a fighter. And i would say he is in the fight for a place at the heart of our back for this season - a fight which will be tough, as he is facing up to Stones, Jags, Distin and Alcaraz for starters.

However, all of those players have struggled with injuries, and i guess are likely to be rested for a lot of games anyway, seeing how our schedule gets so busy already halfway through september. There will be playing time to be had, and i'd say Shane is coming off a good spell in his career where it would only serve us well if we attempt to nurture it.

During the past year our young irish centre back has played almost 40 games in the champo, and yeah, gotten relegated but racked up some important experience. He also made his debut for the senior national team. Out of our centre backs who played in blue last season, Alcaraz managed 8 and Stones & Jags spread the rest of their duties out on about 20 games each, Distin impressively holding on for 36 starts. But out of the group, one could at least consider that full season under his belt would put him in front of the shaky Alcaraz (who also as something to prove, mind) and contending for the holes in the roster from injuries and setback. And surely there is a gaping hole left in defence for someone to eventually replace Distin! There's a future there somewhere.

We've heard a lot about John Stones and i am excited beyond anything for him, but let's not let Shane Duffy be left in the shadows! At 22 years and with only a year left on his contract this is indeed his time to earn his career as a Premier League centre back. And i love the guy, seems sound and has made it far despite all kinds of setbacks, so i've got my fingers crossed for him this season.

Does Roberto though? Are we sure he rates him? Do you guys do so?
Will we ever hear from his dad @brian duffy on this forum again?
Ominously, his last visit was on transfer deadline day in january.

Either way i'm looking forward to seeing him in pre-season and i'm sure we will see him again on the pitch, hopefully more than ever. Otherwise he probably wouldn't want to stay, would he? I suppose he won't if he in fact is not good enough...

I'd like to say I rate him as he seems a nice lad, but... lacks a yard of pace and always looks prone to a mistake.

I think he's came around in the wrong era. Stones looks well more suited to being a modern defender, whereas Duffy is more of the Dave Watson type.

Looked good against tranmere, guess time will tell what hes like against tougher opposition. Absolute beast in the air though, we need tht

I think he will be 4th choice CB, ahead of Alcaraz. I also think he will get a decent chunk of games, and the rest is up to him. If Jags or Distin get injured then who knows. But he might have to move on because he might be too decent to be a bench warmer. He could probably go to somewhere like Hull or Sunderland and be first choice.

No.

He 'broke through' 3 seasons ago.

It's the next bit he's struggled with.

I've decided that I will not judge anything that happened in the Moyes ere in terms of young players breaking through. Mustafi just won the world cup FFS, and didnt even get a sniff under Moyes. Rodwell was mis-managed, Barkley bombed after one mistake and there is probably more. He didn't break through 3 seasons ago. He played a few games because of injuries, did well and was then dropped

Seems like a nice enough lad and has the heart to succeed. That injury he sustained was horrific.

He just doesn't strike me as a composed ball-player that we seem to be striving for these days. He IS good in the air but his head must be like a 50p because whilst his clearances do go far, you are just never sure in which direction.

Put it this way, I trust Alcaraz in the team more than Duffy.

As pointed out above, he belongs to another era....or a more 'agricultural' style manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.