Gerard Deulofeu - Once a Blue, always a Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also remember the team being wasteful in that 1st half despite having Riise in his pocket...Selfishness is going to follow him everywhere, he is a goalscorer - they're not known for sharing

He was wasteful in his greediness and there's been far too much of that so far. The expectations are so high at Barca that its in their best interests he learns to lose some of that before getting regular game time for them.

I don't think people are minimizing his contribution...we would like him here next season. However, the point everyone is trying to make is that he is far from the finished article. The loan benefits both ways, not just us for having him..but for Barca by us actually playing him. If he doesn't play for Barca next season then he will improve less than if he stays with us...or do you disagree?

You'll search long & hard for posts from me claiming Deulofeu is the finished article, but you won't find any

Where have I rubbished the concept of a loan as well?...Some of you have taken it personally when all I have said from the outset is that in December I realized he was going to come back sooner than later...That it would be a one year deal rather than two...And not long after that, Tata Martino & MD publicly reiterated that conclusion

He will play for Barcelona next season and I imagine he'll play no less than he has for Everton so far which was my broader point...He's ready for 1st team football...He doesn't have to be ready to be a starter

So you watch all the matches of barca, barca reserves, barca youth and any clubs with barca players on loan?

Maybe if as well as that you get a few more tattoos with some really cutting insults at barca's rivals, they'll accept you as a honoury spaniard some day.

I follow a club with a great youth cantera, if you can't catch a match of the 1st team, it's easy to see the youth ones for free...Plus, I like seeing the up & coming talents...I make it a hobby to predict who will make it and who won't...I can only think of one I misjudged, Rochina

You'll search long & hard for posts from me claiming Deulofeu is the finished article, but you won't find any

Where have I rubbished the concept of a loan as well?...Some of you have taken it personally when all I have said from the outset is that in December I realized he was going to come back sooner than later...That it would be a one year deal rather than two...And not long after that, Tata Martino & MD publicly reiterated that conclusion

He will play for Barcelona next season and I imagine he'll play no less than he has for Everton so far which was my broader point...He's ready for 1st team football...He doesn't have to be ready to be a starter

Surely if at Everton he'll play a lot more next season than he has this (hence a lot more than he would at Barca) which should be the broader point?

I also remember the team being wasteful in that 1st half despite having Riise in his pocket...Selfishness is going to follow him everywhere, he is a goalscorer - they're not known for sharing

Goalscorer selfishness is different from how he is. Even the most skilled of goalscorers will lay the ball in front of goal for the greater good of the team. I've seen Del run down the line then try to dribble back into the box trying to get in shoot position when the better chance comes from someone already square in the box or on the back post. He is talented, has pace, and is determined, but his fault comes in his selfishness.

I'd be surprised if Barcelona's motive in loaning us GD wasn't also to establish a connection they could use in the transfer market. We bring through some gems ultimately sold off to United or City. Two way street.

I was talking about the current squad, not players of all time...Roberto would be
in that group with Song, I agree...But close control for midfielders, playing between the lines is a staple of how players are brought up...Cesc has lost that

Did you actually watch Arsenal when Fabregas was there!? They are hardly Stoke. Get off your high horse.

You are forgetting Sergi Roberto, who even after spending his whole life at the club is the least technically skilled midfielder of the first team.
Technical skills depend on talent not on where a player develops. Zidane or Pirlo didnt come through La Masia remember...

Sergi Roberto will be a main man at the club for years to come, I'm certain of it. Even Xavi and Iniesta took their time to really make a mark. The kid is not the finished product but still has a higher technical ability than a large percentage of footballers.

Surely if at Everton he'll play a lot more next season than he has this (hence a lot more than he would at Barca) which should be the broader point?

Ideally, loans typically work that way, yes..However, considering that he's shown he can succeed (Since dominates strikes a nerve in most of you) at this level then he should be improving upon that talented game where it will ultimately be put to use...Again, Barcelona doesn't usually loan out players they count on - they prefer to bring them up playing their way...You can debate the fallibility of just such an approach but in Barcelona's defense, this has worked wonders for them...for years

I'm sure I posted this early on but Deulo is one of the youth players at the club I like the least and that goes back 4 years ago to when I first saw him play live...No one questioned his talent or skill level (I think Barkley, btw, is of the same level), it was always about how hard he worked on the defensive end and whether he could link up with players of a similar skill level to his...I figured he'd eventually learn to track back otherwise the other 1st teamers would never let him get away with it...I just wondered whether he would beat 1st team defenders with the sort of ease he always has against younger ones

Now, I see it at Everton and in the Premiership...this, despite the hyperbole many of you feel I am guilty of...I see it, he can beat defenders on this level with ease and I see the same sort of panic in them that I'd always see on the youth levels...So, for me, that means he's ready to play for Barcelona's 1st team...The club & it's coaches have talked about his need to work harder on the defensive end for years, publicly and I'm sure privately...It will come, hopefully, but he's ready to contribute for his ability to create danger and goals alone...He could get minutes now, IMO

Goalscorer selfishness is different from how he is. Even the most skilled of goalscorers will lay the ball in front of goal for the greater good of the team. I've seen Del run down the line then try to dribble back into the box trying to get in shoot position when the better chance comes from someone already square in the box or on the back post. He is talented, has pace, and is determined, but his fault comes in his selfishness.

I've also seen Messi do that, that is not something Barcelona may need to stamp out completely from Deulo's game...That's also part of what makes him the star he is

Status
Not open for further replies.