GOT World Exclusive - video footage of the Lille police incident - CONTAINS BAD LANGUAGE

Status
Not open for further replies.
A minor point in the grand scheme of things, but I'm fairly sure there are more than nine plain clothes police in that photo.
The guy with the shaved head, specs and beard growth, to the back, right of centre of the red marking is definitely one and I suspect the ones grappling in the centre are also.
A crazy decision to go in like that.
i think 15 to 16 i blame the everton spotters

i think 15 to 16 i blame the everton spotters
Those pictures are an absolute disgrace and I hope Everton Football club have these images and act accordingly because for a 70 year old man and a lid to be injured like that is a disgrace. The thing is you can actually see the undercover cops actually looking like they are enjoying themselves the absolute scum and it's a miracle that the other 9,999 blues didn't turn on that gang and beat the crap out of them because from that pic those cops just look like yobs. Everton need to get Uefa involved and people need to be disciplined for that. Could have blinded either of those Blues or even worse caused a stampede. Absolutely disgusting and apart from 4-5 piss heads throwing stuff everyone else's behaviour is absolutely second to none.
it was are spotter who sent them in he needs a good bollicking

it was mersyside police spotters who sent them thugs in to nick that man

It is more likely they just pointed him out to the French police. They wouldnt have told them what to do. If he was a known drug dealer, and you are undercover/plain clothed, it is often more useful just to keep an eye on him. See if you can catch him actually dealing or something.

Just got back from Lille. We weren't in the Grand Place when the trouble kicked off yesterday but the atmosphere overall was great. I bought the local paper this morning to check their version of the day and was pleasantly pleased by what they reported. They said the incident on Wednesday night where Everton fans were attacked was completely unprovoked and all responsibility for it rested with the Lille hooligans. They were extremely complimentary about our fans overall saying that the city had been turned into a sea of blue from 8 yesterday morning and that apart from the one incident yesterday had been a very peaceful one. For the incident in the Grand Place, they laid most of the blame onto the police. They had a photo where they showed the under cover police going in with batons. They said that their sources had told them that there were some plain clothes Merseyside police in the square also, who had told the local under cover guys that they had seen one guy who was a known convicted football hooligan who was under a restraint order for attending football matches and another guy who was a known drug dealer. On this information the French police decided to go in to make arrests. The rest was almost inevitable.
Another thing they mentioned was that the local mayor had asked for no shops or supermarkets to sell alcohol on the day of the game and for police to confiscate any alcohol being consumed in the city centre. The shop-keepers decided to ignore this as they thought it would cause more problems than it solved. The police also decided to ignore it as they thought it could cause problems for them.
Given that this was reported in the local equivalent of the Daily Post and that they were so complimentary about our fans says a lot about how the issues seem to have been reported over here.
they could have nicked him outside that square thats my point handled badly

Just read through this thread and my first reaction is relief that everyone came back just about in one piece. After the attack at the Australian Bar on Wednesday, I was reading tweets on Thursday about it all going off and sh!tting myself that something really bad might happen.

If you watch the videos (which are really valuable in establishing what happened) and read the reports of people who were there, it was obviously caused by the plain clothes police (who looked like a bunch of thugs carrying batons) wading in and gripping someone without any warning or any suggestion that they were police. It's a stupid tactic given the number of blues in the square and the fact that the Everton fans were already on edge after Wednesday night's events. The bottle throwing was stupid but the response of firing tear gas and rubber bullets into a crowded area with women, kids and older folk is stupid to the point of incompetence. It could have caused a riot, and as others have said, it seemed that's what they wanted. The plain clothes police smiling away as it kicked off suggests they were enjoying themselves a bit too much. In the end, the majority of blues stayed calm and behaved impeccably when it could easily have gone off in a big way. It ended up something of a storm in a teacup that lasted a few minutes before settling back down and the calmness returned.

Contrast this with news reports of riots, clashes and the idiotic French politician who claimed Everton supporters were destroying the square. It is too easy to dig out the cliches as a journalist, but the facts get completely lost in the sensational headlines. The politician can put whatever spin he likes on it but the square is still very much standing and the bars, takeaways and businesses of Lille will be counting their takings with big smiles on their faces.

I didn't get to Lille but I'm all booked and ready for Wolfsburg. I think the blues that went to Lille (barring the usual handful of idiots) represented the club superbly as per usual.

Contrast this with news reports of riots, clashes and the idiotic French politician who claimed Everton supporters were destroying the square. It is too easy to dig out the cliches as a journalist, but the facts get completely lost in the sensational headlines. The politician can put whatever spin he likes on it but the square is still very much standing and the bars, takeaways and businesses of Lille will be counting their takings with big smiles on their faces.

I didn't get to Lille but I'm all booked and ready for Wolfsburg. I think the blues that went to Lille (barring the usual handful of idiots) represented the club superbly as per usual.

Walked across after the game, you coulda walked out of your shoes it was that sticky.

it was mersyside police spotters who sent them thugs in to nick that man

Hang on a sec.

Spotters don't make decisions.

They just provide intelligence.

Nothing to do with Merseyside police. The French police and media are trying to use the fact a British officer was there as some sort of mitigation for their inept behaviour.

There is none for their use of tear gas

rubber bullets or battons.

Which was totally unjustified

Status
Not open for further replies.