How long did Moyes hold us back for ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where do you think the money came from for those wages you think he should of been sacked for doing better than?
We weren't spending anything like that sort of money when our prize fund was 15th in the league.

He spent what he earn't, he was given nothing from the board, what he built came from our improvement under Moyes, and that alone.

Finish high in the league, have more money, simple.
As I said as long as you were happy with it does it really worry you others were not?

All these posts like 'Martinez couldn't of done what Moyes did, Wigan went down' etc are pointless. All it proves really is Moyes is better at at stabilising a club over time and Martinez is better with a good squad. This year we've had our best ever PL points tally. Plus he won the FA cup

A limited manager at the very top level. He was just what we needed when he came to the club, but he found his level making us a solid top half of the table club. With his level of negativity and his lack of tactical nous he just could not take us any further and he was never going to be the answer at Man U.

I would say 3 years.

3-0 at Anfield was the point I changed, and I think many changed much earlier.

It's just about opinions, really. We all have different expectations and if Moyes hasn't measured up you'll say so.

There's no doubt that he steadied the ship here and achieved as much as we could reasonably expect, imo.

Ok, we won nothing, and that's how many of you measure him. I don't see it quite that way.

I've had great pleasure over most of these past eight or nine seasons without any pots. This season has probably been the best of them under Roberto, but I had some great times under Moyes, too. I'm loving being an Evertonian right now and Everton has won eight big trophies in my time so I could be picky.

I've always said his biggest success was making a generation believe averaging one or two places above the wage league table position by winning a big fat zero was enough for Everton - it never was and never will be.

There were 5 or 6 years wasted in this stupor, fans so frightened "be careful what you wish for" became the mantra representing no change and no ambition.

Martinez and Utd have proved without doubt the charges against Moyes. There is simply no argument anymore.

But as long as you're happy with 11 years of nothing that's just fine.

+1

I think the big problem here is that people don't like to admit to being wrong.

So some lids on here keep on blustering about Moyes in the way they used to do when they were shouting down those of us who longed for a new start with a forward thinking coach.

Removed from the protective embrace of his Uncle Billy and the unquestioning loyalty of a beaten generation of Everton fans, Mr. Moyes's deficiencies were laid bare under the OT spotlight and now the whole football world sees what half the Goodison faithful realised sometime around 2009.

That the Emperor had no clothes.

....whenever DM left we would've been at a critical crossroads. With hindsight he may have held us up for 3 years or so, but had he gone at that point in time there was a real risk that his successor might've taken us backwards. The way things have panned out IS probably fine, because a key aspect in all of this is that we found somebody who could not only take over but move us to the next level. Take a bow RM.

7th, 7th and 6th.

Who did we finish behind in that time who we should have finished above?

The thread is "how long did Moyes hold us back" - we're currently 1 point off the Champions League with a record points total in a new managers transition season.

That tells the story. If we had a new manager three years ago, the same thing would have happened - you talk about those league finishes, all of which happened with either a bad start to the season or terrible finish as he was a bottler. We had periods in all those seasons were we were ruthless with the pressure off. Martinez has let go of the leash and you're seeing the results.

The answer, all day long, is three to four years. The bold bit of your post is a negative mindset that needs to be got rid of - the question isn't who we should have finished above, but why we didn't get anywhere near.

The thread is "how long did Moyes hold us back" - we're currently 1 point off the Champions League with a record points total in a new managers transition season.

That tells the story. If we had a new manager three years ago, the same thing would have happened.

I believe Martinez is an exceptional manager. Exceptional means there aren't many as good as or better than him (some ... not many) ... meaning if we'd gotten a different manager the odds are they would not have been as good as RM.

We are crazy lucky (with him anyway ... I would not describe our collective luck over the last 20-30 years as good) and we shouldn't forget it ... look at some of the absolute jackasses managing Premier League clubs right now.

That said ... you might be right in a vacuum that he was holding us back for the last 3-4 years ... but that doesn't mean firing him then was automatically the right choice. What if we'd hired Pardew?

I don't care about insulting Moyes with the idea almost any manager could have done better than Moyes -- I do think it's a bit of an insult to RM to assume there are a bunch of managers we could hire who could do what he has done.

That tells the story. If we had a new manager three years ago, the same thing would have happened - you talk about those league finishes, all of which happened with either a bad start to the season or terrible finish as he was a bottler. We had periods in all those seasons were we were ruthless with the pressure off. Martinez has let go of the leash and you're seeing the results.

The answer, all day long, is three to four years. The bold bit of your post is a negative mindset that needs to be got rid of - the question isn't who we should have finished above, but why we didn't get anywhere near.

Great post.

Status
Not open for further replies.