How long did Moyes hold us back for ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I'm weird for thinking Moyes was a good thing to happen to Everton and not hating him with every fibre of my being.

I don't hate him with every fibre of my being. And he was the best thing to happen to us in agess. However he treated us like mugs after he left, trying to sign Baines for Utd while still working at Finch Farm. He showed no class or respect and has been treated likewise by Utd now. Hope he enjoys his £6mil and his new job at West Brom / Norwich / Newcastle.

I guess I'm weird for thinking Moyes was a good thing to happen to Everton and not hating him with every fibre of my being.
Not quite like that but I'm glad for his failure, he took us for a ride, made plenty of contradictory comments and tried to unsettle us in pre-season despite getting a great send-off from club and supporters.

He was he turned us from a bottom 6 side to a top 6 side with no money.
He Did a fantastic job for us especially in the transfer market.
In his last season we played our best football under him but it was the right time for him to go and thankfully we have Roberto now.

I love it when people throw out arguments during a debate, then pretend like there was only one person involved in the argument if it's not going their way.
I don't know why you bother arguing the facts of an opinion either, but you do, its a forum, I guess its what people do. If you don't like it, don't get involved or use the ignore button.

I simply don't need to make excuses for our ex manager progressing us from 15th to 6th.
I've always said his biggest success was making a generation believe averaging one or two places above the wage league table position by winning a big fat zero was enough for Everton - it never was and never will be.

There were 5 or 6 years wasted in this stupor, fans so frightened "be careful what you wish for" became the mantra representing no change and no ambition.

Martinez and Utd have proved without doubt the charges against Moyes. There is simply no argument anymore.

But as long as you're happy with 11 years of nothing that's just fine.

He stabilised us and was then totally content with finishing also rans. He classed that as a success and his soundbites confirmed that we had no right to compete with the financial giants and the press supported him and many Everton fans accepted this. Top 7 was revered and made into some kind of miracle. He lost his fight and ambition years ago and just went through the paces and continued to convince the press and fans alike that we are were we belong. Realistically, he was belittling us in the last years of his tenure.

Roll on the Man Utd job and the soundbites came back with a vengeance all against the club that treated him as a messiah and made him a millionaire and employed his family. His words were patronising and hurtful to a fanbase and club that did nothing but support him. He thought he had made it and began acting like he was a messiah. He had no modesty and he could not take criticism. He just thought he had made it as the big boss and everything he does must be right. Martinez showed us in a few short months how many aspects of the game there is. He tried different things with the same players and the improvement and confidence in these players shone out. Just look at what Baines said about the differences in attitudes between the managers. Moyes had players playing unnatural football, fearful of mistakes and fearful of the opposition whilst Martinez is the exact opposite and cannot understand it if a player doesn't enjoy there football.

So IMO Moyes certainly held us back by not attempting (through fear of being given bad rep) to change the mentality of the players and basically letting them know that he thinks they are not good enough to compete against the financial giants, in other words an inferiority complex ran through the club.

I've always said his biggest success was making a generation believe averaging one or two places above the wage league table position by winning a big fat zero was enough for Everton - it never was and never will be.

There were 5 or 6 years wasted in this stupor, fans so frightened "be careful what you wish for" became the mantra representing no change and no ambition.

Martinez and Utd have proved without doubt the charges against Moyes. There is simply no argument anymore.

If it really is that easy to take a team from near the bottom to near the top why don't other managers do it?
Why didn't Roberto do it with Wigan?
He took over Wigan in a similar position to Moyes did Everton, and ended up relegated.
Howard Kendall is a legend but he got nowhere near replicating his early success in his second and third spells working under the conditions Moyes did with us.

If it really is that easy to take a team from near the bottom to near the top why don't other managers do it?
Why didn't Roberto do it with Wigan?
He took over Wigan in a similar position to Moyes did Everton, and ended up relegated.
Howard Kendall is a legend but he got nowhere near replicating his early success in his second and third spells working under the conditions Moyes did with us.
It's like the plethora of postings about Wigan selling their best and reducing the wage bill by over 20% bypasses Moyes devotees - did Moyes have to slash the wages by 20%?

If you knew anything about Kendal you would know other factors affected him.

Honestly are you Moyes devotees so blind you can't see what has happened?

Every argument defending Moyes proclaiming him as some kind of omnipotent maestro achieving miracles at GP has been crushed. He was an unproven manager who walked into a terrific opportunity at Everton and did a steadying acceptable job for 3 or 4 years. Then he become an arrogant cnt who should have been chased out.

It's like the plethora of postings about Wigan selling their best and reducing the wage bill by over 20% bypasses Moyes devotees - did Moyes have to slash the wages by 20%?

Did we not sell our best? Our wage bill was about £15m more than Wigans. It was £60m less than Liverpool. Yet we finished above them for the last 2 years and Wigan got nowhere near us.
If not Roberto why not anyone else? Why did no other manager simply not establish a team in the top 6-8 teams on a similar budget? Fulham, Sunderland, Stoke, West Ham all spend more or the same but got nowhere near? Why not, it was easy?

If you knew anything about Kendal you would know other factors affected him.

Maybe they did but he couldn't recreate the magic in the modern era.

Honestly are you Moyes devotees so blind you can't see what has happened?

Every argument defending Moyes proclaiming him as some kind of omnipotent maestro achieving miracles at GP has been crushed. He was an unproven manager who walked into a terrific opportunity at Everton and did a steadying acceptable job for 3 or 4 years. Then he become an arrogant cnt who should have been chased out.

So he should have been chased out when finishing 5th-8th in the league. Representing 9 of the best 10 finishes in the last 20 years?

As I've posted in another thread in the last 44 years we've finished in the top 8 of the league 23 times. 9 of these happened in the 11 years Moyes was in charge. If you can't see this being more than a steadying job you are wilfully ignorant,

Under Moyes I really think we would have 4th (or just a point or 2 away) last year if Jelavic was oh 75% of what he was in Jan-May 2013.

We also have to remember we've have periods in which we played some fantastic footie under him as well. His major failure (or ownerships failure) was that we almost always had bargain bin band-aid strikers on the side. Now some of them were OK, especially Saha, but they were either too old too fast or easily found out (Jelavic). I didn't see any difference between the 2012-13 squad and this years team in the matches we didn't have Lukaku. Its not a considence that Moyes had his best squad had Yak in his prime.

Did we not sell our best? Our wage bill was about £15m more than Wigans. It was £60m less than Liverpool. Yet we finished above them for the last 2 years and Wigan got nowhere near us.
If not Roberto why not anyone else? Why did no other manager simply not establish a team in the top 6-8 teams on a similar budget? Fulham, Sunderland, Stoke, West Ham all spend more or the same but got nowhere near? Why not, it was easy?

Maybe they did but he couldn't recreate the magic in the modern era.

So he should have been chased out when finishing 5th-8th in the league. Representing 9 of the best 10 finishes in the last 20 years?

As I've posted in another thread in the last 44 years we've finished in the top 8 of the league 23 times. 9 of these happened in the 11 years Moyes was in charge. If you can't see this being more than a steadying job you are wilfully ignorant,
I really can't be bothered.

I think my overall feelings are that we wouldn't be here now without Moyes. Whatever way you cut it he did a great job for us in taking us from relegation fodder to European hopefuls. I think his style of play naturally makes it difficult to win anything but also made us hard to beat. He laid the foundations for the club to move forward. Now we have a manager with the mentality to move the club on again. If Martinez had come in when Moyes did we likely would have gone the way of Wigan and been relegated by playing a system that was beyond the players we had at the club when Moyes joined us. Each manager has their strengths and maybe Moyes did stay a few years to long but credit should go to Kenwright for choosing the right man at the right time on both occasions

Where do you think the money came from for those wages you think he should of been sacked for doing better than?
We weren't spending anything like that sort of money when our prize fund was 15th in the league.

He spent what he earn't, he was given nothing from the board, what he built came from our improvement under Moyes, and that alone.

Finish high in the league, have more money, simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.