IS SEAMUS AS GOOD AS THE PAST FULL BACKS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Defensive wise: I think he's better at it than Baines now. He's excellent at recovering ground to get back in position and makes a lot of interventions in his own box. He's learned a lot over the past two years or so.

The difference between Coleman and Baines is that Baines can be 'in' the game a lot more than Seamus and therefore be more influential in terms of overall contribution; but Coleman can have the greater impact on a match with a surging run that opens the opposition up in or around their own box.

Seamus's development from raw talent into a cultured top drawer international has been one of the most progressive I've ever seen.
He's patently a lad who continually works on his game and has never shown any signs of being content at having 'made it'
Strikes me as a very humble lad

Everton in the last 50 years or there about, Everton have had great right backs in Alex Parker, Tommy Wright and Gary Stevens. Present day we are blessed with Seamus Coleman. Is he as good or better than those mentioned. I love him to bits and for me he is quality and I would definitely put him up there with the greats

Certainly up there with Gary Stevens for me. It's a very different game now to what it was in Stevens day, so it's hard to compare them, but in terms of quality, Coleman is as good as anything we've seen for a very long time. Excellent going forward and much better defensively than people give him credit for.

Needs to do it when it really matters on a big stage to seal it though, and that means silverware. You can be "a great" without winning anything, but having a medal in your locker is the most important thing.

The best RB in England at the moment and surely the likes of Barca and Real are watching him with great intrest.Not sure if going to another EPL club will improve him any more he can learn all he needs with us.

Everton in the last 50 years or there about, Everton have had great right backs in Alex Parker, Tommy Wright and Gary Stevens. Present day we are blessed with Seamus Coleman. Is he as good or better than those mentioned. I love him to bits and for me he is quality and I would definitely put him up there with the greats

......fortunate to see these top RBs, Keith Newton also played for England in World Cup finals (I think). Stevens was a real modern day full back, Gary Lineker said his crosses were so good you only had to get a head on them an inevitably they would go in. Also great link up with Trevor Steven.

Coleman is comfortably in that company. His goal scoring exploits alone might eventually see him as the best.

......fortunate to see these top RBs, Keith Newton also played for England in World Cup finals (I think). Stevens was a real modern day full back, Gary Lineker said his crosses were so good you only had to get a head on them an inevitably they would go in. Also great link up with Trevor Steven.

Coleman is comfortably in that company. His goal scoring exploits alone might eventually see him as the best.
Keith Newton was a poor buy dawdled on the ball needed too much time - he got dropped a fair few times!

Personally, since Coleman returned from his facial injury I do not think he is playing close to his potential. He's certainly a distance from his best.

He has appeared restricted or more cautious on the attack (going past a map or the overlap), yet defensively he is still solid.

However, this is not a criticism if that is how it appears: Coleman is still currently one of the best right backs in the league on recent form.

That is a sure sign of how good he actually is. When he is slightly off form he is good; when he is on form he is unplayable.

He offers everything we would want: pace; strong tackle; reads the game well; defensively he is solid; offers goals and assist.

I am cautious about putting him up along Stevens, for the game is different and when you consider what he achieved.

Yet, the fact that many fans are comparing him, or even saying he surpassed him, is a tribute to Seamus and his ability.

Hopefully he can win silverware with us, for he would then certainly go down in folklore.

Status
Not open for further replies.