Votes: 41 18.9%
  • No - £28m of sexiness.

Votes: 149 68.7%
  • Romelu on Toast.

Votes: 27 12.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If he continues as he is, and doesn´t listen to people who just want him legging around and "upping his workrate" he will be a very good player. We will make better use of him soon. I wouldn´t want our main striker, coming back from inury to be using all his energy in hustling the defence constantly. I´d want him to come alive when we finally work some space for him or find him with a pass when he makes one of his many decent runs.

I don´t see enough in him yet to see world class, but he will be a very good player for us. He is already one of the highest rated strikers in the league by other teams playing us, I would imagine.

There´s as much evidence, if not more, in the current transfer market to show the value vs his goals ratio in the prem league was not bad business at all. Especially if we are to believe we have actually paid less and there is a huge amount of add-on clauses.

Yea in no way I want a CF, especially one as big as Rom dragging his behind all over the pitch chasing lost causes. I hate the oh his big and therefore fat and out of shape so he's just lazy moniker that many people give CFs. That's not his jerb. If anything he should be working less and picking his spots so he can jump a bit higher or bully people off the ball a bit easier in the later minutes.

Rom has his deficiences, his 1st touch atrocious but we have 10 other guys on the pitch as well.

He's having less effect on games than I would like so far this season but its early days for him yet as an Everton player.

It's not always his fault that he's having less effect though.

Could it not be because hes not really a winger and is being played as such?

I'm not really sure what its down to TBH and I'm not saying he's been rubbish or anything just that when we signed him I envisaged him winning us games, so far thats not really happened so far but I'm certainly not going to start slating him after 6 games either.

When? Perhaps when he first joined and was getting up to speed, but I remember a cup final against the rs and he pulled the ball down on his neck that was played at pace. Most top strikers will have a quality first touch. Rom is great at facing the goal and attacking the ball at the minute, he is a smart guy, his touch has already improved since last season. My major concern is that he's not going to learn being pushed wide every time we play a big game. We need to play to his strengths, he hasn't scored that many goals by hugging the touchline!

Ha, I was trying to find some youtube clips to highlight when Drogba's touch was iffy. Then I realised that Youtube doesn't work that way. You just get to see Drogba smashing the ball in from everywhere like a footballing god. Guess nobody thought to make a lowlights reel of his mis-controls. Ho-hum. Ah well, middle finger to scientific positivism and all that. I did see it. Honest....no really...ad lib to fade.
Regardless, agreed...long term you'd expect Lukaku to play closer to goal where he can do more damage.

Last edited:

I have just been reading through recent threads and noticed something that is popping up more frequently in recent weeks.

The debate of our number 10 - Romelu Lukaku. How good is he and how much is he worth. That seems to be the main discussion.

For what it's worth, in my opinion, Romelu Lukaku is not worth £28m. He is worth about £15m with the potential to be £28m.

Wayne Rooney was 21 and worth £28m. He set goals up, scored goals, defended, performed in big games. Romelu has done some of the above but at 21 rooney was a different level to Rom.

Romelu is currently hit and miss. He is potentially worth £28m. Nothing more than potential in relation to his hefty fee.
In the mans defence he did not set the price tag on himself. However im sure he is well aware of it. He is his own worse enemy when it comes to his performances. He analyses everything himself. He wants to be the best. I really hope to see him at his best in a blue shirt, £28m will seem like a Tim Cahill bargain if he achieves what he wants.

He is the man who scored more goals than Messi, Ronaldo and Aguero did by time he turned 21 (may be wrong about the age quoted). He did this playing in a average belgian league, but can he do it on a wet wednesday night at stoke in the premier league ? we know the answer to that too. (cue the shouts of he hasnt scored against stoke from a stat man of GOT).

What are people's thoughts on our number 10 ? Was our hand forced by Chelsea knowing how desperate we are for strikers on a limited budget ?

Or

Has Martinez brought in the next big thing ?

Thoughts ?

Two things.

World cup.

Toe injury.

That is all.

Ha, I was trying to find some youtube clips to highlight when Drogba's touch was iffy. Then I realised that Youtube doesn't work that way. You just get to see Drogba smashing the ball in from everywhere like a footballing god. Guess nobody thought to make a lowlights reel of his mis-controls. Ho-hum. Ah well, middle finger to scientific positivism and all that. I did see it. Honest....no really...ad lib to fade.
Regardless, agreed...long term you'd expect Lukaku to play closer to goal where he can do more damage.

lol I appreciate you've picked a difficult side there. perhaps there were times when his touch let him down like all players, but in the main Drogba had a quality touch and if Lukaku could be that kind of player for us, he'll be outstanding. When Drogba was at Marseille i think he was older than Rom is now, but they often played to his strengths, who could forget the hattrick against the rs when he tore them to pieces with his strength and running.

Rom will never progress like that on the wing though, marking their fullback for 90 mins.

Two things.

World cup.

Toe injury.

That is all.

I get your point in the WC and Toe injury. The worst thing is he was poor-average for belgium, origi played instead of him because they realised Lukaku wasnt cutting it.

The general opinion on this thread is he will be boss given time, which again i alluded to in the original post potential etc etc.
Like i say im a fan of Lukaku and sometimes forget he is 21 still - such a beast ! Some people here have took offence to the post in a weird angry way.

I get your point in the WC and Toe injury. The worst thing is he was poor-average for belgium, origi played instead of him because they realised Lukaku wasnt cutting it.

The general opinion on this thread is he will be boss given time, which again i alluded to in the original post potential etc etc.
Like i say im a fan of Lukaku and sometimes forget he is 21 still - such a beast ! Some people here have took offence to the post in a weird angry way.

His toe injury has affected his ability to get properly fit. You saw this in the wolfsburg game and his sweating excessively.

His form dropped off in the world cup mainly due to fatigue.

The world cup has significantly disrupted Everton. But its not something we can't rectify. Just have to keep the ball better. Better passing and more aggression in attacks.

Doing this will stop us conceding too.

His toe injury has affected his ability to get properly fit. You saw this in the wolfsburg game and his sweating excessively.

His form dropped off in the world cup mainly due to fatigue.

The world cup has significantly disrupted Everton. But its not something we can't rectify. Just have to keep the ball better. Better passing and more aggression in attacks.

Doing this will stop us conceding too.

The one thing i am shocked at is the fact we talk about strikers and how we can improve the team with passing, aggression and such like, the worrying thing for me is that nobody has mentioned playing two up front. In recent memory i can only remember AJ, Beattie, yakubu, bent and Jelavic being used as one upfront. It would be interesting to see us play two strikers, could this help ease the pressure on Rom ?

Can the mods link this to the traffic kone thread, start a petition for a Kone & Lukaku strike force ? We will do the following:

1. Kone & Romelu petition.
2. Stadium construction.
3. Get @ijjysmith some anger management.

:D:D:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.