Everton on TV in USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in Santa Monica this weekend. Will I Get to see it on TV in a hotel or bar? What time will it be on?. If not, can anyone give me a link please.
This is one game I don't want to miss, because we are going to spank 'em!!!

TX Bill, I follow you on Twitter, I'm @BWISnyder. I see you're a big Dynamo fan. Im definitely rooting for you guys the rest of the playoffs. Great squad, even better coach. Beautiful stadium as well, I love PPL Park up here in Philly, but man, I'd love to see a game in Houston. Great setting as well, looks like it's pretty close to downtown.

Great win for the Blues today. COYB!!!

TX Bill, I follow you on Twitter, I'm @BWISnyder. I see you're a big Dynamo fan. Im definitely rooting for you guys the rest of the playoffs. Great squad, even better coach. Beautiful stadium as well, I love PPL Park up here in Philly, but man, I'd love to see a game in Houston. Great setting as well, looks like it's pretty close to downtown.

Great win for the Blues today. COYB!!!

Thank you sir. The new stadium is great and I'm hoping we continue our unbeaten streak against DC United in it tomorrow. Thanks for the Twitter follow and if I'm not following you back, shoot me a tweet and I'll get that fixed.

Maybe the US contingent can help with a question I have.

Why on earth do they need to remind people what colours both teams are wearing every 10 minutes. Are Americans really that stupid that they forget approximately every 10 minutes as to who is who?

Maybe the US contingent can help with a question I have.

Why on earth do they need to remind people what colours both teams are wearing every 10 minutes. Are Americans really that stupid that they forget approximately every 10 minutes as to who is who?

I notice this more on ESPN and other 'mainstream' channels. At this point, soccer is still in the business of winning over casual fans in the US, so the commentary often has to be a little more basic. They do it in MLS a lot to my great consternation. They're assuming the viewer knows nothing about soccer.

I notice this more on ESPN and other 'mainstream' channels. At this point, soccer is still in the business of winning over casual fans in the US, so the commentary often has to be a little more basic. They do it in MLS a lot to my great consternation. They're assuming the viewer knows nothing about soccer.

This.

We're getting better though. The supporters that is. More knowledgeable fans here now compared to years ago.

I just assumed as it's a fairly big game, that it would be live, but the mid table clash of the Hammers v The ****e is of more importance! Oh well, guess I'll just stay in the hotel and watch it on the lappie.

Still up for a few pints on the Saturday night, if anyone is interested? Probably gonna go to The National & Beer Revolution.

I think it's two related issues. First, as you noted, the commentary does have to be a little more basic because of the general unfamiliarity with the sport and the clubs involved. Second (again, related to the first), the uniform "norms" in soccer are different from those in virtually all other American sports, as are the box score listings. To wit, in all American sports, the "home" team is typically identified by the white/non-white jersey. In football, home team = colored jersey; basketball/baseball, home team = white jersey.

Re the box score, in the USA box scores/listings/match statuses are often shown vertically, with the home team on the bottom and the visitor on the top, like so:

Everton 3
Reading 0

In fact, where horizontal scores are shown American sports, the visiting team is typically listed first. Thus, when a casual viewer sits down to watch ESPN and sees soccer, he/she will find two teams, often both having colored jerseys, and a match score status that reads Reading 0 - 3 Everton. For most yanks, this suggests incorrectly that Everton is at home--whichever team they are (can't tell due to jerseys).

This.

We're getting better though. The supporters that is. More knowledgeable fans here now compared to years ago.

Yes--getting much better. I actually tried to follow the MLS many years ago, and got bored/frustrated with both the play and the coverage/commentary quality, and I completely quit, opting instead to only watch international football and PL coverage (when it was available). Now, after being more involved with the PL, I have gone back and watched a few recent MLS matches and been pleasantly surprised at the improved commentary. The quality of the football itself has also improved some, but the biggest change to me was actually the atmosphere captured on television--having some dedicated soccer stadiums (instead of being forced to always play in awkward NFL stadiums), loyal supporter groups, and better camera work has dramatically improved the appearance of the game.

I just went to my second MLS game a couple weeks ago (first was like 4 years ago in DC) - the last game of regular season for LA Galaxy. It was pretty good; seats on upper level right at the halfway line for about ~$50 and the level of play wasn't too bad. Couldn't care less about seeing Beckham but got to watch ol' Donny play. Now to get him back to Everton...

Anyway, hoping the MLS continues to improve.

I just went to my second MLS game a couple weeks ago (first was like 4 years ago in DC) - the last game of regular season for LA Galaxy. It was pretty good; seats on upper level right at the halfway line for about ~$50 and the level of play wasn't too bad. Couldn't care less about seeing Beckham but got to watch ol' Donny play. Now to get him back to Everton...

Anyway, hoping the MLS continues to improve.

You can drop the and just call it MLS. Not sure why but people love to call it The MLS.

Status
Not open for further replies.