Gerard Deulofeu - Once a Blue, always a Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
The lad's a match winner mate.

Match winners take on situations that others wouldn't e.g. Rooney's halfway line shot, Barkley's 70 yard run yesterday etc etc but they don't always come off. Yes the lad needs to become a better decision maker, but only a fool would try and take the unpredictability out of his game.

He needs some of the selfishness beaten out of his game in my opinion mate

He'll never be a truly great player until he does so

I saw him track back several times last night (its the first time I've seen him do it). He won a tackle, I think.

No, this does not mean I like defensive wingers, it means I think Deulofeu may be turning the selfish corner.

He needs some of the selfishness beaten out of his game in my opinion mate

He'll never be a truly great player until he does so
Disagree.

Ronaldo.

He's not nearly as selfish as you're making out either, he does whip balls into the box on a regular basis. Our forwards not making runs is what stops those from being assists. I don't think he's too selfish, I think he tends to be a bit too flashy currently. He wants to beat a man before doing something rather than just doing it.

He would rather go past a player and make a pass rather than just making the pass to begin with. That will go away with age I hope.

It's not selfishness it's showmanship that holds him back. Once (if) he gets over that - watch out world.

Disagree.

Ronaldo.

He's not nearly as selfish as you're making out either, he does whip balls into the box on a regular basis. Our forwards not making runs is what stops those from being assists. I don't think he's too selfish, I think he tends to be a bit too flashy currently. He wants to beat a man before doing something rather than just doing it.

He would rather go past a player and make a pass rather than just making the pass to begin with. That will go away with age I hope.

It's not selfishness it's showmanship that holds him back. Once (if) he gets over that - watch out world.

Ronaldo does a lot for the teams he plays in mate

Everything goes through him when he plays for Portugal and he often sets up other players to get the goals

Disagree.

Ronaldo.

Showmanship which is rooted in ego-centrism.

Ronaldo does a lot for the teams he plays in mate

Everything goes through him when he plays for Portugal and he often sets up other players to get the goals

Deu also sets players up, we just very rarely have forwards in the box when he sets stuff up. It's poor communication between our forwards (a 20 year old in the main) and Deu (also 20).

His main issue is the fact that he wants to run playground (sexy) tricks before making the correct football decision. And I mean before, he does make the decision generally, if his trick comes off.

I mean, Cryuf could be a right selfish sod at times, but he knew when to be selfish and when to play for the team. Holland's Total Football side, in my opinion the best team ever, was built on a balance of teamwork and individual skill
Interesting comment on MOTD by Leonardo saying that Ibrahimovic thinks he's twice the player he actually is,and that having a big ego is an important thing in the very best players

You're right

Our strikers should have psychic ability and know exactly what he's going to do

How silly of me

psssh silly response.

wingers like Deulo have been common throughout the history of the game at least in the selfish side of his game. The teammates would still see he likes to hit the byline and regularly whips in a lethal cross in front of the keeper.

Theyd see this in every training session. No need for special powers to know youd be best off hitting the area near post just in front of the keeper just as Deulo heads past the defender.

Maybe its something thats just rare in a lot of strikers/attackers....like the ability to actually read a knockdown/clearance and anticipate where its going instead of standing gawping at your teammate win a header only for it to go to waste.

Duelofeu also did well in nearly getting his head kicked off trying to win the ball that eventually broke to Barkley who went on to score.

He's definitely improving that aspect of his game, I remember seeing him come on in a game earlier in the season and he didn't even bother jumping for a winnable ball vs the opponents left back.

His injury couldn't have come at a worse time for him, he was coming bang into form and pushing being first choice. When your game is based around speed and trickery it'll take a while to get back to full confidence after a hamstring injury. We're beginning to see him at full throttle again now.

Either way, its clear that the manager wants him to take on players. He does it nearly every time he gets the ball, so I must assume that he has Bobby's approval. I still think that he is not necessarily a fit for Barca because of this. Will be a great player, but does not seem to be on pace to fit into their style of play. More a RM player than a Barca player for me. Maybe this means that Barca will sell him for big $$ (money we probably won't have). Not every elite Barca product needs to get into their first team.

Status
Not open for further replies.