How interested are you in the womens team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The exodus from Everton Ladies since the money came into the Super League and Mo Marley left as manager after 10 years in the job, over the past 18 months, has been astounding.

The heart has been ripped out of the squad; literally all the best players have now left - Natasha Dowie, Jill Scott, now Toni Duggan, and others.

Money is ruling their game now as well now, the rumours are that Man City (preparing for their first season in the Super League from March 2014, after basically buying their place into the league and replacing Doncaster Belles) are TRIPLING Duggan's wages, compared to what she would have earned at Everton. The difference is, City's Sheik, and John Henry at Liverpool, are now bankrolling the ladies teams, whilst Everton Ladies get very little to no support from Everton's board. City Ladies & Liverpool Ladies are basically being run as full time professional teams, training every day at the same training ground as the mens teams, whilst Everton Ladies are basically still being run part time (due to the wages) and don't train every day.

It's really sad and extremely transparent what's going on - we had a very good side that was in the top 2/3 for the last 10 years, and now the game has changed, we can't keep up due to the financial disparities, and the team is basically disintegrating. An all too familiar situation unfortunately.

who gives a **** lad, women's footy is badly ****. I'd rather we didnt spend a single penny on it

who gives a **** lad, women's footy is badly ****. I'd rather we didnt spend a single penny on it

Everton prides itself on its community aspect and the many different teams it has, at youth and female levels. It's a leader in many of these areas - we won't win any 'richest team' prizes, but the club has always been about doing the right things holistically. That's what makes Everton, 'Everton'.

Yeah, I realise some people view women's footy as a joke, but it is becoming big business. The regular league games are now live on BT Sport. There is a summer Super League. Why do you think Man City and Liverpool (City didn't even exist a year ago, Liverpool spent most of the 2000s in the lower divisions - all the while Everton were challenging with Arsenal and winning trophies) are now ploughing money into their clubs? Because there is money to be made. Investment = increased revenues.

So yeah, lets miss out on the kudos of providing a good standard of football for all ages and genders, and pull out of womens football, right before loads of money is coming into the game, becoming more attractive to sponsors and tv companies, far more money to be made, and growing crowds attending matches too (Everton 4th highest average attendance in the league; Liverpool had the lowest attendance for any match in the league last season).

Anyway, if the rumours going around are true, you may get your wish. Rumours going around that the next season will be our last and that the club is going to fold after over 30 years in existance. Currently we are the oldest club in the league. What a shame if that tradition dies.

Everton prides itself on its community aspect and the many different teams it has, at youth and female levels. It's a leader in many of these areas - we won't win any 'richest team' prizes, but the club has always been about doing the right things holistically. That's what makes Everton, 'Everton'.

Yeah, I realise some people view women's footy as a joke, but it is becoming big business. The regular league games are now live on BT Sport. There is a summer Super League. Why do you think Man City and Liverpool (City didn't even exist a year ago, Liverpool spent most of the 2000s in the lower divisions - all the while Everton were challenging with Arsenal and winning trophies) are now ploughing money into their clubs? Because there is money to be made. Investment = increased revenues.

So yeah, lets miss out on the kudos of providing a good standard of football for all ages and genders, and pull out of womens football, right before loads of money is coming into the game, becoming more attractive to sponsors and tv companies, far more money to be made, and growing crowds attending matches too (Everton 4th highest average attendance in the league; Liverpool had the lowest attendance for any match in the league last season).

Anyway, if the rumours going around are true, you may get your wish. Rumours going around that the next season will be our last and that the club is going to fold after over 30 years in existance. Currently we are the oldest club in the league. What a shame if that tradition dies.

This sickens me and should sicken any true fan of the club and the game. I watched a few of the women's games at London 2012 and the talent was superb. I always take an interest in Everton Ladies and the prospect of the RS and ****ty BUYING their way to success makes a mockery of everything that has been good about women's football till now. EFC are better than that - always have been, always should be. Sod the stupid, sexist comments in this thread, Everton Ladies deserve better than to be marginalised and mocked like this.

Just looked at Portland Thorns wiki page, got over 17 000 for their finale match last season. That ain't something shrug at. A lot of potential for women's soccer and looks like Everton might miss out.

well said.

That's an interesting cultural difference, then. In the States, a lot of women are very into sports. They might not all follow it quite as closely as their male counterparts (able to name every player, break down tactics and the like), but I'd say that most of the women I know at the very least have a favorite team, know their own players, watch/go to games, etc. Basketball is enormous where I live, and almost the entire city is mad about the local team. Even the women's team regularly draws 5-9,000 fans to games (the men's team consistently gets 24,000 for every single game).
The UK needs its own "Title 9."

"It’s hard to exaggerate the far-reaching effect of Title IX on American society. The year before Title IX was enacted, there were about 310,000 girls and women in America playing high school and college sports; today, there are over 3 million."

More here if you care: http://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...sneakily-revolutionized-womens-sports/258708/

Far less interested now we've sold all our best players, a couple of which were to Liverpool FFS.

I know it's bad but the only way Women's football could interest me is appealing to the basest glory-hunting instincts. I remember watching when we were in that televised BBC match the FA Cup final and we beat Arsenal 3-2. I was really happy to see a team carrying the Everton name bringing home silverware but I was solely focused on victory. It' not entertaining enough to draw me in to just appreciate the football.

I didn't know the situation was that serious and this is really saddening. whether I was particularly intersted in women's football or not I was always interested in an Everton team that was one of the dominant forces in its league. The women's team has been a consistent credit to the club and it would be awful to see us lose them altogether.

Everton is biggest traditional club left in England and because of having to compete with such financial inequality has meant, as always, the most vulnerable are the first to go. To pad the excessive wages of the men's team we have to dismantle the women's team altogether. Awful.

Don't follow it but haven't we lost a few of our star players of late?

Loads.
Gutting thing for me about this is that the teams that actually created the demand through dedication, like Doncaster and ourselves, are just going to drop out to the carpet-bagging bandwaggon jumpers :(

http://www.shekicks.net/news/view/9117?

Fifteen players agree new Everton contracts

Everton have confirmed that 15 players have penned new contracts with the club ahead of the FA WSL 2014 season.

With each and every one of Andy Spence’s first team squad out of contract at the end of the 2013 campaign, the vast majority of players have re-signed to the Blues ahead of what promises to be an exciting 2014 campaign.

Rachel Brown-Finnis will look to put an injury-hit season behind her and hope a strong season between the sticks will catch the eye of new England manager Mark Sampson, while in front of her Lindsay Johnson, Alex Greenwood, Fern Whelan and Vicky Jones will continue to form the Toffees defence.

Midfielders Michelle Hinnigan, Jody Handley, Kelly Jones and Amy Kane have all committed, and up front Nikita Parris has penned fresh terms.

The club are also pleased to announce that Centre of Excellence graduates Paige Williams, Lucy Whipp, Danielle Turner and Chaney Boye-Hlorkah – as well as last season’s signing Simone Magill – have all signed their first senior contracts.

Having lost influential duo Jill Scott and Toni Duggan, the news is very welcome for boss Spence. “Firstly I'm delighted with the players who have re-signed and shown fantastic commitment to the club,” he said.

“From a longer term point of view, it's brilliant that we have been able to secure a large number of players on long term deals which will allow our team to grow and develop together.

“Pre-Season is only a matter of weeks away now and I'm looking forward to seeing all the players back in ahead of what will be an exciting 2014 campaign.”

Status
Not open for further replies.