Gerard Deulofeu - Once a Blue, always a Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I don't understand is Deulofeu has time and time again crossed the ball in, which just requires an Everton player to be 2 yards from goal to get a tap in, but no-one makes the run. Again on Saturday this happened but no-one made the run.

Deulofeu does not always make the correct choice, but he has the ability to put in a good cross at times.

In the first half, we were on the counter attack and Deulofeu had the ball inside the Sunderland box, and we should have passed to Lukaku but instead he chose to shoot and messed up a good chance - want him to think a bit more about the team - if we were 3-0 up then fine shoot.

He was poor in the first half yesterday, our weakest player, but he improved in the second and arguably forced the OG.

He was given man of the match by Setanta Ireland....... Not sure what game you were watching yesterday :oops:

What I don't understand is Deulofeu has time and time again crossed the ball in, which just requires an Everton player to be 2 yards from goal to get a tap in, but no-one makes the run. Again on Saturday this happened but no-one made the run.

Deulofeu does not always make the correct choice, but he has the ability to put in a good cross at times.

In the first half, we were on the counter attack and Deulofeu had the ball inside the Sunderland box, and we should have passed to Lukaku but instead he chose to shoot and messed up a good chance - want him to think a bit more about the team - if we were 3-0 up then fine shoot.

This ^^^ If the lad was the finished article, he wouldn't be here on loan. There were times where he passed but no one had made the run, and times where he was selfish. He's a young lad and he's developing, he's not going to make the right decision all the time but while he's on the field defenders are terrified of him. I hope we manage to keep him for another season, and I'd wet dream if the new manager at Barca takes a dislike to him! :dance:

He was given man of the match by Setanta Ireland....... Not sure what game you were watching yesterday :oops:

Which took me by surprise. Still think he was poor in the first half, it was blind alleys and brick walls stuff. His MOTM award was for his second half influence, let's be honest.

I do like the lad, but he's a lot better than that!

the transfer ban on barca is actually good for us, barca won't sell him now and instead will want to develop him for the future especially as they cannot sign anyone.

i can see him rejoining on another loan to help with his development.

I have said this a thousand times but the sheer fact he runs at people and give us an outlet matters more to us than what he does when the ball is up there.

Yesterday is a prime example of that.

He made the wrong decision repeatedly, but the fact that he's up there and getting into the box is what leads to the goal.

Obviously a messi who provide that outler and also goals would be better but just that option of letting him run at people and scare the oppositions defence into dropping back makes us better.

Last edited:

This ^^^ If the lad was the finished article, he wouldn't be here on loan. There were times where he passed but no one had made the run, and times where he was selfish. He's a young lad and he's developing, he's not going to make the right decision all the time but while he's on the field defenders are terrified of him. I hope we manage to keep him for another season, and I'd wet dream if the new manager at Barca takes a dislike to him! :dance:

My dream scenario is to get 4th this season mate and buy Lukaku, loan delefeou another season, qualify top 4 again, following season new Barca manager doesn't reckon he would suit their system and offloads to us where he falls in love with us gets a everton tatt ala Duncan and starts talking all scouse with a spanish accent like

I have said this a thousand times but the sheer fact he runs at people and give us an outlet matters more to us than what he does when the ball is up there.

Yesterday is a prime example of that.

He made the wrong decision repeatedly, but the fact that he's up there and getting into the box is what leads to the goal.

Obviously a messi who provide that outler and also goals would be better but just that option of letting him run at people and scare the oppositions defence into dropping back makes us better.
this all day long, there is a world of difference between a player making a mistake after running 40 yards with the ball, rather than one who just gives it away in the center, if gerry gets it right, we score, if he doesn't he is still a threat, when someone (who shall remain nameless) just gives it away in the center, even if he gets it right it generally doesn't achieve a great deal. The risk/reward is far more favourable with a player like deulofeu

I think Gerry and McGeady do what Mirallas fails to do, and that is ultimately why Mirallas has been dropped! He needs to have a run diagonally at the fullback like Gerry does, have them back pedalling into their own box like a demented Tony Hibbert...

Away from home its hard to play our football at times - so it helps when we have those kind of players who are prepared to be direct and force opportunities, that is why I think the likes of Gerry and McGeady should start away games while Mirallas starts home game.

As someone mentioned above it can be very frustrating but being so direct can unlock stubborn defences by just getting yourself in the box, I hope Martinez keeps using them this way as It works.

Last edited:

He does what not many and only the good ones do. Don't get me wrong not putting him in the same league as them, but Toure, Hazard, Bale, Ronaldo, Messi, all get the ball and run at defenders, it's what the top class players do. Gerard isn't even close to them yet but at least he's direct, something we need more of. It's why Barkley's been such a big loss for us this season when he's been injured cause he runs at defenders and makes things happen...

How great is it to be spoilt for choice (for once) out wide?

No matter who starts, we generally have someone just as good to come off the bench. Must be exhausting for for opposing fullbacks and difficult for managers to plan against us. Deulefeu frightens the life out of the opposition. I wouldn't like us playing against him, that's for sure.

If he wants to become a real marquee talent however, he needs to work on his decision making. At times he goes back in on his right foot when shooting with the left is the better option and have better awareness of his team-mates when a pass is the better choice. Part of that is down to his wanting to make his mark, which shows a bit of desire and arrogance needed. Maybe if he becomes a more regular starter he'd settle down a bit.

How great is it to be spoilt for choice (for once) out wide?

No matter who starts, we generally have someone just as good to come off the bench. Must be exhausting for for opposing fullbacks and difficult for managers to plan against us. Deulefeu frightens the life out of the opposition. I wouldn't like us playing against him, that's for sure.

Very much this.

All 4 winger types offer stuff. And all equally annoy at times.

But having the options is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.