Everton's own memorial service for Hillsborough at Goodison this afternoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoysInBlue

Player Valuation: £50m
Just wanted to say that I thought the club were terrific this afternoon.

I attended the service at Goodison and thought it would be just the screening and that would be it, but we got another 30 minutes on top of that.

The Park End was totally full of fans, reds and blues, which was good to see, along with all the Everton staff and players, minus Martinez and Elstone who were at Anfield.

Rev Harry Ross did a prayer to start with, then they showed service from Anfield on 2 big screens positioned directly in front of the Park End, on either side.

Then at the end of it, Bill Kenwright appeared on the stage and thanked everyone for coming and said that he felt that with all these people coming to Goodison, that they should pay their own respects in some way too. He said some words about supporting the Justice for the 96 campaign, then Peter Howarth from the Hollies came on stage to sing 2 songs, 'Lament', and then 'He Ain't Heavy', accompanied by performing arts students in EFC and LFC shirts. Then Jagielka and Baines both did readings.

The ceremony ended with 96 schoolchildren carrying a chain of 96 scarves, EFC & LFC all tied together in a lengthy chain, as they carried it from Goodison to Anfield. Graeme Sharp & Ian Snodin headed the procession, with Kenwright at the back.

It was very well managed and I thought the club did great.

That's good to hear, I'm glad we as a club take an active part in the memorials. It was a tragedy for the city and transcends football

Status
Not open for further replies.